Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RT Base rear Air Shock Losing air -anyone else?

I have a 2021 RT base , the rear air shock seems to lose air over a 3 week period. I put 30 LBS of air and in 3 weeks it is down to 9 LBS.. You can tell from the way the bike rides that the air is low. When the shock has 30LBS it rides nice.. Has any one else had that problem?

I did have the shock checked and the dealer could not find a leak.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-14-2023 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    I have a 2021 RT base , the rear air shock seems to lose air over a 3 week period. I put 30 LBS of air and in 3 weeks it is down to 9 LBS.. You can tell from the way the bike rides that the air is low. When the shock has 30LBS it rides nice.. Has any one else had that problem?

I did have the shock checked and the dealer could not find a leak.
    Well it has a leak!!!! ..... Check the Schrader vale for TIGHTNESS ..... if tight make some soapy water and use a small brush on ALL the connections. ..... my hose to the air bag was not tight when I bought mine, so I tightened it ....no issues since ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-14-2023 at 05:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

I don't know if mine loses air that quickly but when I have checked it, I've had to add 20 or so pounds each time. I'm going to save up for an Elka 2 rear shock and replace the air shock in the spring.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Exactly as Mike says, it has a leak, TNT. It’s a manual system, so it is not connected to a compressor, so the only way it can be losing air is via a leak in the shraeder, or a hole in the bag. Mine on my ‘16 F3-L use to leak a little (maybe 5 lbs over a month), but nothing like you are experiencing. I’d take it back and charge them them with finding the leak, as it definitely has one.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I made an appoinment to have it looked on Friday morning.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

I run at 50lbs to start a ride. From weekend to weekend, I usually need to add as much as 8 lbs but usually less than 4.
    I guess it leaks a little but not enough to let the dealer hold it hostage.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I told the dealer if they need to order any parts I will come back. No need to keep the bike while waiting for a part.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)

Spyder Garage

Mine leaks, I just always add more air to it. It's part of my pre-ride routine now lol
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Late, but my 2020 RT base rear shock bladder was losing air. I tested with soapy water and found nothing. Finally replaced the schraeder valve itself and no more leaks.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

It's sad to hear all you guys with these NEW bikes saying you have air leaks! I want to say if I was you the bike would be going to the shop under warranty and make them fix the darn thing. It's not the point that you are holding the dealer hostage, it's the point that BRP is charging a hefty price for a product that has a problem. And if you don't let them know that one of their steps of production is sluffing off, they will keep doing it down the line! That dealer will get payed for their work. And hopefully BRP will wake up and fix their issue. Like I've said before, this systems great when it works right, but it sucks when it don't. Long and the short of it, IT SHOULD NOT LOOSE AIR. It may act like a tire and go up and down with temp, but it should not go flat.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The Schrader valve was bad. (You were right Mike!) They replaced it and sent me on my way. (No Charge).

FYI, the best way to tell if you lost air in the shock - Fill it with 45 LBS; You will see the backend rise and be able to see over your windshield; when you are losing air from the shock, you will see more windshield in your view. Plus, you will feel the bike bottoming out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-17-2023 at 05:21 PM.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    The Schrader valve was bad. (You were right Mike!) They replaced it and sent me on my way. (No Charge)...
    Thanks for the update, TNT. I still don’t understand how the dealer could send you away, saying “there’s no leak”, the first time. It couldn’t have been anything other than a leak. You wonder what their thought processes are?
    At least they didn’t charge you...

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-17-2023 at 05:22 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

It's not a matter of someone having this problem. It's a matter of *everyone* having this problem.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chipveres View Post
    It's not a matter of someone having this problem. It's a matter of *everyone* having this problem.
    Not me, my pump went years ago and I went manual fill and haven't looked back since. from here if I keep the old girl, she'll get a new shock on the rear and be done with the lame air bag system.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Peteoz, the first time they checked the shock was while I was getting the rear tire changed. It was an after-thought, "Hey while you are changing the rear tire check the air shock, I lose air every couple of weeks in the shock." They came back and said they did not find a leak and said it could be the extension I had on it. So when I brought it back the second time, I took the extension off. That is when they found the leak. I really did not mind going back to the dealer, it is a nice ride going by blueberry farms.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2023 at 11:06 AM.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)