Spyder Garage

Default Kind of an expensive day - 28k service

Took my 2018 RT into the shop today for the 28K service. During the service they discovered the drive belt had been damaged by some type of debris. Also the rear tire was marginal. Tech said it could probably last till spring before it needed to be replaced. But since they were already in there, I decided to have it replaced as well. I was quoted $2,000 and change. Now I know if I had the tools, the expertise, and the mobility, I could have saved a lot of money. But since I don’t have any of those attributes, this was the only way for me to go. They are going to have to order the drive belt, said it would take about a week to get in. Which is fine since winter is coming here in the Pacific Northwest and riding opportunities will be far and few between.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2023 at 05:52 PM. Reason: real tire... ??
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Only 28K on belt? ouch

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Only 28K on belt? ouch
    I had noticed my bike was making an odd noise. You could hear it over or secondary to the normal engine noise. Hard to describe, sort of like a howling sound. I wonder if that was caused by the damaged belt? I'll have to wait till I get it back to find out. The noise wasn't constant but especially evident at lower speeds.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2023 at 07:04 PM. Reason: buy ... ;-
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a Moto Guzzi V7 III still under warranty so I stayed with dealer service. I asked for quote to change lubricants at 3K miles: engine, transmission and final drive. I was supplying lubricants. No body work had to be removed (the V7 III doesn't have any) or other parts and pieces for access. $300. I sold it within a month (good riddance).

4K miles and $400 per year? I'd say your running costs are cheap from a Moto Guzzi perspective.

Keep on riding.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Why would you not have at least one drive belt for each of the models you service on hand?

They don't take up that much space.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 10-27-2023 at 05:59 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Why would you not have at least one drive belt for each of the models you service on hand?

2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Problem being that you’re looking at from your point of view. Try lookiing at things from the dealers point of view. You sell snowmobiles, spyders, seadoos, quads, and you sell 6 different brands as well as service them all. Now you, the customer, come in and the dealer has to order a part because the dealer doesn’t carry one that fits on each individual unit? He would have to have a large building in order to store an a searchable manner for all of the service items. Of course the the dealer must order the belt.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Problem being that you’re looking at from your point of view. Try lookiing at things from the dealers point of view. You sell snowmobiles, spyders, seadoos, quads, and you sell 6 different brands as well as service them all. Now you, the customer, come in and the dealer has to order a part because the dealer doesn’t carry one that fits on each individual unit? He would have to have a large building in order to store an a searchable manner for all of the service items. Of course the the dealer must order the belt.
    I maintained a 680 bed hospital that had over 63 air handlers with different sized belts as well as belts for all sorts of automated equipment there from the OR to the Kitchen and was able to maintain a belt stock in a small and reasonable space with spares for everything. If you are selling Motorcycles/spyders there are not that many belts that would overwhelm them especially if you are servicing them on a regular basis. Why would you want to risk customer satisfaction over something like a belt? I could see waiting for a belt if it is not something you normally sell or service but if you are servicing the models you sell why not stock a common use part like a belt?

I guess we come from two different ways of approaching it but I would be personally embarrassed about not having something as simple as a belt stock on hand.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 10-27-2023 at 05:53 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I maintained a 680 bed hospital that had over 63 air handlers with different sized belts as well as belts for all sorts of automated equipment there from the OR to the Kitchen and was able to maintain a belt stock in a small and reasonable space with spares for everything. If you are selling Motorcycles/spyders there are not that many belts that would overwhelm them especially if you are servicing them on a regular basis. Why would you want to risk customer satisfaction over something like a belt? I could see waiting for a belt if it is not something you normally sell or service but if you are servicing the models you sell why not stock a common use part like a belt?

I guess we come from two different ways of approaching it but I would be personally embarrassed about not having something as simple as a belt stock on hand.
    Maintaining an appropriate inventory is always a challenge for a business, especially when that inventory has to be sold in order to generate revenue. In your hospital job you did not have to be concerned about generating revenue from your belt inventory. You had to be concerned about keeping patients, and especially staff, particularly those above you, comfortable and happy. Big difference in business models.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Maintaining an appropriate inventory is always a challenge for a business, especially when that inventory has to be sold in order to generate revenue. In your hospital job you did not have to be concerned about generating revenue from your belt inventory. You had to be concerned about keeping patients, and especially staff, particularly those above you, comfortable and happy. Big difference in business models.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I can see what you are talking about as I worked as a driver for an Auto Parts store for about 2 years.

A lot of my runs were gates belts and hoses, AP exhaust, and various brake parts to gas stations and service centers and car dealerships around Arlington Va. in the early 1980's

Usually when I arrived the vehicle was in the bay with the mechanic either taking the old part off or waiting for me to get it back on.

I just can't see why this industry can provide that same type of support for these vehicles.

Especially if you are not a DIY'er and the wait for even an oil change is 8-10 weeks out at most places.

I may just be impatient because I know on most things I can usually do it myself and I don't have to wait on somebody else.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 10-28-2023 at 12:29 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just can't see why this industry can [can't?] provide that same type of support for these vehicles.
    Volume, return on investment, and turnover.

Volume in that the number of Spyders out there, and the percentage that suffer failures being low, make it impractical to keep every potentially needed part on hand.

If a business stocks a slow moving, or near non-moving part, the cost of storage coupled with the zero or negative return on investment means the business actually subsidizes the customer who finally comes around and buys the part. One solution would be for the dealer, say for a belt, add an additional charge once a month to the price of it to cover a portion of the cost of physical storage space. And then he would need to add the going investment return on the value of the belt, say 1% to 5% per year that he could realize by leaving the money in the bank. I'm sure you would consider that to be an untenable idea. I'm sure you'll agree waiting for a few days or weeks for the part to come in beats paying double the price so the dealer can afford to stock it for 15 months.

Both of these factors distill to the issue of turnover. Let's say a dealer buys one belt at the start of the year, sells it within a month, and replaces it. And let's say this happens every month. He will have the investment of one belt sitting on the shelf all year, but he will receive the profit of twelve belts in the year. So you can easily see how he can afford to have one on the shelf all the time. But what if he only sells one every 18 months? That paints a whole different picture concerning the return on investment.

In your auto parts experience you saw the value of volume, a lot of cars that needed parts, and a lot garages that were selling the parts. That's just simply not the case with Spyders.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Taxation of inventory varies by state and local area. Since dealerships in states and within local areas in these states where an inventory tax is applied take another hit to Uncle Tax Collector, it is a disincentive to stock lots of parts, e.g., one belt for every model, even though they don't take up much room.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Took my 2018 RT into the shop today for the 28K service. During the service they discovered the drive belt had been damaged by some type of debris. Also the rear tire was marginal. Tech said it could probably last till spring before it needed to be replaced. But since they were already in there, I decided to have it replaced as well. I was quoted $2,000 and change. Now I know if I had the tools, the expertise, and the mobility, I could have saved a lot of money. But since I don’t have any of those attributes, this was the only way for me to go. They are going to have to order the drive belt, said it would take about a week to get in. Which is fine since winter is coming here in the Pacific Northwest and riding opportunities will be far and few between.
    Hi gkamer,

I had a similar situation with my 2014 RTS-SE6; when I took my Spyder in for its 28,000 mile maintenance (it had 30,000 miles), the dealership found the drive belt cogs were in bad shape (not safe to drive) and they found a PIN in the automatic steering column which needed to be replaced. I said to the dealership that I don't want to keep dumping money into my 'at the time 2014 RTS SE6' (which is now SOLD) so I traded my it in for my current Spyder, which is a 2023 F3 LTD Special Series. Also, the cost of drive belt cogs including labor was going to be more than $2,000.00. The PIN in the automatic steering column was going to be the same cost as the drive belt cogs. The drive belt on my 2014 RTS-SE6 was OEM.

My 2014 RTS-SE6 was 9 years old, and it depreciated a lot in value.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2023 at 06:37 PM. Reason: then; alot; +... ;-)

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

That quote for a belt seems really way overpriced, a belt costs about $400.Even at $150/hr for labor would turn out to be roughly 10.5 hours of labor for a $2000 quote.

I would hope that it would not take 10.5 hours just to replace a drive belt.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 10-29-2023 at 11:34 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Hi gkamer,

I had a similar situation with my 2014 RTS-SE6; when I took my Spyder in for its 28,000 mile maintenance (it had 30,000 miles), the dealership found the drive belt cogs were in bad shape (not safe to drive) and they found a PIN in the automatic steering column which needed to be replaced. I said to the dealership that I don't want to keep dumping money into my 'at the time 2014 RTS SE6' (which is now SOLD) so I traded my it in for my current Spyder, which is a 2023 F3 LTD Special Series. Also, the cost of drive belt cogs including labor was going to be more than $2,000.00. The PIN in the automatic steering column was going to be the same cost as the drive belt cogs. The drive belt on my 2014 RTS-SE6 was OEM.

My 2014 RTS-SE6 was 9 years old, and it depreciated a lot in value.

Deanna
    Next time you need a belt replaced bring it over to my place, I'll do it for a steak dinner! Wow $2000 for a belt job!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

$2000 to replace the belt and tire? Parts would be about $350. Even at the terrible California labor prices That is a screw job. I have done it in two 1/2 hrs and I am not a mechanic. I have just owned 5 Spyders and hate dealers prices. (also retired Sheriff's Deputy)

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle dealerships are regularly closing down because they aren't making profits. Floor planning of new machines and spare parts costs are a big drain on small businesses. I'd rather have to wait a bit for a part than not have a local dealer if/when I need one.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JITI, blame the Japanese. I believe they started just in time inventory.
    Also, I wouldn't compare hospital inventory to that of a Spyder dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    I had a Moto Guzzi V7 III still under warranty so I stayed with dealer service. I asked for quote to change lubricants at 3K miles: engine, transmission and final drive. I was supplying lubricants. No body work had to be removed (the V7 III doesn't have any) or other parts and pieces for access. $300. I sold it within a month (good riddance).

4K miles and $400 per year? I'd say your running costs are cheap from a Moto Guzzi perspective.

Keep on riding.
    Part of the problem today is the labor rate. Dealers in NJ are $140 per hour. Plus it depends if the dealer goes by the book. If he manufacturers service manual says two hours for service that is what they charge, even if the service takes one hour. You have to search for an honest dealer. Now most dealers won't work on bikes if they are ten years or more older.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

My dealer charges $159/hr.. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Well I finally pick up my bike from the Dealership today. I brought it in for the 28,000 Gold Service. While working on it the Tech discovered there was a rock puncture in the drive belt and it needed to replaced, so I approved that. Then I was advised the rear tire was down to it's Wear markers. They said it would probably last until Spring, but since they were back there replacing the drive belt anyway, I approved them to replace the tire was well. This way I won't have to pay more in the Spring. A load test on the battery disclosed a dead cell, so I had them install a new battery as well. So the Gold Service came in at $630.00. The belt/tire replacement came to $1,192 parts/labor and the battery replacement came to $260.00. So with tax and shop costs, out the door $2,352.00. But I should be good to go until the end of next summer.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Next time you need a belt replaced bring it over to my place, I'll do it for a steak dinner! Wow $2000 for a belt job!
    Mikey,

The $2,000 was also for the PIN in the automatic steering column plus the drive belt ( that had bad cogs, which made the not safe to drive. The $2,000 quote was to replace the PIN in the automatic steering column, and replace the drive belt. I also posted that in my post #14 the reason why I it cost that. Also part of the $2,000 cost was for labor, and time.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Well I finally pick up my bike from the Dealership today. I brought it in for the 28,000 Gold Service. While working on it the Tech discovered there was a rock puncture in the drive belt and it needed to replaced, so I approved that. Then I was advised the rear tire was down to it's Wear markers. They said it would probably last until Spring, but since they were back there replacing the drive belt anyway, I approved them to replace the tire was well. This way I won't have to pay more in the Spring. A load test on the battery disclosed a dead cell, so I had them install a new battery as well. So the Gold Service came in at $630.00. The belt/tire replacement came to $1,192 parts/labor and the battery replacement came to $260.00. So with tax and shop costs, out the door $2,352.00. But I should be good to go until the end of next summer.
    Thanks for the update!

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover