Spyder Garage

Default What could this weird fender vibration when braking be?

I recently had new tires put on my 2022 RT Ltd, Vredestein Quatrack 165/60R-15 on the front, 215/60R15 rear.

I've ridden it for a couple hundred miles with no issues, but today was a very quiet day, (no wind noise to speak of, and I had the radio off) and when I brake, I noticed I can hear a dull vibration sound. It sounds like a kid making a motorboat sound by purring their tongue or something (yeah, hard to describe), and I can see the left fender vibrates forward and back slightly. I can feel the vibration when I put my left boot against the fender while braking.

I can't feel anything actually loose by just pushing/pulling on the fender when stopped. It feels just as solid as the right fender.

Any ideas what it could be? I've never taken the tires off myself... it was done at a powersports shop that is familiar with Spyders. Just not an actual Can-AM dealer. Maybe it's normal and I just never noticed it, but I'd think I'd have heard it sometime if that was the case.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2023 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

check the light possible loose or the front two bolts that hold fender strut broke

Spyder Garage

The light definitely wiggles back and forth, and I can maybe convince myself that is the cause. Though the light on the other fender wiggles the same way and there's no noise there.

The fender itself seems solid. I can't move it at all by hand.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check your lug nuts torqued. Plus, you might even simply have a bit of brake pad deposit on that rotor.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 11-06-2023 at 05:44 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Check your lug nuts torqued. You might even simply have a bit of brake pad deposit on that rotor.
    Interesting. I didn't consider the torque, but I set my wrench to 80 ft lbs (manual says 77-83) and got about 3/8" turn out of one nut on each wheel. The other two were already at or above that. We'll see if anything changes when I take it out tonight.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    Interesting. I didn't consider the torque, but I set my wrench to 80 ft lbs (manual says 77-83) and got about 3/8" turn out of one nut on each wheel. The other two were already at or above that. We'll see if anything changes when I take it out tonight.
    I would start over on the wheel torque. Back all 3 off to below torque spec and retighten. That's the only way to be sure it's correct.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would start over on the wheel torque. Back all 3 off to below torque spec and retighten. That's the only way to be sure it's correct.
    I'll do that before I take it out. Good idea.

Spyder Garage

If backing off on wheeel torque doesn't solve your problem, consider putting a dial indicator on your rotors; they might be starting to warp. Ya, kind'a outside the box, but my 2020 RTL was doing something similar after about 5K. If you don't have access to a dial indicator, make one out of a "Sharpie" and a zip tie.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2023 at 06:24 PM.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Concur with BR. Ya gotta start over. Best to lift each wheel off the ground, completely release the lug nuts, snugly tighten until the wheel starts rotating, then return to ground lightly for final torque. I like to sneak up on my lug nuts: first 50 ft-lb then 80 ft-lb.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

If the retorque don't work maybe you have a little pad glazing going on, or hard spots on that rotor. This is one of those things that would be easier to see in real life. I would maybe take that whole brake assembly apart and give it a good cleaning, give the pads a LIGHT scuff with some light sandpaper, and look the rotor over well for warps or blemishes. Check the wheel bearings for play.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I just went through that on a 2014 RT SE6. I bought it with issues and the front right shaking when applying the brakes was one of them. Replace rotors and pads, had same problem, same wheel. Replaced A arm bushings, same problem. Long story short, I dial indicated the rotor and found .0012" run out and .0004" parallel. Installed the good rotor from left side and all is smooth. The luck of getting a new bad rotor and installing it on the same side with the problem.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

If you find that it is your rotor(s). I highly recommend replacing them with EBC rotors. Much higher quality, better stopping power, and 2 EBC rotors will cost you about the same as 1 OEM rotor. I've had customers who warped as many as 3 OEM rotors before they upgraded to EBC. Never had a problem after that.

Do not mix rotors on the front wheels. If you go to a different rotor, replace both. Otherwise, you will get uneven braking and this is not good.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the replies. So I think it's all sorted now.

As I mentioned, there was one nut loose on both front wheels. It seemed like after tightening them, when I rode it last night that the sound was way less. So this morning I jacked it up, loosened all lug nuts, made sure the wheels were pushed in fully seated, and snugged them up. Then lowered the bike down and torqued them all to 80 ft lbs. Rode about 50 miles at lunch and didn't hear anything. Then just checked one more time around the neighborhood with my helmet off testing the brakes several times and didn't hear anything.

So apparently it was all caused by the lug nut not being fully tightened.

I do think I may have a slight warp in at least the left side rotor, because when I turn the wheel I can hear it rub at one point per rotation slightly. Can't hear that when riding though.

Maybe after a lot of riding and braking when the pads are hot, that could make a more pronounced sound? I don't know. But I know the pads are only about 50% gone.

I'll make a note to check out EBC rotors if they do warp. I've used EBC red ceramic pads in a car several years ago, so I'm somewhat familiar with the brand.

Spyder Garage

I am just putting this out there, did you have an alignment done?

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2023 at 06:51 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I am just putting this out there, did you have an alignment done?
    Not unless they did it as part of the tire swap. I didn't request it specifically.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2023 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Not unless they did it as part of the tire swap. I didn't request it specifically.
    Were the tires balanced?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

So apparently it was all caused by the lug nut not being fully tightened..
    Did you inspect the rim any wallow in the nut areas? That is just sloppy tightening on nuts. I would NOT use them again!!! With those air wrenchs, they could have overtightened 1 of them, even stretched the thread studs a little, even warped the hub!! Which also holds the rotor, which could cause the brake surging. These rims are ALUMINUM, doesn't take much movement to alter a FLAT backing to hub to be out of wack!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the replies. So I think it's all sorted now.

As I mentioned, there was one nut loose on both front wheels. It seemed like after tightening them, when I rode it last night that the sound was way less. So this morning I jacked it up, loosened all lug nuts, made sure the wheels were pushed in fully seated, and snugged them up. Then lowered the bike down and torqued them all to 80 ft lbs. Rode about 50 miles at lunch and didn't hear anything. Then just checked one more time around the neighborhood with my helmet off testing the brakes several times and didn't hear anything.

So apparently it was all caused by the lug nut not being fully tightened.

I do think I may have a slight warp in at least the left side rotor, because when I turn the wheel I can hear it rub at one point per rotation slightly. Can't hear that when riding though.

Maybe after a lot of riding and braking when the pads are hot, that could make a more pronounced sound? I don't know. But I know the pads are only about 50% gone.

I'll make a note to check out EBC rotors if they do warp. I've used EBC red ceramic pads in a car several years ago, so I'm somewhat familiar with the brand.
    You may have to tighten that wheel bearing just a touch, check the free play on that side!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Then you can be sure that you didn't get an alignment. But it doesn't sound like an alignment issue anyway. If you were out-of-balance, you'd get the problem all the time, not just when braking. It's most likely something loose, rotor issues, or A-Arm bushings.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    I just went through that on a 2014 RT SE6. I bought it with issues and the front right shaking when applying the brakes was one of them. Replace rotors and pads, had same problem, same wheel. Replaced A arm bushings, same problem. Long story short, I dial indicated the rotor and found .0012" run out and .0004" parallel. Installed the good rotor from left side and all is smooth. The luck of getting a new bad rotor and installing it on the same side with the problem.
    Ron, those were EBC MD853 rotors
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    Ron, those were EBC MD853 rotors
    Interesting, they were existing before the wheel work?

Spyder Garage

I recently had new tires put on my 2022 RT Ltd, Vredestein Quatrack 165/60R-15 on the front, 215/60R15 rear.

I've ridden it for a couple hundred miles with no issues, but today was a very quiet day, (no wind noise to speak of, and I had the radio off) and when I brake, I noticed I can hear a dull vibration sound. It sounds like a kid making a motorboat sound by purring their tongue or something (yeah, hard to describe), and I can see the left fender vibrates forward and back slightly. I can feel the vibration when I put my left boot against the fender while braking.

I can't feel anything actually loose by just pushing/pulling on the fender when stopped. It feels just as solid as the right fender.

Any ideas what it could be? I've never taken the tires off myself... it was done at a powersports shop that is familiar with Spyders. Just not an actual Can-AM dealer. Maybe it's normal and I just never noticed it, but I'd think I'd have heard it sometime if that was the case.
    You are not alone my friend on the front wheel vibration. Almost the same problem on my2021 RTL--left front slight shudder vibe felt only when braking around 30-40 mph. I changed both rotors and pads (EBC), new verdstiens such as yours, had both wheels spin balanced and there is STILL a slight vibration. Torqued nuts to spec (in steps as always). I will re check and carefully inspect the nut tapers and wheel holes--but if it persists I think I will just ignore it (unless the wheel falls off)
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Spyder Garage

I also had the same issue with a NEW set of EBC rotors this year. Yes, the wheels were properly torqued. The left was worse than the right, but both caused the fender vibration. I contacted the dealer to share my concerns and was told “they have never seen a bad EBC rotor right out of the box.” When I swapped them from one side to the other, the right side now shook the most - so I knew it was the rotors. I handed them to a friend that owns a machine shop to confirm the rotors were not true. He reported similar run-out and thickness variation as reported earlier in this thread. I had an extra BRP rotor so I used the best 2 of the 3 OEM’s and there is little if any vibration noticeable. I was very pleased with EBC’s on a previous Spyder. Very disappointing this time around.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JSRT View Post
    I also had the same issue with a NEW set of EBC rotors this year. Yes, the wheels were properly torqued. The left was worse than the right, but both caused the fender vibration. I contacted the dealer to share my concerns and was told “they have never seen a bad EBC rotor right out of the box.” When I swapped them from one side to the other, the right side now shook the most - so I knew it was the rotors. I handed them to a friend that owns a machine shop to confirm the rotors were not true. He reported similar run-out and thickness variation as reported earlier in this thread. I had an extra BRP rotor so I used the best 2 of the 3 OEM’s and there is little if any vibration noticeable. I was very pleased with EBC’s on a previous Spyder. Very disappointing this time around.
    Well THAT'S interesting. It is slight - and I don' think these Spyder rotors can be turned. If it gets worse, I think there are several rotor options out there and that requires new pads also, even if they are not worn out. Also, someone mentioned a wheel bearing adjustment. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but most wheel bearings now are sealed, set and non-adjustable. Ahh for the good 'ole 50's-60's days of fix it yourself and "justemups"
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-17-2023 at 05:38 PM.
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400