Spyder Garage

Default Is there a special Phone cord for 2020 RT glove box?

Is there a special cord that needs to be used to plug the phone in? I plugged a cord into the connection in the glovebox and plugged my phone in….it popped and shut the bike down. It started right back up but I haven’t plugged the phone in again.

Anyone have this issue? Special cord needed? Did I blow a fuse?

Jerry
    2020 RTL
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2023 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I just looked in our 2020 RTL and there are 2 cables in there. One is a female USB jack. To reach your phone, you will need a cable that goes from a regular-size USB plug to the mini or micro USB on your phone. This is probably the same cable you use to charge your phone at home. The second cable on the cycle is a 1/8 inch phone plug, the same as on most stereo headphones today. It is an input to the sound system so you can play the phone's output over the cycle's speakers. Like music or directions from Google Maps.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

You have two connections in the glove box. A USB A female and 3.5mm male plug. Depending on phone type, you can by female 3.5mm > USB C adapter or female 3.5mm > lightning adapters on Amazon to use for your phone. Standard male type USB A phone cable for the included female USB A cable.

https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Lightni...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Ada...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I do understand the two cables - one being USB. I guess I didn’t phrase my question well. Is there a special USB cable since the one I plug in made a popping noise and stalled the Spyder. The Spyder restarted right away but I have been afraid to plug the phone back in. Any special USB cable needed?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    I do understand the two cables - one being USB. I guess I didn’t phrase my question well. Is there a special USB cable since the one I plug in made a popping noise and stalled the Spyder. The Spyder restarted right away but I have been afraid to plug the phone back in. Any special USB cable needed?
    No “special” cable required, Chiefburg, but you do need a cable that transfers data as well as allowing charging if you want to use BRP GO. Despite this, I have never heard of a cable doing what you have described. Is it possible that cable is faulty in some way and is shorting? It’s best to use an OEM phone cable for your particular phone.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    No “special” cable required, Chiefburg, but you do need a cable that transfers data as well as allowing charging if you want to use BRP GO. Despite this, I have never heard of a cable doing what you have described. Is it possible that cable is faulty in some way and is shorting? It’s best to use an OEM phone cable for your particular phone.

Pete
    Possibly defective...I will get a better cable and try it again. I didn't want to try it if I needed something special.

Spyder Garage

Possibly defective...I will get a better cable and try it again. I didn't want to try it if I needed something special.
    Great…..let us know how you get on, Chiefburg. I’ve never heard of that happening before, so it would be good to know what it’s about

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Use the cable that comes with the phone or what’s known as “an approved” cable. (Not a cheap knockoff). Belkin makes approved cables.

https://youtu.be/WggEO1HJvFc?si=YThC9abUVjNj49Sq

Music and sounds from the phone use the Bluetooth connection.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I tried a new cable and it worked fine. Just wanted to ensure I didn’t blow anything up because the electronics in this machine control it all.

Thanks for the responses.

Spyder Garage

I tried a new cable and it worked fine. Just wanted to ensure I didn’t blow anything up because the electronics in this machine control it all.

Thanks for the responses.
    Thanks for the update, Chief. Good to know it was just a faulty cable

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.