Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is your F4 Customs Windshield any better than Stock? For Pillion too?

Hello fellow trikers,
    I am looking to get some info from the hive mind.
    I recently received and installed an F4 Customs 21" windshield on my F3.
    Does anyone else have one installed? What are your feelings/reviews on it?
    The reason I ordered it was that after a highway ride my wife said that the wind buffeting was awful with the stock windshield. It hit her right in the face and at higher speeds it was causing lift at her chin.
    I want her to enjoy the ride as much as I do so I hopped online and looked for alternative taller windshields. Multiple things I read pointed me towards F4.
    Now here's the concern: I have ridden 5 or 6 times since last week when I installed it, she has not been on the back yet.
    I don't feel that it has any better wind protection than the stock windshield. It seems to be moving the slipstream to just above my helmet and the wind and noise seem to be the same as the stock windshield.
    Once I had the F4 in hand I was able to compare the designs and the biggest thing I see is that the stock one has a curved lip at the top that redirects air, whereas the F4 21" is flat.
    For those with this windshield that also ride 2-up... does your passenger report that it's better than stock?
    I am now contemplating ordering the Can-Am Tallboy but don't want to keep spending if there isn't a good fix.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2023 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shouldn't you wait until after your wife tries it out?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Before you try another windshield try adding an Xcreen type deflector to the existing windshield.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    Before you try another windshield try adding an Xcreen type deflector to the existing windshield.
    I just saw that product in a post yesterday. Very intriguing and I am curious about putting it on the stock windshield. If I add it to the F4 21" then it will be right in my line of sight.
    Has anyone reading this added it to the stock screen?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Shouldn't you wait until after your wife tries it out?
    Absolutely. If she says it's better then I will leave it as is with the F4. I am just anticipating that it didn't make much difference based on where I can feel the slipstream when I lift my hand into it above my helmet. So trying to get some input on options people are happy with for 2 up riding.

Spyder Garage

Our 2021 F3 Limited came with a wider and taller windshield so I do not know what the stock would feel like. This one is a Show Chrome I believe. My wife likes the F3 better than our 2013 RT Limited because she sits up higher and can see over me. She says the buffeting is about the same. Mostly notices when behind certain vehicles. That and she has to clean her face shield more now. I'm not positive, but I feel like the "wrap around" effect is not as great on the F3. The windshield is about 35" wide at the mounts and 24" tall. I look just over the top mostly when ryding. Feel very little wind unless following a vehicle of certain sizes/shapes. I'm 6' tall.

Spyder Garage

I just checked the site.
    On the site they offer a 22 Inch Sport - 25 Inch Stock - 28 inch Plus 3 wide - or Spyder F3-S 25", Spyder F3-S 28" and Spyder F3-S 32".

You say you have a 21".

The 25 appears to be the stock height. You bought a sports screen and wonder why you have wind?

If you want to reduce wind in my opinion you need a bigger screen.

Thats why I bought the F4 32" and added the winglets. I'm 6-2".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I just checked the site.
    On the site they offer a 22 Inch Sport - 25 Inch Stock - 28 inch Plus 3 wide - or Spyder F3-S 25", Spyder F3-S 28" and Spyder F3-S 32".

You say you have a 21".

The 25 appears to be the stock height. You bought a sports screen and wonder why you have wind?

Not sure what model you are looking at but this is what comes up when I look and this is what I used to order:

Select Windshield
    F3-Touring 21 Inch - $365.00 USD
    F3-Touring 23 Inch - $370.00 USD
    F3-Touring 25 Inch - $375.00 USD

It is not a sport shield, it is a touring 21" and I chose it so that I could look over and not through it. The stock windshield is 12" so I reasonably expected a windshield that is 9" taller to provide a higher slipstream but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    My stock windshield most definitely is not 25"

Spyder Garage

I just checked the site.

You say you have a 21".

Now I’m confused, Iso……you ride an F3-L and you say you have a 32” F4, but the 32” is made for the F3-s, not the F3-L. Am I missing something?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CdnF3Rider View Post
    Not sure what model you are looking at but this is what comes up when I look and this is what I used to order:

Select Windshield
    F3-Touring 21 Inch - $365.00 USD
    F3-Touring 23 Inch - $370.00 USD
    F3-Touring 25 Inch - $375.00 USD

It is not a sport shield, it is a touring 21" and I chose it so that I could look over and not through it. The stock windshield is 12" so I reasonably expected a windshield that is 9" taller to provide a higher slipstream but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    My stock windshield most definitely is not 25"
    Yes, that’s the correct sizing, CdnF3. I’m 6’7” and bought the tallest F4 screen (25”) for my F3-L, to have it at nose height. I’m not sure where Iso is getting his data from

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

You blokes are getting ya knickers in a twist. And ignoring the message. Bigger screen = less wind. Sheesh

Moving on. you blokes, well carry on.

