Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Default Automated mailed ticket.... But I wasn't there!

I received a letter from a toll road outfit claiming I blew off a toll on a road some 300+ miles away. Bill is now $45. and will be another $100. in 10 days if I don't pay it. I responded claiming I have never been there, but also included a picture of my Spyder asking them to compare it to the one they took during the violation. They did respond telling me the ticket has been dismissed and to have a nice day...... Gotta wonder how many people they screw over on a daily basis.

IMG_4980.jpg
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

The various toll agencies here in Texas are notorious for doing exactly the same thing, as well as sending out paper bills for bogus tolls to owners of vehicles that have toll tags. They have been under investigation for years about this and other issues, and have changed administrative oversight contractors no less than five times in the last 10 years. It pays to check your transaction statements every month.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Glad you made them dismiss the ticket

Over here in Norway two and three wheelers do not pay on toll roads and I hope it last for a looong time. NMCU (Norwegian Motorcykle Union) is lobbying hard on the goverment to stay toll free and they do a great job !
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

We traveled a couple months ago thru Ill and Wis using 94 & 294. No toll boths. No mention that I saw about having only 10 days to pay OR. So I called them and said I needed to pay tolls. I also ask how anyone that is out of state would know there is such a short timeframe. Her response. You are correct sir, no one wouldn't know. She was very nice and I paid my $9 via CC. Gotta luv it.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Got a bill for running a red light in New Jersey once. I had not been close to New Jersey in 15 or 20 years. They had my tag number and vehicle type. I wrote back and told them that I had not been anywhere near New Jersey on the date they claimed I ran a red light, and my vehicle had never been to New Jersey. I refused to pay the scam ticket and told them where they could stick it.

Never heard from them again.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

The same thing happened to my daughter on I95 in Maryland. There was no way to make out the picture of the bike and tag in the letter. According to the date of the alledged infraction, she was in the midst of an 8 week internship in Africa. The case was dismissed.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happened to me once in Connecticut, took a bit to straighten out. All this automated crap concerns me, tougher to get a person to talk to and resolve.

Spyder Garage

PA remover the toll booths and have EZPay or tool by plate number EZPay is ($1.00) price by plate is 3x the cost (3.00) = total rip!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    The various toll agencies here in Texas are notorious for doing exactly the same thing, as well as sending out paper bills for bogus tolls to owners of vehicles that have toll tags. They have been under investigation for years about this and other issues, and have changed administrative oversight contractors no less than five times in the last 10 years. It pays to check your transaction statements every month.
    Several years ago I started getting notices from the North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA) for a non-payment on a road in the DFW area. The tag number they claimed to have matched the one on my BMW R1100S, however the tiny little picture they included was so small it was unreadable. I tried to call them but got and automated system that put me on hold. I don't have a lot of patience for being on hold so hung up pretty quickly. I read their notice more carefully and found an E-mail address so sent them an E-mail explaining that I had never been to DFW on that bike. A few days later another notice arrived with the same tag number but a different date and time of the offence. We normally let junk mail pile up a bit and I recalled seeing the NTTA thing on a few other pieces of mail so started digging through the "junk" pile and found four more notices. I sorted them by dates and noted that they all occurred late at night and even well into the morning like two and three AM, yet I was managing to be at work the next day nearly 400 miles away. One of the infractions even occurred when my wife and I were in Lake City, CO. I sent still another E-mail about two weeks later trying to clear this up. They continued to ignore me so I ignored their bills and threats of issuing an arrest warrant. About six weeks into this from the time of the first notice, I got another one from a collection agency in Chicago. I called the number provided and got right through to a live body. After explaining the situation to that person, they said hold on a minute while they did a search in the computer where there was supposed to be a larger picture of my tag. Upon returning I was told that the picture did not match my tag number. I asked what number was and it turns out the computer system had mistakenly read a K as an X that was on my bike. All charges and threats were dismissed.

Moral to the story; don't let the automated ticketing system screw you around.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I got an Automated Speed Camera Ticket in the mail, along with a photo of my alleged offending showing the plate, location, time and date.
    I advised them in writing I am not paying, please advise of a court date for a defended hearing.
    I also advised them I would be seeking costs should I be successful in my defense.
    That being expenses and a charge for my time.

I did not tell them the plate was similar to mine, but not my plate.

I got a reply, a summons to appear for a hearing.
    Bout 1 week before the hearing I got another letter, charges to be withdrawn.
    Then another confirming no further action, charges officially withdrawn.

Missed out of a free several days bike tour to attend the Court nowhere near where I live, all expenses paid.

Spyder Garage

I had the happen to me once. Claimed I skipped a toll going over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in western Washington. I haven’t driven on the west side of the state in about 10 years. I called them and told them they had the wrong truck. They admitted the picture was kind of fuzzy so I guess they all got together in the office and tried to decide what the license plate was. They finally decided to say the heck with it and canceled the ticket.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Had the same issue here in the California Bay Area. Motorcycles can still use carpool and express lanes for free but have required their FasTrak Flex tag for a number of years now. I have to check my Fastrak account on a bi-weekly basis now since I’ve gotten bogus charges due to their system not always picking up the tag as well as incorrect manual reading of the photos (they’ve tried to bill me for an express lane I typically don’t use and on the day in question was in my car).

Makes no sense to me that if they can read the license plate well enough to send you a ticket then they should be able to tell it belongs to a motorcycle and waive the fee without the need for a toll tag.

Spyder Garage

What the final result is, the various government agencies are using the system to raise money. They don't care if the tag is wrong or where the vehicle came from. They just want the money and will try to scam you to get it. Most people will pay a small fee to avoid the hassle and not fighrt it. That is what the agencies are depending on.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

When I licensed my new to me truck last May, they told me I needed to get a new plate ($55) because my old plate was too old, and the luminescence wouldn't work for the toll readers. I asked them why I needed to buy the new plate just so they could track me on toll roads when I don't have a single toll road on my side of the state and I never go east over the Rockies (not quite true, but it is really rare).

They called a supervisor over and she agreed with me and said I could get the new plate for $5.

I then asked why I needed to buy a new plate with a new number that I would have to learn. She said I could order the new plate with my old number for $55.

Of course, I asked again, why should I pay to have a new plate just so they could collect tolls in an area I never was. She agreed again and gave me a new temp and ordered the new plate with my old number to be mailed to my house.

Ya gotta love the lack of rhyme or reason of the Government sometimes. And here is the funny part ... when I renewed my tri licenses (that plate was almost 20 years old and 15 years older than the truck one) they let me use my old plate. I asked how come I didn't need a new plate due to the loss of luminescence. I was informed that the plates on the motorcycles don't lose luminescence.

Okay, Disclaimer: I am 70, Retired and can afford to waste time trying to get government agencies to see the lack of logic in their policies. Problem is, I don't think they care if their policies are logic free as long as they generate income!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2023 at 08:28 AM.
    Current Ride: 2019 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited - Cool Change.

Past Rides:

2014 HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl
    2006 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Jessica
    2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Helga
    2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn
    2008 Honda Gold Wing GL 1800 Trike w/Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2
    2001 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Tweety
    2015 HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl
    2011 HD Ultra - Raven
    2006 K1200LT - Vianca
    2007 HD Ultra
    2006 HD Ultra
    2004 Honda Goldwing
    2001 Honda Goldwing
    1996 Honda Goldwing
    2000 Honda Aero
    1985 Honda V65 Magnum
    1992 HD Softtail
    1976 HD Sportster
    1973 HD Sportster
    1965 HD Sportster

Spyder Garage

This has happened to me twice since moving to Florida. Once from Louisiana. Said they got my trailer at a boat ramp. Showed a trailer. Send pic of the plate which was on my Spyder. They dismissed it. And FL. Sun Pass "got me" blowing a toll on the turd pike. Had to go to the office as they refused to respond to phone calls. Brought up a pic of a huge guy on a small motorcycle. I said that is NOT me. They dismissed it. Yes, they go to extremes to not answer or dismiss. It's privatised so they want to make money! Tom
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2023 at 12:20 PM.
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I keep telling my wife: It's all about power and $$$$.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Posted on another forum. Guy got a toll violation ticket with a picture of his car and plate. Only thing.... his car was on a roll-back tow truck at the time the picture was taken!
    2021 Spyder RTL chalk/black/chrome bought in March 21. Previous rides: 2019 Spyder RTL, Orange/chrome. 2015 Harley Heritage, 2002 Harley Heritage, 77 Harley Electra Glide, 75 Harley Electra Glide, 72 Harley Sportster (first bike bought new)
    My Spyder Mods
    Rider backrest, F&R cup holders; F3 handlebars; BRP LED driving light; LaMonster front fender and mirror turn signals, LaMonster Saddlebag lights, Auxito LED rear turn signal blubs w/ built in load resistor; Brake lite modulator/flasher; LaMonster flags on trunk; Garmin Zumo XT. LaMonster Bluetooth adapter for Phone & GPS through Spyder speakers. LaMonster floorboard risers; FOBO tire pressure monitors, Vredestein front and rear tires; BajaRon sway bar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    We traveled a couple months ago thru Ill and Wis using 94 & 294. No toll boths. No mention that I saw about having only 10 days to pay OR. So I called them and said I needed to pay tolls. I also ask how anyone that is out of state would know there is such a short timeframe. Her response. You are correct sir, no one wouldn't know. She was very nice and I paid my $9 via CC. Gotta luv it.
    Same happened to me…no toll booths and nothing to show what I should do. By the time I got a notice they had added late fees. I wrote them a letter explaining and received no response…They just don’t care. I will never drive through Illinois again.

Spyder Garage

I stopped at a restaurant in downtown Nashville, TN. in October on a Sunday Afternoon. It was a small place and had a gravel parking area which was full. There was a concrete slab next to the building on the other side with several cars parked there and I assumed it was part of the restaurant. There were no other building near it but this one. A few weeks later i received a notice saying i owed 82 bucks for a parking ticket from the owner of this slab. Since i did not pay the max for one day parking which was 32 bucks. I researched and found that this out of state company owned many empty places in Nashville and must rent out spaces. There were no signs up indicating that this was a parking area nor how much or where to pay. I contacted them and explained the situation and later notified that charges were dropped. They did have a picture of my car parked there.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    I received a letter from a toll road outfit claiming I blew off a toll on a road some 300+ miles away. Bill is now $45. and will be another $100. in 10 days if I don't pay it. I responded claiming I have never been there, but also included a picture of my Spyder asking them to compare it to the one they took during the violation. They did respond telling me the ticket has been dismissed and to have a nice day...... Gotta wonder how many people they screw over on a daily basis.

IMG_4980.jpg
    Toll roads are for the birds.

I used to live in NJ and remember those annoying toll booths, ESPECIALLY on the Garden State Parkway. The Turnpike wasn't as bad, but still.

So glad I live in a state that has NO toll roads. In fact, some roads are SO straight, deserted and LOOOONG, it's a great time to perform a "German tune-up", LOL.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !