Spyder Garage

Default Last ride of the season

Two days ago I got out for a nice ride, and I think that it may have been the last ride for the season. Temps are down to the 40's, so while I certainly could ride, I find its just not much fun when it gets colder than about 55 degrees. Of course after a few months of winter, a 50 degree Spring day seems perfect for a ride after the bike has been sitting in the garage for a few months, but right now I think its time for being put away. The one good thing about not riding for the winter months is that when Spring arrives it is even more special to get out again on a motorcycle. Those first few rides always remind me of when I first started riding motorcycles. So today I will add the Stabil, make sure the Battery Tender is hooked up properly, stuff a rag in the exhaust, leave a few mothballs on the seat, and put the cover over the bike and let it sleep in the garage until Spring.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Two days ago I got out for a nice ride, and I think that it may have been the last ride for the season. Temps are down to the 40's, so while I certainly could ride, I find its just not much fun when it gets colder than about 55 degrees. Of course after a few months of winter, a 50 degree Spring day seems perfect for a ride after the bike has been sitting in the garage for a few months, but right now I think its time for being put away. The one good thing about not riding for the winter months is that when Spring arrives it is even more special to get out again on a motorcycle. Those first few rides always remind me of when I first started riding motorcycles. So today I will add the Stabil, make sure the Battery Tender is hooked up properly, stuff a rag in the exhaust, leave a few mothballs on the seat, and put the cover over the bike and let it sleep in the garage until Spring.
    My first motorcycle (1966) I had no problem riding in Duluth MN in 20 below zero. Yes, that was correct: Below Zero. Those were the days before winter gear was even thought of. Time passed,
    40 years later...I am in Alaska. I would ride as low as zero degrees. No snow or ice on the roads. For me, that was always a no no. 10 years later, 30 degrees was about as cold as I would ride. Moved to Arkansas, in 2019, first year, I rode Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Because I could. My last couple of years...40 above was feeling a bit on the cold side. Now I don't worry anymore. Health caused me to abandon the Spyders. Back to a car and a Kawi Mule for some off roading once in awhile.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I put my Mothballs in a dish, under the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I put my Mothballs in a dish, under the bike.
    Bugga!

I had a smart response for that juuust ready to go when I remembered that the Moderators here are pretty tough on keeping all the posts 'G' rated!

That aside, it's a good thing we can ride most of the year where I am... Or at least I can choose to ride or not on the days that are too hot, wet, cold, or windy!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Whatever Peter. Fill ya boots or have a go ya mug.

The real question is a why a whole dish-full I reckon I reckon.

Palm oil base plastics is the answer.......
    It must smell good, be nutritional, and taste good.

The several packets are opened and tipped into an old Tupperware container that looks a bit like a Colander now with a lid that's taped up so it doesn't come off if it's tipped over, and it's inaccessible to small children who may mistake them for lollies and get really sick.

Read on...

Did you hear the true story about the bloke who had $10,606.30c damage caused by a rat to an 11 month old GL1800 back in May 2012.

Notification of damage, repairs, and parts required are as follows:

Salvage $340.00
    1 RH Upper Radiator Hose $13.70
    1 Riders Seat $1350.50
    1 LH Pillion Seat Grab Handle $126.50
    Front Wiring Sub Harness $560.30
    Main Wiring Harness $3951.50
    Top Radiator Cover Panel $90.60
    Gromet Cover $9.20
    4lt Coolant (Silicate Free) $90.00
    Sundries $24.00
    Labour $4050.00

TOTAL (GST Incl) $10606.30

So fire for effect as they say, I won't be offended.
    But it's not a cook up if you make the mistake only once. Forewarned is forearmed.
    That will never occur again in my bike-shed/workshop again to the best of my ability.

Bit of light reading here if you're interested.

https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads.../#post-2225418

Iso
    Last edited by Isopedella; 11-20-2023 at 04:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Best thing I ever did, move to Fla. from Detroit where I was born/raised, from a rider’s perspective. Why? It’s easier to shovel rain than it is to shovel snow. Currently and since 1985 we ride 51 out of 52 weeks a year. That said, no riding der Spyder (2021 RTL) this morning. Rode it from the house to the barn only to put the Thanksgiving ham in the tack room fridge (was thawing nicely in the kitchen sink but it’s time to move it under refrigeration) and all the house refrigerators were full. Anywho I turned her off because I planned on sipping a beer after I placed the ham in the tack room fridge and after the beer was drained & I got on Thingfish to go for a little early morning putt, the dang battery is flat. I really believe the BRP engineers should have spec’d a larger battery for the Spyder. I’m guessing the 27 month old battery is due for a replacement, or does the cabal say differently?

Best,

Jake
    Reddick, Fla.
    It’s never too late for a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Trust me, I know how you feel.

(BTW, you forgot to "wash and detail my bike" prior to storing it, LOL).
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    Best thing I ever did, move to Fla. from Detroit where I was born/raised, from a rider’s perspective. Why? It’s easier to shovel rain than it is to shovel snow. Currently and since 1985 we ride 51 out of 52 weeks a year. That said, no riding der Spyder (2021 RTL) this morning. Rode it from the house to the barn only to put the Thanksgiving ham in the tack room fridge (was thawing nicely in the kitchen sink but it’s time to move it under refrigeration) and all the house refrigerators were full. Anywho I turned her off because I planned on sipping a beer after I placed the ham in the tack room fridge and after the beer was drained & I got on Thingfish to go for a little early morning putt, the dang battery is flat. I really believe the BRP engineers should have spec’d a larger battery for the Spyder. I’m guessing the 27 month old battery is due for a replacement, or does the cabal say differently?

Best,

Jake
    Reddick, Fla.
    It’s never too late for a happy childhood
    If I get LESS than 5 to 6 years from my Spyder battery .... I'm pissed ..... good luck ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-27-2023 at 05:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

..... I got on Thingfish to go for a little early morning putt, the dang battery is flat. I really believe the BRP engineers should have spec’d a larger battery for the Spyder. I’m guessing the 27 month old battery is due for a replacement, or does the cabal say differently?
    Sadly, this is becoming quite a problem with 2020+ Spyders!

Back around 2013/14, maybe even as late as 2017/18, it'd usually take some serious lack of riding &/or outright battery abuse/neglect to kill a Spyder's OEM battery in that short of a time-frame...

But come the 2020 & newer models, even some of those OEM batteries that are charged properly before installation and then well maintained/treated properly are finding it difficult to survive for long at all!! In fact, many didn't even last as long as 18 months, let alone 24+ months!!

So I reckon you did well getting 27 months - many haven't lasted anywhere near that long!

Which basically means that yeah, you are likely facing the need for a new battery; or maybe if you're really keen & have the time & energy to devote to it, you might try & have some success revitalising it; altho given the performance of OEM batteries from recent years/models, I'd reckon that even in the unlikely event that you did get it to hold a usable charge ever again, it probably wouldn't last &/or do so for too long afterward anyway - and if you rode anywhere with it like that, you'd be risking getting stuck somewhere well away from home with a dead battery and maybe with no alternative but to replace it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-27-2023 at 05:15 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If I get LESS than 5 to 6 years from my Spyder battery .... I'm pissed ..... good mluck ....Mike

~~~thanks Mike for spotting my inquiry and answering it. Glad to hear you and I’ll assume others are expecting & getting 5-6 years from the Yuasa spec’d battery for the Spyder. I’ve only had 25 + month’s experience with mine so I didn’t know what to expect. I’ve had good longevity with Yuasa batteries in the past yet with the Spyder and all of the electrical demands I’ve placed on mine (namely playing the radio with the motor off), and the fact I’ve had to hook up the charger more often than not, I’ve wondered what others see (batt life expectancy) with theirs

I never felt I was asking too much from this battery listening to the radio with the motor off for say 15-20 minutes of easy listening yet at the least opportune time, she goes flat. Late last week she went flat again. I had hooked up a battery charging pigtail with the requisite two prong trailer plug to make life easier in these circumstances. Jake s’been using a Deltran Battery Tender Plus to put life back in his OEM Spydie battery, for times like these. Been plugging the battery tender in every night, hoping I’ll find time the next day to remove said battery and hit up one of a few places that I trust to give me an honest assessment of the batteries overall health. Going to try later on today

Not that anyone asked but, I’ve been trying to take close to a week off and slide on down to cayo hueso before X-Mass and see the dancing girls. I don’t need to find out the OEM batt isn’t up to the task

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Sadly, this is becoming quite a problem with 2020+ Spyders!

Back around 2013/14, maybe even as late as 2017/18, it'd usually take some serious lack of riding &/or outright battery abuse/neglect to kill a Spyder's OEM battery in that short of a time-frame...

But come the 2020 & newer models, even some of those OEM batteries that are charged properly before installation and then well maintained/treated properly are finding it difficult to survive for long at all!! In fact, many didn't even last as long as 18 months, let alone 24+ months!!

So I reckon you did well getting 27 months - many haven't lasted anywhere near that long!

Which basically means that yeah, you are likely facing the need for a new battery; or maybe if you're really keen & have the time & energy to devote to it, you might try & have some success revitalising it; altho given the performance of OEM batteries from recent years/models, I'd reckon that even in the unlikely event that you did get it to hold a usable charge ever again, it probably wouldn't last &/or do so for too long afterward anyway - and if you rode anywhere with it like that, you'd be risking getting stuck somewhere well away from home with a dead battery and maybe with no alternative but to replace it!

~~~just saw your reply Peter. I musta missed it while replying to Mike. So it is a thing with my late model RT Limited, and according to you, I’ve cheated the executioner, as it were. Well, I’ll be guh damned & go to Hell. I thought something was fishy. I don’t put a lot of miles on my RT but, she gets ridden really regularly, like daily & I make sure the motor gets hot before putting it away at least twice a week. Seeing how I live on a farm I’m taking the Spyder to the barn or down to the road to get the mail so as to justify owning this machine. Then there’s the grocery run just to keep the odometer respectable. Wal-Mart where I shop for the bulk of our viddles is a 25 mile loop anyways yet whenever I feel the starter cranking slowly I make sure I go for a ride to getr’ hot & keep the the battery up

I guess, if she eats batteries, we’ll have to feed her

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

~~~just saw your reply Peter. I musta missed it while replying to Mike. So it is a thing with my late model RT Limited, and according to you, I’ve cheated the executioner, as it were. Well, I’ll be guh damned & go to Hell. I thought something was fishy. I don’t put a lot of miles on my RT but, she gets ridden really regularly, like daily & I make sure the motor gets hot before putting it away at least twice a week. Seeing how I live on a farm I’m taking the Spyder to the barn or down to the road to get the mail so as to justify owning this machine. Then there’s the grocery run just to keep the odometer respectable. Wal-Mart where I shop for the bulk of our viddles is a 25 mile loop anyways yet whenever I feel the starter cranking slowly I make sure I go for a ride to getr’ hot & keep the the battery up

I guess, if she eats batteries, we’ll have to feed her

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    Jake I read Peter's assessment also and agree ...... however I bought ( a few years ago ) a small Lithium Battery jumper, that will/can start the Spyder if the battery fails .... then I will re-place it .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-05-2023 at 12:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Gentlemen, Ladies!, i have good news to share. The OEM battery in the 2021 Spyder RTLimited i purchased new in early August of that year is in excellent condition as per the battery testing that was done on November 28th 2023. I took Thingfish’s battery to the battery shop i trust most with charging, Hurricane Batteries Ocala Fla. The techs there hooked the battery up to their tester and it was found to be in excellent condition. FWIW I charged the battery fully the night before using my Deltran brand 1.5 Amp battery charger. I took a few pics of the equipment used for this testing

Apologies in advance for my poor photo taking/posting skills displayed here. I had a pic of their tester showing both displays in 1 pic but it was somehow deleted. Anyways, the top pic is showing the amount of amperes placed in the battery while testing to simulate the amount of amps the starter would draw while the bottom photo shows the results of this test. I believe the starters in our Spyders draw in the neighborhood of 200 Amps so i asked the tech why he didn’t dial up the Amps on their tester to reflect that amount. His reply was that if he did increase the Amps to draw double the amount shown, that it would harm my battery. This establishment, Hurricane Batteries has been in business for 72 years at this location so I defer to their superior knowledge

So Peter, I can only assume the OEM battery in Thingfish (my 2021 RT Limited) is bucking the trend. There’s a lot of satisfaction in that, especially considering I don’t need to purchase a replacement battery

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Jake I read Peter's assessment also and agree ...... however I bought ( a few years ago ) a small Lithium Battery jumper, that will/can start the Spyder if the battery fails .... then I will re-pace it .....Mike

~~~I’m not following you here Mike, the term you used, re-pace it?

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

~~~I’m not following you here Mike, the term you used, re-pace it?

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Battery - - -re-place it ..... typo ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Battery - - -re-place it ..... typo ....Mike

~~~thank you for clearing that up for me MIke!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black