Spyder Garage

Yes, that’s the F4 sizing options, Iso, but that doesn’t tie in with your mention of 22, 25, 28 heights for the Limited, nor your comment that you have a 32” on your Limited in your post#7 ???

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

You blokes are getting ya knickers in a twist. And ignoring the message. Bigger screen = less wind. Sheesh

Moving on. you blokes, well carry on.
    C’mon Iso…..fair suck of the sav. You’re the one who took the op to task for “buying a sports screen and expecting to get less wind” quoting those strange heights…….

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hello fellow trikers,
    The reason I ordered it was that after a highway ride my wife said that the wind buffeting was awful with the stock windshield. It hit her right in the face and at higher speeds it was causing lift at her chin.
    I want her to enjoy the ride as much as I do so I hopped online and looked for alternative taller windshields. Multiple things I read pointed me towards F4.
    Now here's the concern: I have ridden 5 or 6 times since last week when I installed it, she has not been on the back yet.
    I don't feel that it has any better wind protection than the stock windshield. It seems to be moving the slipstream to just above my helmet and the wind and noise seem to be the same as the stock windshield.
    Once I had the F4 in hand I was able to compare the designs and the biggest thing I see is that the stock one has a curved lip at the top that redirects air, whereas the F4 21" is flat.
    For those with this windshield that also ride 2-up... does your passenger report that it's better than stock?
    I am now contemplating ordering the Can-Am Tallboy but don't want to keep spending if there isn't a good fix.
    I have the 25” F4 w/s……plus I installed Baker Wings which really help alot around upper and lower body. Just came back from the Smokies….35 degree morning ride, my girlfriend riding behind me was very happy……she’s told me she get no wind buffeting……except behind a semi at 65mph.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Hello fellow trikers,
    ++++++++++++++++++

What model of the F3 do you have? Different screens for the F3 and F3S compared with the F3-T and L.

I ride 1 up and have a Madstad 20", which is adjustable for height and angle (rake).

Welcome from Vancouver Island!

Rick
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
    ++++++++++++++++++
    What model of the F3 do you have? Different screens for the F3 and F3S compared with the F3-T and L.
    I ride 1 up and have a Madstad 20", which is adjustable for height and angle (rake).
    Rick
    He has a 21” screen, Rick, and F4 only make that for the Limited/Touring models.

…..and I agree with you re the Madstad. That adjustability really lets you set the screen to the perfect height. I ended up attaching my 25” F4 to the Madstad brackets on my F3-L. Being a little squarer across the top, and a little wider than the Madstad, it fit my large frame perfectly Plus, I like the idea of being able to wash and dry the F4 screen with water and paper towel.
    ……and the F4 keeps on giving It is now proudly mounted on my ‘21 RTL and providing great coverage.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Check out the windshields from 7jurock. I have had one on my last bike and am ordering one for the new bike. They are all priced around $220. I had one made to my custom specifications, wider than normal and they have the lip at the top and work very well, at about 1/2 the price.

johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

++++++++++++++++++

Rick
    I have a 2018 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buffeting on the pillion rider often is caused by backdraft, which seldom is solved with a taller windshield, in my experience.

Have you tried it with a pillion rider yet?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    He has a 21” screen, Rick, and F4 only make that for the Limited/Touring models.

…..and I agree with you re the Madstad. That adjustability really lets you set the screen to the perfect height. I ended up attaching my 25” F4 to the Madstad brackets on my F3-L. Being a little squarer across the top, and a little wider than the Madstad, it fit my large frame perfectly Plus, I like the idea of being able to wash and dry the F4 screen with water and paper towel.
    ……and the F4 keeps on giving It is now proudly mounted on my ‘21 RTL and providing great coverage.

Pete
    +++++++++

Great idea Pete, using the Madstad hardware adjustability and the wider, more robust F4 screen.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

Hello fellow trikers,
    I have one but mine is bigger and I also look through it. It made a big difference for me and the wife. One of the best buys for me.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-23-2023 at 05:05 PM.
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White

Spyder Garage

+++++++++

Great idea Pete, using the Madstad hardware adjustability and the wider, more robust F4 screen.
    Thanks Rick….it worked very well on the F3.

The decision to upgrade the stock ‘21 RT screen was taken out of my hands when shipping prices went through the roof (and stayed through the roof) during Covid, and it brought the ol’ reliable F4 screen into play. It wasn’t hard to do the cutouts to fit the electric screen. Sure the F4 screen has a couple of extraneous holes in it (added ventiation), but it works a treat. It really has been value for monet

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I have that exact windscreen (F4 Customs 21") on my 2016 F3L and it's far superior to the original. No extenders at the side, but I did get one with the Goldwing vent.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

Hello fellow trikers,
    I have one on mine with the wings. Better half is a whole lot happier. I look through mine tho, which I’m good with. I’ve always had a big windshield on all my bikes.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-16-2023 at 02:19 AM.
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White