Spyder Garage

Default VSS, Check Engine, and Limp Mode lights keep reoccurring - any ideas/advice?

My 2014 RT VSS light illuminates, Check Engine light illuminates and the Limp Mode starts flashing. With limp mode I can drive normally up to 58 MPH, no higher. When I turn the engine off, then restart, the bike resets and everything is normal, however it keeps on reoccurring. Seems to only happen with moderate braking at low speeds. Oil level is correct, brake fluid is correct, both front and rear brake pads are in excellent condition, bike runs at normal temperature. If anyone has any guidance or advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
    Randy
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2023 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Next time it occurs, do not shut the bike off, just take it to the dealer. Once at the dealer, do not shut the bike off. Have them connect their laptop while the bike is running.

Can a 2014 display the error codes? If so, take a picture of the codes for documentation. You can Google the error codes and find out what they are. Try Googling "Can Am RT error code ABC123".
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-13-2023 at 02:31 AM.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Viggy View Post
    My 2014 RT VSS light illuminates, Check Engine light illuminates and the Limp Mode starts flashing. With limp mode I can drive normally up to 58 MPH, no higher. When I turn the engine off, then restart, the bike resets and everything is normal, however it keeps on reoccurring. Seems to only happen with moderate braking at low speeds. Oil level is correct, brake fluid is correct, both front and rear brake pads are in excellent condition, bike runs at normal temperature. If anyone has any guidance or advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
    Randy
    Since about early June this year I have been having the same issues ..... However, the Spyder has run fine for the past 7000 miles; also, I am actually getting 2mpg better.... Good Luck .... Mike

PS: I've had it up to 90 MPH while in Limp Mode ...

PPS: my Code was P 0171
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-13-2023 at 02:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Multiple issues all at once double check battery connections & load test. Try getting codes before turning off
    (push -hold both mode ,setting & push blinker cancel) dealer with Buds can review history hopefully ez fix -odd mph to act up.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Not saying this is what your bike is trying to tell you but from a google search:

A P0171 code is set by your vehicle's powertrain control module (PCM) when it detects that the air-to-fuel ratio of your vehicle is too lean. This means that the PCM is relaying that the engine is receiving too much air into the combustion chamber and not enough fuel.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From the service manual (a recommended investment):

P0171

ECM

Fuel correction reached the maximum limit, multiplicative

Any reason which will cause a lean condition under load, ex:
    Fuel pressure too low
    Clogged fuel filter
    Clogged fuel injector
    Large quantity of ethanol fuel mixed in the tank
    If ECM first initialization is performed GBPS initialization must be done as per Warranty Bulletin 2010-4 procedure
    Check injector and fuel supply system.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

All the help is greatly appreciated. I just don't understand why it only occurs with moderate braking at low speeds. Mind you, I hardly brake at high speeds. I'll test that ony next ride. If it is a fuel to air ratio, I would think it would occur at all speeds. I will change the fuel filter this week. Just happened to change the air filter a couple of weeks ago.

Spyder Garage

This might relate: When you are braking, make sure you are not also trying to accelerate. I have been with a couple of riders who ride with their foot on the brake pedal. That often results in codes and limp mode.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)