Spyder Garage

Default What is correct front suspension A arm attitude?

I own a 2016 F3S. Most riding is solo. I weigh 200 lbs. The A arms are below level where they attach to the bike. Maybe by 1 - 1.5 in. Should they be level?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2023 at 10:04 PM. Reason: attack ;-)

Spyder Garage

Don't worry about what it looks like. What is important is that you have the correct preload set on the shocks. On your bike, with the weight of rider, passenger, and cargo, (if always solo, then just your weight & cargo), measure between the upper and lower shock absorber mounting bolts. The correct length is 420mm, which is 16-17/32 inches. If not correct, adjust the shocks evenly.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

So what is it if you have an RTL 2019? It doesn't have adjustable shock/spring plates... Any advice? And I'm guessing it will need to get an alignment after?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-29-2023 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Caps; ' 's; & ?'s ;-)
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    So what is it if you have an RTL 2019? It doesn't have adjustable shock/spring plates... Any advice? And I'm guessing it will need to get an alignment after?
    You're correct in that the RT series does not have adjustable front shocks like the F3. With the RT, the only suspension "adjustment" is through the rear air bag system. The base models are manually set based on rider weight; the Limited models prior to 2020 models have a "hard/soft" switch to operate the compressor or vent the system; and 2020 and newer RT's have an automatic system with an onboard air compressor to maintain proper ride height. The only way to calibrate the automatic system is with BUDS/BUDS2. If you want easily adjustable front shocks, visit our site sponsor BajaRon for his adjusters. Since there is no adjustment specification, all you can do is measure your ground clearance under the front of the bike and see what the difference is between loaded and unloaded. The ground clearance specification is 4.5" under the front and engine. Either way, none of that will affect alignment, since the only thing adjustable there is toe-in.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-29-2023 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Adjustments to front ride height will alter the toe in setting / wheel alignment.

For a reference amount, when I upgraded our 2014 RTS to high performance front shocks, the new shocks raised the front by 10mm (3/8”). Alignment was checked before and after swapping shocks. The increased height, altered the alignment noticeably out of specs. Yes, I have a ROLO laser alignment setup with BUDS and BUDS2, plus other alignment equipment, so checks before and after were accurate.

I do plan to optimize the suspension arm angles a bit more, but has not been a priority since we have a touring machine, not a performance racer. My goal, if I ever get around to it, will be to optimize the cornering even further using ride height induced camber change and A arm angles to get even more cornering ability.

Make small changes. Use caution also since between improper ride height and poor alignment can make for a sketchy cornering experience.
    Last edited by PMK; 10-29-2023 at 07:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chadashleymatthew View Post
    I own a 2016 F3S. Most riding is solo. I weigh 200 lbs. The A arms are below level where they attach to the bike. Maybe by 1 - 1.5 in. Should they be level?
    The A-arms have a slight curve in them.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue