Spyder Garage

Default Planning a RT 66 trip next year

Looking for information on when is a good time to go and what and where to avoid. I was thinking about starting RT66 around St Louis. I am coming from New Jersey.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-03-2023 at 09:25 AM.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Why not start in Chicago where Rt 66 starts? There are a lot of museums related to 66 all along it. June or September would probably be the most enjoyable weather time. July & August can be hot and muggy in the Midwest. Not all parts of the route are clearly signed as old 66 so pay attention to your maps. Much of it is parallel and adjacent to more modern roads so traffic is light. And some has been completely replaced by modern roads. It will be an interesting trip.

Keep an eye on the weather forecast. There can be some really nasty storms crop up in the Midwest. When I was on it a tornado was forecast to track right along 66 northeast of OK City toward me, so I got off and moved over to I-40 into OK City.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 11-03-2023 at 08:21 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Avoid summer because of the desert and avoid winter because of the snow.
    That said, I've made the run from NJ as far as Grant, NM and was turned back by 2 huge snow storms heading from Grand Canyon and Cali - June 6th 2019. We woke the day before in the Rockies (Fairplay, Co) to the start of a snow fall and rode in sleet due south to lower alts in NM. Then, in Texas, we missed a hail storm by 4 hrs while fleeing east. The flip side is it's common to get snow in the Rockies in Sept.
    Given that, I would start from NJ in late May/early June. With luck, the snow with be mostly clear and the desert will be bearable in ATGATT.

My riding pal And I are planning to finish what we started in '19 this Spring sometime. That entails making it to all the Left-Coast 'Fun roads'. Estimated days out = 24+-.

I have GPS routes tracking Rt66 (as best as possible) all the way to LA if you want. Also 2 other loops from NJ. 1 loops to Left Coast thru most states. The other loops to Yellowstone. Let me know if you want them.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 11-03-2023 at 09:17 PM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

If you must do the ride in July or August, start your day before dawn. Be on the road as the sun rises and the desert temperatures will be manageable until 10:30 a.m. Then open all of your jacket vents, wet your clothes and create a poor man's swamp cooler. Hydrate! Visit cafes and museums during the hottest part of the day. I've ridden in temperatures over 110 degrees. It's not comfortable, but it's doable.
    Completed SCMC Four Corners Tour
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000
    Unicycled at South Pole, Antarctica
    Coldfoot, Alaska, to Cabo San Lucas
    4,000 mile Mexican tour to Yucatan Peninsula

Spyder Garage

Anything is "doable", just not much fun. However much time you plan to allow, double it if you can, and even then, you can't see it all. Rt66 is an idea, an experience as much as an actual road. There are places where you can ride the actual blacktop, do it. Tucumcari comes to mind, ie, a must stop. There are some places in Amarillo, Tx. Clines Corners is a must see. This is a gas stop between Moriarty and Tucumcari MN. Yes, it is a tourist trap, but it hasn't changed much since we first stopped there in 1958. Get you a Rt66 guide book and study it and pick your stops; but stop as often as your time allows. Pick a time period to concentrate on, Rt66 served the country from the 30's thru the 60's. Travel changed a lot through those years and so did the Road. Mostly just have fun. Ride it to experience it, to enjoy, to learn, and have fun. Write it up and tell us all about it. With pictures.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-05-2023 at 05:26 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage