Spyder Garage

Default How's this for Battery Life on our 2014 Spyder RTL!

Just info.... nothing else.
    Just replaced the Spyder's battery after 5 years and 40,000 miles on the old one.
    On battery tender when I thought about it.... like over winter rest.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-09-2023 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Did you add STAR washers to new one?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I went 7 years on my original 2008 battery. Have not been able to duplicate that since though.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I think I might have the shortest battery life. Replaced an old bike battery with a new one. Dealer installed and charging system tested. Rode bike home.... about a 45 minute ride. Less than a week later battery was dead. Put it on a charger. Battery would not hold a charge. Got bike started and back to the dealer for a replacement. Batteries can be fickle.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Nine years is very good for battery life. I always changed mine out every three years or so. The problem with batteries...they usually crash without warning. I was always afraid of getting stranded out in Nowhere when we lived in Alaska. Happily, the gloom and doom did not happen to me in Alaska.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got 5 years out of the original OEM battery on my '14 RTS, and felt very fortunate. Prior to that I always replaced every year or two on my other bikes be they Honda’s, Yamaha’s or .......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-10-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

How would one know how long a battery lasts unless finding oneself suddenly unable to start the vehicle? Anything short of that means replacing the battery before it's completely dead, right?
    So, I reckon we're discussing how much of a gambler each of us are. Call me "too quick to pull the trigger", but I just replaced the battery in my 2020 Spyder RT because I live alone and would be walking if my battery died suddenly. Everyone is right in doing when they choose....
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bfromla View Post
    Did you add star washers to new one?

yes !!!! doesn't everyone ???
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Batteries, like people, go in various ways. Sometimes it's a slow fade over a period of time that you can see coming. Sometimes it's sudden and unexpected. I think quality control has been deteriorating on just about everything, batteries included, over the years. It is getting more common to have a 'Factory Fresh' battery go dead quickly. That's why I always get 'BS' batteries. (Bottle Supplied, not the other BS). A factory charged battery must be maintained or it can go bad sitting on the shelf. They sell it to you as 'New'. But it won't last.

A a 'Dry Stored' battery will function as brand new when finally filled and charged regardless of how long it has been sitting.

Here are some interesting Lead Acid battery facts. This does not necessarily apply to other battery types. (These are general averages)

* The warmer the temperature, the faster the rate of self-discharge. A battery at 80℉ will discharge at a rate of 4% per week. A battery stored at 65℉ will discharge at a rate of 3% per month. A Huge Difference! And why a tender is actually more important during the summer than it is over the long winter. (In most environments)

* Allowing your battery to fall below 80% of full charge will begin to shorten its life. The lower the stored charge, the greater the life lost. A battery allowed to fall below 10% of full charge can reduce life expectancy by as much as 25% of its remaining lifespan for each incident.

* Sulfating is a buildup of lead sulfate crystals which occurs when a battery is left sitting without a full charge. You can get battery chargers which can remove this sulfate. However the more effective ones tend to be more expensive. There are different ways to remove sulfate from lead acid batteries. Cheaper chargers claiming to remove sulfate may not be very effective.

* Dust and dirt accumulation on a battery, (mostly the top or between +&- terminals) will also increase self-discharge.

* The 3-C's for extended battery life. Keep them Clean, Cool and fully Charged.

After getting a 'New' battery. And baring factory defects or storage issues before you received it. You are the largest factor in how long it will last. I highly recommend always getting a (BS) battery whenever possible. A bit more hassle. But a great advantage in the long run. If your battery leaves you stranded just one time, you'll realize it is well worth the extra effort at the beginning.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-10-2023 at 11:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

i got 7 years and 60,000 miles before mine failed to start in Cottonwood AZ a few months ago.
    2015 RT SM6

Spyder Garage

Are the 2019-2023 Spyder batteries AGM style? If not they should be as there is quite a bit of vibration in the frunk. Had issues with my MY 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 TD with batteries not lasting 'cos they werent AGM ones.
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The first Yuasa YTX14 battery in my Honda ATV lasted 9 years. The second one died last year after 7 years.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    Are the 2019-2023 Spyder batteries AGM style? If not they should be as there is quite a bit of vibration in the frunk. Had issues with my MY 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 TD with batteries not lasting 'cos they werent AGM ones.
    All OEM Spyder/Ryker batteries are AGM.