Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Looks like it's time to give up the ride - thoughts fm others who've faced this?

A number of things (not all bad) over the last few months, have made my wife and I both approach the subject of "for us...... is it time to put the Spyder up for sale?" Over the past 9 years, and 61,000 road miles, we have enjoyed traveling and seeing areas of the west coast we probably wouldn't have gone to, and wouldn't have met as many interesting people as we did, who wanted to hear all about our "travelling style".

Aside from the Spyder rides and trips however, we have always had a lingering to "take the backroads up into the mountains and see where they go". We did this for many years with a number of different Jeeps; in Missouri, California, and yes, in Washington, before the Spyder; some may do this with their Spyders... but we won't.

So now, just recently, my wife found (and I agreed) a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, (fully loaded) with only 45,000 miles on it. She wanted it, and she traded her smaller Jeep Compass for it, and negotiated a deal the dealer couldn't believe he agreed to (with us almost walking out a few times) but she won!

Since then, we have put 3,000 miles on it and been "backroading and exploring every possible road up" we can find and enjoying it very much again. Dashcam documenting every excursion too!

All this is why we have started thinking about selling the Spyder. We recognize it isn't worth much at this point, but being happy with our actions for however much time we have left is more important right now.

Any thoughts from people who have faced decisions like this??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2023 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

You answered your question
    Since then we have put 3,000 miles on it and been "backroading and exploring every possible road up" we can find, and enjoying it very much again. Dashcam documenting every excursion too !
    The Spyder is a distraction. Time to let someone else enjoy it ... and they will. The right buyer will find you.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Well Ray, I am facing the same decision you are. Although my Spyder is long gone, I have moved on to a Goldwing trike. in August 2022 I "did" the west coast. Just under 5,000 miles solo. From Arizona to Roche Harbor on San Juan Island, Wa. and lots of places in between. Although I have done many extended trips, this one wore me out. I was ready to be home 3 days before getting here. I did some day trips last season (winter here) but didn't really find it as enjoyable as I used to. The Trike has been in storage since last May. I did wash it last week and will polish it tomorrow. But I just don't have the appetite to get it on the road. My riding buddies have all quit riding or died.

I've gone a different direction than you. I bought a Mustang Convertible this last summer and am enjoying it a lot. There are lots of car shows here in the desert and I have been entering a couple of them a week. Also cruising to lunch destinations previously done on cycles. Finding the convertible less stressful and ready for fun regardless of weather. I do think the trike will be on the market very soon. Sometimes It's time to change gears in life. Wishing you the best in whatever you decide..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ray we've had a long distance & yet never met friendship, and I understand where you are coming from. I wish you and Marci all the best in this transition ...... I'm getting up there in years also and my abilities are diminishing.... this may be my last down-hill ski season .... I hope not but I'm not a betting man ...... So if you think it's time to give it up then that's what you should do..... Stay on this Forum and just tell us about your new adventures .....PS as usual give my best to Marci .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Been riding 2 wheel and 3 wheel motorcycles since I was about 12 years old. Still love to ride, but not able to stand 500 miles a day anymore. I will just keep the Spyder and ride closer to home. Plenty within 100 miles or so that I may not have seen yet. People that knew me thought I had lost my mind when I gave the Harley trike to my son and bought the Spyder, but that was none of their business. Just like what you decide to do is none of my business. Do whatever you want to and what makes you and your wife happy. What anybody else thinks should not even be a consideration.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2023 at 06:54 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I am at the mindset, if I have the room to store it, and it's not costing me anything, and its mine and not the banks, keep it if I am going to ride it sometime in the year. If you're not going to ride it at all, then dump it and give someone else a chance to enjoy it, and don't look back, because you'll want another one. Good luck and take the money you get from your bike and get a winch for your new ride, you never know where you may end up.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

jhb, just guessing that some of us are in the same proverbial m/c boat as you, just wondering what comes next. At 90, the wife and still make those journeys and our 20 RTL, and enjoy it, however we have the same thoughts and discussion. I lust after a Miata convertible, but the big problem, no room for travel. So we continue to discuss.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    jhb, just guessing that some of us are in the same proverbial m/c boat as you, just wondering what comes next. At 90, the wife and still make those journeys and our 20 RTL, and enjoy it, however we have the same thoughts and discussion. I lust after a Miata convertible, but the big problem, no room for travel. So we continue to discuss.
    Pack lighter and go for it! At 90, why not?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank Mickey, just saying, there is less room in a Miata than the 47 gallons on a 20 RTL especially the convertible. Maybe we'll figure something out. But as you say, "at 90" one begins to look at life a bit differently.

