Spyder Garage

Default Do Oil Filters deteriorate over time? OK to use after 2-4 years of storage?

This not about which 1 I should use. I have 3 HIFLO HF556 filters. Don't know how old they are. Probably about 2-4 years old. Do these deteriorate over time? Is it ok to use them? I know an engine is expensive compared to a filter.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-27-2023 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are good. Use them. But as usual, some folks will disagree and tell you to buy new ones that could have been on the shelf for who knows how long.

Spyder Garage

As long as they are stored in a dry environment they should be fine.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The filter you buy on line or at a store could be just as old. I've never heard of canister filters aging out.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

They have definitely been stored in a dry place. I live out in the desert in Nevada. Thanks to all for the responses.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

They will be fine. No problem at all.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all. I will be changing oil and filter today.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

Changed the oil today. Old filter pretty dark. I forgot to put the plastic panel back on the bottom. I don't believe it is a big deal.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    They have definitely been stored in a dry place. I live out in the desert in Nevada. Thanks to all for the responses.
    Conversely, if they get TOO MUCH HEAT, like in a storage bin or hot shed, they will harden and degrade. I have tossed a couple for my Quad due to this! They were OEM units too! But, you can tell by pinching the pleats and slightly twisting, they should give and then return back to their normal shape... The ones I tossed were 2yrs old and cracked when twisted.... These were in my garage on a shelf but close to an uninsulated garage door... Still blew my mind!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Conversely, if they get TOO MUCH HEAT, like in a storage bin or hot shed, they will harden and degrade. I have tossed a couple for my Quad due to this! They were OEM units too! But, you can tell by pinching the pleats and slightly twisting, they should give and then return back to their normal shape... The ones I tossed were 2yrs old and cracked when twisted.... These were in my garage on a shelf but close to an uninsulated garage door... Still blew my mind!
    Do you know how old they were when you got them two years ago?

Spyder Garage

2dogs, they were bought by the original owner when he bought the spyder. Seeing as though they don't put mfgr date on them, I am assuming 2-4 yrs old. My garage is somewhat temp controlled. During our beautiful summers I run a swamp cooler. At least it ain't 125.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Do you know how old they were when you got them two years ago?
    They were ordered in by the dealer as none were in stock (fast moving item). Being a 22yr automotive tech, I checked them prior to purchase and they felt good... Coulda been a bad batch or inferior materials, who knows... I have had some air filters fail (OEM) in the same way at only 2yrs old and those were mfg'erd 60days before I got em! You wouldn't think heat would do them in since they operate in a hot environment anyway!!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Changed the oil today. Old filter pretty dark. I forgot to put the plastic panel back on the bottom. I don't believe it is a big deal.
    Many leave them off on purpose. Doesn't hurt anything. Makes the next service easier. And gives somewhere for the heat to go besides your feet/legs & seat area.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Many leave them off on purpose. Doesn't hurt anything. Makes the next service easier. And gives somewhere for the heat to go besides your feet/legs & seat area.
    I understand why they are on there but I have left them off on 3 spyders with on consequences. Thanks Ron.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bangorbob & hypurone, that's my point. Filters don't come date stamped like a Qt. of milk and who knows how long the material sat in inventory prior to assembly. The end purchaser has no way to know. It's very possible that material could've been over 20 years old before it was ever assembled. Or could it be made of recycled whatever? My father (may he rest in peace) bought a case of oil filters years ago when they all were paper cartridge type. The top row was good but the rest were rotten. He also found a customer's brand new Oldsmobile didn't have any rings on its pistons. So one never never knows for sure.

Spyder Garage

I understand why they are on there but I have left them off on 3 spyders with on consequences. Thanks Ron.
    Most people assume they are to keep water, etc., off the engine. But actually, they reduce the overall sound emitted for the DOT DB testing. Think about it. Most motorcycles have no 'Splash' panels at all and they do fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Most people assume they are to keep water, etc., off the engine. But actually, they reduce the overall sound emitted for the DOT DB testing. Think about it. Most motorcycles have no 'Splash' panels at all and they do fine.
    They do also help with directing airflow a bit so that it helps with cooling, but I really don't think they contribute all that much on the 1330's....

It's a whole diffrn't ball game on the 998's tho, where I'm not at all sure they didn't get it all bass ackward!!

Mind you, even if they did do it the right way on the 998's, across the board I really think they're probably only of any real benefit on Spyders ridden for long periods of time or at speed in 'hotter climates', except maybe they might help to stop mud &/or snow type slush from being forced up into & filling the gaps under the tupperware, IF you ever go riding in that sorta slush that's deep enough!!

But as you say Ron, for most owners/riders, the only thing worthy of note that those 'splash panels' will ever do is to marginally reduce the noise for DOT (or in Oz, ADR ) DB testing!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!