Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I test rode a 2023 today!

I'm impressed! I've been riding single, and two up for 50 years.
    However... I was not allowed to get out on the freeway because I do not have a 3 wheel endorsement.
    I have one question... Can you keep decent control at freeway speeds and able to only use one arm/hand at times to rest the other arm/hand?
    I have a little arthritis in one wrist, and need to rest it out every once in a while.
    I've been riding a BMW r1150GS for the last 23 years, and two up on two wheels has become taxing on my wrist without giving it a rest.
    I'm at that age (pushing 70) where maybe a Spyder would feel safer

Thank you for your input

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoatFixx View Post
    However... I was not allowed to get out on the freeway because I do not have a 3 wheel endorsement.
    I have one question... Can you keep decent control at freeway speeds and able to only use one arm/hand at times to rest the other arm/hand?
    I have a little arthritis in one wrist, and need to rest it out every once in a while.
    I've been riding a BMW r1150GS for the last 23 years, and two up on two wheels has become taxing on my wrist without giving it a rest.

Thank you for your input
    YES ..... the best advice I got about driving a Spyder was ... drive it like a car .... Light grip on the steering .... Test brakes in a firm stop ( they will surprise you on how powerful they are ) .... Personally I have been at speeds above 115 mph and had no issues with control .... I had approx. 5000 mi on my Spyder before I did this .... I don't advise anyone to do this for reasons un-related to the Handling .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your input
    I also have arthritis in both wrist finger joints/etc. Anyway, IF your alignment is the best, you can put it on cruise and if you want you can steer with one hand and maintain a pretty straight line. Control? That is not for me to interpret what your control would be. I only do this when no one else is around and only if I felt I had control of my ride.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

t
    That is exactly how I ride most of the time, cruise control is a trips best friend. First time on the interstate I swore if I got home and didn't loose over $5,000 that !#%$!#$^% was gonna be gone. Then I started paying attention to what folks were telling me. Fell in love with it. Over 50,000 miles later I still love it.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As the others have said, by all means....rest one hand at a time (please don’t rest both hands at the same time). I also have arthritis in my hands as well as my legs and am a decade older than you (that’s why I’m on a Spyder) and love my ryde. As for control at freeway speeds, I myself don’t like to do an extended single hand, but a flex of the arm and fingers, sure. Any more than that.....take a 5 or 10 minute break....get off the tryke and stretch your whole body. jmho, wthdik.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

...First off Welcome to the Spyder Forum.

Lots of good Tips on ryding the Spyder.
    Ryde with only one hand is possible but I'm NOT going to recommend doing that. That being said I have riden with one hand when it was safe to do so.

Be Safe and Enjoy your Ryde Times. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

i have right shoulder issues and arthritis in both hands as well as knees and ankles. i use foam grip covers on both sides to reduce the vibration on longer drives.
    I also find that when on long stretches of straight road, i can use the cruise control and rest my hands in alternate fashion keeping one hand on the bars at all times.
    I also allow my right hand to hang down when i safely can and allow it to do gentle circular motions to ease the shoulder pain, something my PT guy came up with.
    As above only do any of those things WHEN safe and like one poster said, stop and get off for 5 minutes to rest ( IMHO at least once an hour.....)
    Last edited by WRCLVR; 10-26-2023 at 08:29 AM.
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

One arm works just fine but don't forget about the cruise control also???
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your input
    What model did you test out??
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I use the heated grips when I need them even in the summer months and that seems to help also.

Spyder Garage

As you can see from the replies a lot of us blokes, myself included, have common maladies that are the results of many trips around the sun. Mike has offered some of the most important nuggets for a rider approaching life on three wheels; I concur in all of them, particularly the light touch on the bars.

One of the things you should know about Spyders is that BRP's alignment of roadsters off the assembly line is spotty at best. There is a third party system named Rolo that is approved by BRP and if done correctly will give you a roadster that tracks like an arrow shot from a crossbow. If a dealership has the Rolo system and you decide to buy, ask them to make it part of the OTD price and shouldn't add more than $150.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

All good advice above. The Spyder line up is very sensitive to "input." Over control leads to "iffy" driving down the highway. Light input is your friend. I found cruise control to be my friend for longer trips. It allows you to vary your driving positions.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, I got a '23 limited. Set cruise, drink my coffee. Light pressure is all you need. Grip and hold firm and it's not a good ride.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-29-2023 at 03:08 PM. Reason: i ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Yes, you can rest your hands as others described. I have arthritis in both hands and put foam covers (Spyderpops) on both grips for more cushioning and use a cramp buster (Cycle Gear) on the throttle. I positioned the cramp buster so I can accelerate by just using my right hand thumb and not have to turn my entire wrist. I can ride all day with no problems.
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

I ride with cruise control any time I can, highway or back roads, and find one handed driving both safe and comfortable. I also have arthritis in my right thumb and have found that resting my thumb/hand on top of the grip works well on long trips. A Cramp Buster under the heel of your hand will give your wrist some support as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    Yes, you can rest your hands as others described. I have arthritis in both hands and put foam covers (Spyderpops) on both grips for more cushioning and use a cramp buster (Cycle Gear) on the throttle. I positioned the cramp buster so I can accelerate by just using my right hand thumb and not have to turn my entire wrist. I can ride all day with no problems.
    I use a cramp buster on both sides.. That way I can relax my grip a little more and rest my hand when needed.. The arthritis isn't going to stop me...LOL I also have problems in my left shoulder. Riding one handed, when safe, is not a problem.. The power assist steering helps out a lot.
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your input
    The 2023 comes with cruise control but yes you can definitely ride with one hand while resting the other. On the freeway/interstate I usually rest one or the other hand on the hand grip while I control the steering with the other with my cruise engaged. Of course, I only use cruise control when outside cities, and traffic in my neck of the woods is usually pretty light. The 2023 should handle like a dream.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2023 at 05:54 PM. Reason: I ... I ;-)
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Arthritis in wrists, knees and ankles.

If your Spyder is aligned correctly with decent tires it should roll along nicely at freeway speeds.

I find I keep both hands on the bars as that posture gives me the least pain.

I rest up when I gas up and Tylenol is my friend at the end of the day.

For me, the Spyder is better on my joints than sport cruiser bikes, especially on surface streets where you are stopping all the time.

Taking the $99 BRP course taught me how to stop my death grip and made it much more pleasant to ride. Should give you your license endorsement if you need one in many states.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I also ride single handed most of the time. I have a 2023 F3 LTD Special Series.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

We tried the foam grips, they did eliminate some of the vibration but forced my hand in a position that aggravated the arthritis in both thumbs due to the additional thickness. I had to cut them off mid ride. We both use the cruise quite a bit to give us a bit of relief and do ride one handed often and due switch off L-R, a lite grip really helps.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On long trips I will often just rest my arms/wrists on top of the handlebar grips rather than curl my fingers around the grip. That helps to relax and rest my arms. Also I will at times hold onto the handlebar inside of the grips for a change in arm position. And I do one handed steering some of the time. Of course this is all with cruise control engaged and driving on a straight away, not curves.

As others have said, the key to being able to do this is a really good wheel alignment.

The absolute most important aspect of steering a Spyder, compared to two wheelers, is you must steer through curves. No more just leaning over and letting the bike do the turning.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Howdy Mikey, the '23 Sea to Sky, and in fact, I rode it home to today.
    From Lacy (Washington) on up the Hood Canal to Port Hadlock.
    So... Freeway I-5; then highway; then 45 miles of twisties along the Hood Canal; up over Mt. Walker; and home.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-29-2023 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts...

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear, and welcome to the mad world of SpyderLovers (and owners). It’s a little on the cool side here in the lower mainland of BC, howver the sub is shining and still has some heat in it. I’m assuming your area is much the same, so keep on riding for as long as you’re able. Congratulations!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Congrats and welcome. You will enjoy your Spyder. That ride on 101 is great. Done it many times, the last time was August 2022 when I rode both north and south after visiting sister at Port Ludlow. I ALWAYS make a point of having lunch at the Tides Cafe when in the area. Fresh fried oysters are to die for. You live in a very beautiful part of the country. Enjoy..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks! Yes, topped out yesterday around 45° F.
    Presently, 30° F @ 10:00 am.
    Nonetheless, giving rides to the grandkids after lunch and hopefully 45° F at least.
    We have heated vests we use on our BMW, so I'll be adding two DIN power outlets to power the vests.
    Yesterday we rode with the seats and grips on, but my upper back was still pretty chilly after many miles.
    Man... I'm getting soft in my older age...

Thanks all!
    I bought the '23 Sea to Sky and rode it home to yesterday.
    From Lacy (Washington) on up the Hood Canal to Port Hadlock.
    So... Freeway I-5; then highway; then 45 miles of twisties along the Hood Canal; up over Mt Walker; and home.
    Yes, I used the cruise control in the straights. Sweet! A most excellent route for the first ride, '23 Sea to Sky!

IMG_5361.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-29-2023 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts made within moments of each other?? ... ...