Spyder Garage

In the same boat myself. My '08GS has sat with all it bugs on for the past 6 weeks. I can only manage a 3hr ride these days before becoming very tired (I'm 84 with med problems). I took an overnighter into the Adirondacks in the summer and practically fell off the Spyder when I got home.
    I can drive my Mazda CX5 all day for days in a row with no undue problems.
    Would also like a Miata convertible but I can't get it and the CX5 into my garage and will not leave a vehicle in the driveway (that's just me).
    I'm sure I will put it up for sale in the Spring. It's not worth a lot but has only cost me tires and rear brake pads in the 12 yrs I have had it. Surprisingly reliable.

I'll see how I feel in the winter, which is approaching fast up here.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I 100% understand where you are coming from. I am not up there yet, but have been giving second thoughts about my 2 wheeler. The biggest problem is that my current one is the best bike that I have had out of the 18 that I have owned in the past 17 years. It fits me in every way. But after a couple of close calls that were not due to my driving or attentivness, it really got me thinking about giving up the 2 wheeled life, or at least going with a cheaper version, if it will be ridden only 2000 miles or so a year. This is coming from someone who averages 10k miles a year. Either way, good luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I am at the mindset, if I have the room to store it, and it's not costing me anything, and its mine and not the banks, keep it if I am going to ride it sometime in the year.
    I agree with this. I can't imagine not wanting to take it to the store, or wherever, a few times a year.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Thank Mickey, just saying, there is less room in a Miata than the 47 gallons on a 20 RTL especially the convertible. Maybe we'll figure something out. But as you say, "at 90" one begins to look at life a bit differently.
    We too have considered the Miata and like you the storage capacity had us wondering what to do. Our thought? The same small trailers that you pull behind a motorcycle. Why wouldn't they work just great behind the Miata?
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Ray we've had a long distance & yet never met friendship, and I understand where you are coming from. I wish you and Marci all the best in this transition ...... I'm getting up there in years also and my abilities are diminishing.... this may be my last down-hill ski season .... I hope not but I'm not a betting man ...... So if you think it's time to give it up then that's what you should do..... Stay on this Forum and just tell us about your new adventures .....PS as usual give my best to Marci .....Mike
    As always....thanks Mike. Marci says Hi too. She will never forget you and all the help you have given us over the years. We WILL send input to S.L. in the future too !
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I read your post teninospyder and thought...
    Yup. I sure get that. I will most probably be there at some stage in the future.
    I think its the next chapter for you 2.

I have a tiny Jimny 4WD that the wife and I enjoy very much, especially getting out into the hills and back roads here in rural NZ. Its awesome, especially when its overly cold, hot and/or wet.
    Comfort all the way with some room for kit if you want it.

So I can understand where you are coming from.
    You have enjoyed the Spyder and now the Jeep is calling you. Which is fine.
    Keep your memories and turn the page. Time to explore some more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    A number of things (not all bad) over the last few months, have made my wife and I both approach the subject of "for us...... is it time to put the Spyder up for sale?" Over the past 9 years, and 61,000 road miles, we have enjoyed traveling and seeing areas of the west coast we probably wouldn't have gone to, and wouldn't have met as many interesting people as we did, who wanted to hear all about our "travelling style".

Aside from the Spyder rides and trips however, we have always had a lingering to "take the backroads up into the mountains and see where they go". We did this for many years with a number of different Jeeps; in Missouri, California, and yes, in Washington, before the Spyder; some may do this with their Spyders... but we won't.

So now, just recently, my wife found (and I agreed) a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, (fully loaded) with only 45,000 miles on it. She wanted it, and she traded her smaller Jeep Compass for it, and negotiated a deal the dealer couldn't believe he agreed to (with us almost walking out a few times) but she won!

Since then, we have put 3,000 miles on it and been "backroading and exploring every possible road up" we can find and enjoying it very much again. Dashcam documenting every excursion too!

All this is why we have started thinking about selling the Spyder. We recognize it isn't worth much at this point, but being happy with our actions for however much time we have left is more important right now.

Any thoughts from people who have faced decisions like this??
    Linda and I recently went through the same dilemma. I had to give up two wheeling a couple years ago because I could no longer hold up 800# on both unsteady legs. We traded off the two wheeler for a Mule. We have over a hundred miles of dirt roads right next to our area so can drive and drive and drive on the dirt. This last season, we barely put a thousand miles on our new F3's. Having them in the garage, the monthly insurance and yearly personal property taxes still were due. No payments on the bikes though, we bought them with cash. We still were able to and did enjoy riding when we did...but financially, it was not a good move for us.

We put both of the F3's up for sale and both sold within three weeks of each other to a couple very nice people from NC. We put the ad up in February, but no bites all summer long. End of season, they both sold. We took part of the proceeds from one F3 and bought a new 2024 Altima for under $10K plus our trade in (2017 outback). Went for a nice ride the other day...just like the good ol days...and enjoyed it a lot. Only drawback, we did not have the wind therapy that we got from the F3's.

With your new Jeep, you too can enjoy what you did...only from another vehicle. We miss the F3's...but will eventually get over it. Just renewed my drivers license today...kept the motorcycle endorsement. ???

Hope we have been some help.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-07-2023 at 05:24 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    We too have considered the Miata and like you the storage capacity had us wondering what to do. Our thought? The same small trailers that you pull behind a motorcycle. Why wouldn't they work just great behind the Miata?
    There are sure a lot of us that have been, are, or will be shortly at this crossroads in life. FYI: There is a couple in my community that has a Miata and they pull an Aluma Motorcycle trailer with it. It is a fantastically cute set-up. I looked at Miata's' but also had a space problem. Not with luggage, but with me....... Too many cheeseburgers!!!!!

Ray, I'm glad to hear you intend to continue your forum activity if you do move on from the Spyder. This is a great family. I really feel there are many friendships developed from a lot of us who have never met. All the best, Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    The smaller trailers pull great behind the Miata. Mine will have a hidden hitch installed as soon as the warranty runs out.

Travel is great for one person, cramped for two, if you are packing for a week.

Leaving out this afternoon for a 1,500 mile round trip in mine.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Hi all. I to am get up in age (84 now) and have considered selling the trike. We had a Miata years ago and loved it. We even joined a Miata club and traveled all over the Western part of this Great country. A couple of soft bags fit the trunk just fine. I am seriously thinking of doing that again. You really need to enjoy this life, "It only comes around once".
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

The Wrangler sounds like great fun, and if it satisfies the urge that you used to fulfill with the Spyder then all is good. I'm 80 and no longer make the long trips and no longer ride across half the country to go to a motorcycle rally, but I am not yet ready to give up riding by any means. I also own a new Mini Cooper convertible, which is a hoot to drive but it does not replace having a motorcycle. I really believe the adage "You don't stop riding because you got old, you got old because you stopped riding". I know that if and when I ever give up riding totally, I will have to face the reality of being a really old man. But not today, and not yet. I ride my Spyder and feel 40 instead of 80 even if the longest ride I now make is about 2 hours to a nice spot for lunch. And to keep myself able to think of myself as a real biker, I just bought a new Royal Enfield Hunter 350. This little single cylinder motorcycle is the real thing even if it tops out at about 70 mph or so (I haven't gone that fast with it yet). Maybe it was a foolish waste of money, but I want to put off that entry into the long dark night as long as I possibly can. So my advice to you is to enjoy the Wrangler, but consider picking up a small bike or scooter just for zipping around town or a quick ride out into the country. It can do wonders to keep you feeling young.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m in the same league as Vito1943, also being 80, and yes, I too have been wondering if it was time yet. I’m just not ready to do that.... NOT YET. Miata? I’ve given that a lot of thought, but I just don’t think my arthritic bones will fit into one. I’ve never given any thought to a Mini Cooper, nor do I know if you sit as low, stretched out as in a Miata. Something else to ponder. In the meantime, I’ll just keep on doing my 100-mile circle rides, stopping for lunch half-way through.

Ray, I sincerely hope that whatever you wind up doing, that it was the correct decision for YOU! It has always been a treat to read your different posts and look forward to being capable to continue doing so.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2023 at 07:54 PM.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Just turned 80. Sold two now waiting on three (Jan/Feb time frame). Hope to continue for another five, anything after that will be gravy. Will it be worth the money? YES!

I'll sit around the house and watch the boob tube when I can't get a leg over the saddle.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2023 at 07:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sounds to me you have already given up the Spyder Ray. Since that’s your decision, best of what life has to offer you and Marci, going the Jeep route. Makes sense to me. We had 2 Suzuki 4 wheelers when we lived in the lower Fla. Keys (85’-98’). Of course down there everywhere was either sea level or 4’ above so we used them for pulling boats/trailers in and out of water at boat ramps and to enjoy riding under the Bimini top in the winter when it wasn’t awfully hot. Thank God for the air-conditioning both had in the summer months, even with just the Bimini top, always good to get a blast of cold coming out of the dash. Since I’m younger (67 come next Tuesday) than you and most that have commented on your thread, I’m facing a different decision. Wether to get back on an off road motorcycle again. I sold my GS airhead a few years ago due to the fact i kept dropping it and sometimes had to wait for help to right it. I’m keeping my Spyder but am kicking around buying a late model Royal Enfield Himalayan. They’re only 400cc (single cylinder) & w/the mods I have in mind, can keep the weight under 400 lbs. IOW, it’s not the monster the GS is. I’ve yet to sit on & ride one but only because I broke/fractured the 3rd metatarsal in my left foot (right where the shifter would contact my foot/boot). What’s criminal about this fracture, it happened in late July of this year & through a few missteps of my own, it hasn’t healed properly. That said, I found a good Podiatrist and I’m on the mend yet I’m waiting for his okay to try one (Himalayan) out. Bottom line, I feel the same yearning you do to get out on the off road trails, single & double tracks with a bit of carving my own trails through thick brush, woods where no man has gone before=:-)

Godspeed to you and yours Ray!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

My wife and I just picked up a gently used BMW 230i convertible. I also looked closely at the Miata and know it's a wonderful machine with a loyal following, however the BMW is just a bit easier to get in and out of as well as the benefit of having somewhat of a back seat (realistically only to be used for storage though....I wouldn't want to sit back there lol). We looked at Miatas and also the Audi TT Roadster. All great little machines and you can definitely get some good used deals if you take your time and shop around. Good luck with your decisions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited - Chalk Metallic Dark

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    There are sure a lot of us that have been, are, or will be shortly at this crossroads in life. FYI: There is a couple in my community that has a Miata and they pull an Aluma Motorcycle trailer with it. It is a fantastically cute set-up. I looked at Miata's' but also had a space problem. Not with luggage, but with me....... Too many cheeseburgers!!!!!
    I am 6'-2", 260 and had the nerve to try to fit in a miata. I sat in a friends and thought I could make it work. But when I got all the way in and closed the doors, it was another story. A very good option for a nice little 2 seater that is very dependable, is the nissan 350 and 370. My neighbor has one and it fits me like a glove (to be a small car). But in the end, I decided to stick with what I know and picked up a slightly used mustang convertible. I have had it for 4 years now and the wife and I drive it on many vacations. Always just the 2 of us and we actually have plenty of room with the trunk and back seat. Either way, life is a journey, so just enjoy the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white