Spyder Garage

Default Hit and run damage to a Ryker!

Great weather for a ride today we stopped for lunch and came out to find the right front fender on one of the Rykers got hit. Nobody came in to see who they hit, they just left. People suck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2023 at 07:43 PM.

2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Ryker Rally
    1992 Ducati 907ie
    Past rides:
    Yamaha Eluder GT
    BMW K1200s
    Moto Guzzi Stelio
    Honda VTX1300
    Harley Shovelhead
    Triumph T595
    Ducati 915
    Honda CBR600RR
    Suzuki GSXR1100
    1957 Harley Sportster
    Honda 750
    Suzuki TS185
    Honda 360

Spyder Garage

Check with any businesses which might have security cameras. A good way to identify the perp.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hope there is no other damage to the bike.

Spyder Garage

That does suck. Did you find the busted piece? I've seen videos of impressive repairs on this type plastic, just in case you're on your own for the fix.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

We talked to the bartender he didn’t have access but said he would have the owner check and let us know. Not likely anything will come from it. Cops can’t do much since it’s private property. We’ll see ordered a fender when we got home. I did pick up the pieces. I use to do a lot of plastic welding. Mostly pvc and polypropylene. Don’t know what material these are made of. I don’t have any welding rod for this. I assume it’s probably polyethylene of some kind. Not sure it’s worth the hassle to repair. The fender is $100
    Last edited by Fvee3; 10-27-2023 at 06:35 AM.

2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Ryker Rally
    1992 Ducati 907ie
    Past rides:
    Yamaha Eluder GT
    BMW K1200s
    Moto Guzzi Stelio
    Honda VTX1300
    Harley Shovelhead
    Triumph T595
    Ducati 915
    Honda CBR600RR
    Suzuki GSXR1100
    1957 Harley Sportster
    Honda 750
    Suzuki TS185
    Honda 360

Spyder Garage

Thought it was ABS...
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Okay, the fender's not too terribly pricey, I wouldn't worry with a repair, either.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fvee3 View Post
    We talked to the bartender he didn’t have access but said he would have the owner check and let us know. Not likely anything will come from it. Cops can’t do much since it’s private property. We’ll see ordered a fender when we got home. I did pick up the pieces. I use to do a lot of plastic welding. Mostly pvc and polypropylene. Don’t know what material these are made of. I don’t have any welding rod for this. I assume it’s probably polyethylene of some kind. Not sure it’s worth the hassle to repair. The fender is $100
    You don't need law enforcement, other than maybe to run a licence plate. Small claims would do the trick. Though it might not be worth the effort depending on cost.

Spyder Garage

Filing a claim through insurance is going to end up cost you more in the long run. Costing a hundred bucks to replace the fender I'd just go ahead and eat the cost.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Looking at the picture, I don’t think someone hit you with a car. There is no scuff marks on the rim or even tire. Only thing could be a big truck hitch sticking out the back. Thats an intentional shoe damage. Someone intentionally put their foot through that fender flat footed. Only other thing could be a shopping cart but the pieces would have been pushed away if it was a cart. Should be easy to see on any video. I agree with the above statement though. For $100, it’s pretty easy to remove, rewire and put back on. Your deposit for insurance will probably $250 or more so not worth an insurance claim. If it was intentional with a kick, yes the police can file a charge but I doubt you will get a penny even if they have a video of it happening. Bumb deal!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I played around with some polyethylene welding rod. Seems to stick ok. I only have white so it doesn’t look great but it holds well. If this was a painted piece it would work and look good once painted. Because this is just a rough plastic piece sanding the weld kills the original plastic finish. It’ll do until the new fender get here. I’ll experiment with this one after I replace it. No other noticeable damage trike rides fine no pull or steering issue. Very weird place as Wmoater said. When we walked out to the lot no one parked near us. I figured who ever did it parked elsewhere and went inside. Heading back there tomorrow to talk to the owner and check video.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fvee3; 10-27-2023 at 11:11 AM.

2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Ryker Rally
    1992 Ducati 907ie
    Past rides:
    Yamaha Eluder GT
    BMW K1200s
    Moto Guzzi Stelio
    Honda VTX1300
    Harley Shovelhead
    Triumph T595
    Ducati 915
    Honda CBR600RR
    Suzuki GSXR1100
    1957 Harley Sportster
    Honda 750
    Suzuki TS185
    Honda 360

Spyder Garage

Nice job! They make that wide duct tape if needed over the outside as a mask to make rigid if needed. We used it on snowmobiles during races. Pretty impressive stuff.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-27-2023 at 05:29 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Yep, there's another one of those impressive repairs!

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Went back to the restaurant to check video. Delivery guy clipped the fender with the rear of his truck turning out of the lot. We’re going to go back with a thumb drive to copy the video the call the company.

2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Ryker Rally
    1992 Ducati 907ie
    Past rides:
    Yamaha Eluder GT
    BMW K1200s
    Moto Guzzi Stelio
    Honda VTX1300
    Harley Shovelhead
    Triumph T595
    Ducati 915
    Honda CBR600RR
    Suzuki GSXR1100
    1957 Harley Sportster
    Honda 750
    Suzuki TS185
    Honda 360

Spyder Garage

Went back to the restaurant to check video. Delivery guy clipped the fender with the rear of his truck turning out of the lot. We’re going to go back with a thumb drive to copy the video the call the company.
    Awesome! And good for you for following up. I love it when things come together like this. Not that I wish anything on the driver or the company. But right is right. And we could use a lot more of it, these days.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Awesome! And good for you for following up. I love it when things come together like this. Not that I wish anything on the driver or the company. But right is right. And we could use a lot more of it, these days.
    The important question to ask now is - did he even notice?? Or was he completely oblivious to the fact that he might've hit something??

Many drivers/riders don't really know how to set &/or reverse on their mirrors properly, but still don't bother to take the extra moment required to LOOK before backing up!! So if he was only using his mirrors, maybe he thought it was a 'normal' 2-wheeled bike back there and he might've 'thought' he left enough room for one of them, but not enough for anything with 2 FRONT wheels!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2023 at 06:29 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Good! Now we hope to hear you'll be generously reimbursed.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Delivery truck? It's hard to say whether the driver knew they hit your bike. If they did know, that was pretty lousy of them to leave. I'm guessing they didn't know. Good luck getting reimbursed. If they're a decent company, they'll have no problem paying for it.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The important question to ask now is - did he even notice?? Or was he completely oblivious to the fact that he might've hit something??
    My guess is that they are going to say they didn't realize they'd done the damage. Since this is quite plausible, I'd just go with it. I can't imagine the driver saying, "I knew I hit your bike but I just kept going anyway". And I doubt that is the case anyway. The company should make this good without much effort. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Spyder Garage

Here’s the clip of the hit at about 1:36 pm
    https://youtu.be/BV8if-sXAlE?si=Muf4ChPMsxiXJFfT

2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Ryker Rally
    1992 Ducati 907ie
    Past rides:
    Yamaha Eluder GT
    BMW K1200s
    Moto Guzzi Stelio
    Honda VTX1300
    Harley Shovelhead
    Triumph T595
    Ducati 915
    Honda CBR600RR
    Suzuki GSXR1100
    1957 Harley Sportster
    Honda 750
    Suzuki TS185
    Honda 360

Spyder Garage

Hard to say if he KNEW he hit your Ryker, but it's a wee tad suspicious that he stopped immediately after your bike moved when it was hit at about 1:36:11, then backed up to get further over, and finally had another go, during which he fairly was obviously steering further out onto the other side of the road to avoid swinging his tail like he did on his first try.... It looks to me a LOT like he realised that he'd hit your Ryker, and that continuing would do a LOT MORE & obvious damage, likely dragging your bike out of the parking space entirely; but he decided that while he HAD to have another try at getting out without doing further damage, he also decided he didn't need to stop to check out HOW MUCH damage he'd already done, likely cos he thought nobody had noticed!

I do hope the company makes this good for you; they pretty clearly should....

As for the driver, if this is a once off, then maybe he should get to keep his job But if it's just another incident in an on-going saga, then maybe it's time he found another profession, or at least one involving much smaller vehicles?!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

In my opinion, it's going to be pretty hard for this guy can say he didn't know. Looks like the Ryker moved at least 6" when his truck made contact. It was on his side. And he slams on the brakes and appears to look into his left side mirror. In any case. There is no question his is the source of your damage.

Spyder Garage

He knew he hooked it, that's why he backs up and set over in my opinion! If not, he would have taken it out in the street. Good luck anyway, hope you get a new fender out of it, you should, and good job taking it to the end and keeping up with it. You are the victim here, and it should be made right in my book!
    2012 RTL , Pearl