Spyder Garage

Default Anyone Cut open a F3S muffler?

Has anyone cut open a F3S muffler? I might modify my muffler a bit. Curious what is inside.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-23-2023 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Might be an expensive venture if it turns out the wrong way. No turning back at that point. I've done it before with a few of my 2 wheelers (with success). The key is to start small, test for sound, and then adjust as necessary. JMHO.
    Last edited by Dasmoetorhead; 10-23-2023 at 04:22 PM. Reason: +info

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I have done that surgery. It's been a while ago, so I don't recall if I kept photos. From the inlet, the exhaust enters a chamber the full dimension of the muffler by about 3" axial depth. Then there is a baffle plate across the muffler cross-section. There are two perforated pipes projecting axially down the length of the muffler surrounded by heavy fiberglass packing. I believe the tubes projecting from the end cap telescope over the perforated tubes.

I cut the end section out beneath the end cap with cut-off grinder disks mounted to an angle grinder. There are welds near the inlet end which hold that first baffle in place. Cut or drill the welds and the baffle plate can be removed. Weld the holes closed when you're done. I had removed the heat shields, sand blasted the muffler to expose the stainless-steel shell, then reattached the heat shields left painted black.

I've run my 2015 F3-S with the honeycomb and baffles removed from the Secondary Muffler and the guts removed from the Primary Muffler since I got in in early 2016.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-29-2023 at 08:55 PM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap