Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    An addendum to my post #6: As it turns out, even though this time of year and the 5 or so months ahead is good riding weather here in Central Texas, It may be awhile before I will be able to get out there. I started Chemotherapy and Radiation today (10/23) for stage 2B non-small cell lung cancer in two areas of my right lung. I have been cautioned about driving, much less riding, until I find out what, if any, side effects I may experience, i.e. nausea/vomiting, elevated temperature, rashes, tiredness, and the list goes on, hair loss being another, but that only means that I will have to tighten my helmet chin strap. I've always wondered what I would look like bald, so I've started out by getting a military buzz cut ( been a VERY long time since I've had one, and the wife even admits that it looks better than she thought it would), so now, when what little hair I have left begins to fall out, I can shave my head in the shower every morning. What could be better that that? Well, not having cancer I guess would be better.
    Prayers and best wishes to you Oldguy. The only time I ever put mine away for the winter was three years ago when I was down after prostate cancer surgery. That was probably one of the only times in the past 25 years that I didn't get to do a New Year's day ride. Here in the mid Atlantic, I can usually get out once or twice every month of the year for a few miles.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

picking up our new-to-us 2022 S2S on Friday and putting it away for the winter. Unfortunately here in Ontario Canada there are next to zero stations that carry e0 gas - everything is up to 10% ethanol. It will be in a heater indoor space, but will be picking up some Sta-bil marine. looking forward to riding it.... in April. lol
    Forecast is talking about snow showers as early as next week
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Sea to Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mmeechan View Post
    picking up our new-to-us 2022 S2S on Friday and putting it away for the winter. Unfortunately here in Ontario Canada there are next to zero stations that carry e0 gas - everything is up to 10% ethanol. It will be in a heater indoor space, but will be picking up some Sta-bil marine. looking forward to riding it.... in April. lol
    Do you not have CHEVRON?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

~~~congrats buying your 1st Spyder RT. I’m assuming this is your first, you didn’t really say. Just a hunch on my part. Also, you didn’t mention where in Ontario you reside. I’m an ex-Detroiter. Spent the first 29 years of my life in around Detroit but, spent many a summer sailing with Mom/Dad in the north channel, Georgian Bay. Closer to Detroit, many weekends in BelleRiver (by water). Anyways, thinking it’s gotta be a be-otch, dropping 30 large on a new Spyder RT (S2S version) & having to lay it up for 5 months…

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Now in living colour
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I'm a little late to this party, OldGuy - cancer sucks. Best wishes on kicking its a$$, and good on you for getting out if you can. Keep on keepin on, brother, I'm rooting for you. And from one bald guy to another, the look grows on you.

My ride went up on dollies, rolled to the front of the garage, and put to sleep at the end of August. I know, what the heck, right? I'm recovering from a shoulder rebuild, lots of tendons and arthritis were fixed. No riding until spring. supposed to be in the 60's this weekend. I'm feeling a bunch better. I will be tempted to sneak it out, but if I goof this shoulder up, theres a long list of people that will not be happy.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I live in southern Ontario.
    If you look at the pumps they will have a sticker saying what the ethanol rating is.
    Most say - regular 10%
    middle grade 5%
    premium 0%
    Shell did not have any ethanol, but I think that might have changed.
    Now the sticker says may contain up tp to 10%

Spyder Garage

I try to put mine away just before they start spraying the liquid salt on the roads. Winter is such a drag.

Spyder Garage

On the first post, the person stated the brakes are off. I have not ever done this.

Is it advisable??

Thanks
    Loving my 2020 RT-L

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don’t think so, having never done it on ANY vehicles that I’ve ever owned.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I put mine to bed a week ago, we'll wake it up come April...... In MI, Progressive Insurance changed its policy - no motorcycle storage, no more discounts... I was able to renegotiate some stuff without changing anything.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-04-2023 at 05:40 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustin921 View Post
    On the first post, the person stated the brakes are off. I have not ever done this.

Is it advisable??

Thanks
    I always park mine in the garage with the parking brake off. Less hassle to push it around if I need to. Why put components under tension stress if not necessary?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

While its been too cold to enjoy riding for the last week or so here in northern IL, I have no plans yet to put away the Spyder or my other motorcycle yet for the winter. I have almost never considered the season for riding over prior to at least mid November. Since rarely is the weather conducive to riding again before April, ending the riding season in early November means 5 months without riding. Right now its 30 degrees where I am, with a wind chill of 25. But the weather prediction for tomorrow is that it will reach 68 degrees!

For the past 30 years or so, when I decide to put away a bike for the winter it is a pretty simple process, but one that has never left me with a problem come the following Spring. I fill the tank, add Stabil, and run the engine for about 5 minutes. I turn off the engine, hook up the Battery Tender, stuff a piece of rag in the exhaust pipe or pipes, and cover the bike. This all takes less than 10 minutes from beginning to end, so why do it before it is absolutely necessary?

I do wonder about the comment about not engaging the parking brake. How do you go about doing that? If I turn off the ignition and have not engaged that brake, the Spyder starts beeping at me. For the two winters that I have put away my RT, I have left the bike with the brake engaged and have not had a problem come the Spring.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

The beeping will stop in about 20 or 30 seconds..............

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    The beeping will stop in about 20 or 30 seconds..............

Lew L

~~~yes but those 20-30 seconds are maddening=:-)

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I put my to bed for it's long winter nap last week. I wont wake up the until April 2024.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    An addendum to my post #6: As it turns out, even though this time of year and the 5 or so months ahead is good riding weather here in Central Texas, It may be awhile before I will be able to get out there. I started Chemotherapy and Radiation today (10/23) for stage 2B non-small cell lung cancer in two areas of my right lung. I have been cautioned about driving, much less riding, until I find out what, if any, side effects I may experience, i.e. nausea/vomiting, elevated temperature, rashes, tiredness, and the list goes on, hair loss being another, but that only means that I will have to tighten my helmet chin strap. I've always wondered what I would look like bald, so I've started out by getting a military buzz cut ( been a VERY long time since I've had one, and the wife even admits that it looks better than she thought it would), so now, when what little hair I have left begins to fall out, I can shave my head in the shower every morning. What could be better that that? Well, not having cancer I guess would be better.
    My best wishes and prayers to you friend. I had a lobectomy 18 months ago for the same. Although the treatments are rough on the rest of the body, I think they are making loads of advances in getting rid of this stuff. Stay positive. I am hoping it is gone for you soon.

From another Old Guy …….
    SP

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~yes but those 20-30 seconds are maddening=:-)

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    The best way to counteract that aggravation is, turn the ignition off and back on immediately, take your gear off, unload the bike, get ready to go into the house, turn ignition off, and listen to the beeping for only the five seconds it takes to go inside the house! Problem solved!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post
    Sad to say, I put the Spyder to bed today in advance a long Wisconsin Winter. We still have some nice days for riding short term but you'd have to bundle up to make it enjoyable. My routine is rather simple. I usually spend an afternoon detailing with lots of attention to the wheels and plastics. Top off the tank with nonethanol and a dash of Startron, pull the battery, add the full cover, and roll her into a corner of the garage. I prefer to park her on old pieces of carpet, no real benefit I suppose but it makes me feel better knowing she's not sitting on bare concrete. The Parking Brake is off and so ends another season on three wheels.

Now, where's that Leaf Rake and Snow Shovel?
    C'mon man. You have to invest on a leaf blower and a snow blower, LOL.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-05-2023 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !