Spyder Garage

Default Anyone here ever need Garmin service? Cost? Any experiences?

Well .. Today my Garmin Zumo XT was on until it shut off. Won't power back up. 1st thought was the power cable. The other accessory connected still powers up. Took the GPS into the house and used the USB cable to connect to my computer. No power. Grabbed one of my 12v Garmin auto cords and tried it in the car. No power. Thinking something in the GPS gave up the ship. Hence my question. Anyone here ever need direct servicing from Garmin? Reasonable cost? With a $400 GPS, I'm thinking repair first. It is beyond its two year warranty. Not worried about time frame as the byke is going into storage next weekend. Anyone with Garmin service experience? Thx
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2023 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Years ago my Garmin 660 crapped out. I contacted Garmin and was able to purchase a refurbished one at a reasonable price. If you contact Garmin CS, they're pretty helpful.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Only with battery replacement for my Zumo 590, once under warranty when the original would not charge to more than 85% and I frequently got Low Battery warning when I shut down the Spyder after a long day of riding under Spyder power, and second time, on my nickel when battery died. Lost a bunch of routes in the internal storage but had .gpx files on desktop computer. MP3 music files on SD card not affected.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Years ago my Garmin 660 crapped out. I contacted Garmin and was able to purchase a refurbished one at a reasonable price. If you contact Garmin CS, they're pretty helpful.
    Yup .. Will be calling tomorrow.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Garmin has good support. I had a 590 that died and they replaced it with a 595 refurb. I discovered a bug in their 595 routing engine that I could duplicate and sent them a dump. They had an update with the fix 3 days later.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Try "press and hold the power button", sometimes that is what brings it back to life. At least it does on my Garmin 590
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-13-2023 at 05:44 AM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I have had good luck with their support. I remember on one occasion the tech had me do a hard reboot to fix my problem, but I don't remember the steps! Sorry.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-13-2023 at 05:43 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    Try "press and hold the power button", sometimes that is what brings it back to life. At least it does on my Garmin 590
    Yup .. I figured maybe it had a force type shutdown. No go

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Well .. Today my Garmin Zumo XT was on until it shut off. Won't power back up. 1st thought was the power cable. The other accessory connected still powers up. Took the GPS into the house and used the USB cable to connect to my computer. No power. Grabbed one of my 12v Garmin auto cords and tried it in the car. No power. Thinking something in the GPS gave up the ship. Hence my question. Anyone here ever need direct servicing from Garmin? Reasonable cost? With a $400 GPS, I'm thinking repair first. It is beyond its two year warranty. Not worried about time frame as the byke is going into storage next weekend. Anyone with Garmin service experience? Thx
    All the Garmin models have different force load requirements. I spend a lot of time on ADV. There are some series GPS geeks there. On a recent trip with my XT, it did the same thing. Read on ADV to hold your finger on the lower right corner til it re-boots. Worked like a champ. Worth a try
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    All the Garmin models have different force load requirements. I spend a lot of time on ADV. There are some series GPS geeks there. On a recent trip with my XT, it did the same thing. Read on ADV to hold your finger on the lower right corner til it re-boots. Worked like a champ. Worth a try
    That's what I had to do!!!! and it worked!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It's back to working, and according to Garmin, just very low on battery power. Weird thing was that yesterday, it wouldn't power up via 12v connection to one of my vehicles or via computer/wall plug. Today, I connected it to my other auto and it came to life. The battery symbol had the lightning bolt through it. On a call with Garmin, I then went out to the Spyder, popped it in and nothing. Popped out/back in and on it went. Will be checking that connection shortly. It's plugged in/charging to the wall now. We shall see ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    It's back to working, and according to Garmin, just very low on battery power. Weird thing was that yesterday, it wouldn't power up via 12v connection to one of my vehicles or via computer/wall plug. Today, I connected it to my other auto and it came to life. The battery symbol had the lightning bolt through it. On a call with Garmin, I then went out to the Spyder, popped it in and nothing. Popped out/back in and on it went. Will be checking that connection shortly. It's plugged in/charging to the wall now. We shall see ...
    Probably needs to get above it's self protection level on battery voltage before it will come back on. You may need to clean the contacts on the back and on the mount with a pencil eraser. I have had to do that periodically to mine.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Probably needs to get above it's self protection level on battery voltage before it will come back on. You may need to clean the contacts on the back and on the mount with a pencil eraser. I have had to do that periodically to mine.
    Did that yesterday

2022 RT Sea To Sky