Spyder Garage

Default 2018 F3T will not downshift automatically - any ideas?

My wife’s 2018 F3T has decided to stop automatically downshifting. When starting cold it may downshift a couple of times but when it does work, it seems to downshift at the wrong RPM and will lunge pretty hard at the shift. Once it warms up, it will not downshift at all. You can come up to a stop in 6th gear if you don’t watch it. It will manually downshift as its supposed to.

I’ve also noticed sitting at a light you have to apply the brake pretty hard to stay stopped because it wants to go. The idle RPM has not changed since this started and stays at 800-900. It has also died a couple times at a stop but does start right back up.

When upshifting and running at highway speeds all seems normal.

There are no fault codes.

I know it most likely needs to visit the dealer but the closest dealer is 3 hours away and I haven’t been too impressed with their service so far.

I did replace the LH multifunction assembly a few months back for no reverse or manual downshift which resolved those issues.

I haven’t been able to find much of anything on this issue and hoping someone may have a suggestion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

will lunge pretty hard at the shift.
    I’ve also noticed sitting at a light you have to apply the brake pretty hard to stay stopped because it wants to go.
    You have a HCM failure of some sort. The TCM controls the HCM line pressure which control the clutch engagement points. They are obviously incorrect.

Because you are so far from a trusted dealer I would first try a complete oil, engine filter and HCM filter change. I would use the BRP 5W40 oil to establish a baseline. I recommend BajaRon for the filters to ensure you get the correct and complete kits.

After changing the oil and filters drive for at least 100 (200 better) highway miles if you can do so safely. You want to circulate the oil through the filters and through the clutch plates (they have cooling ports) therefore every few miles or so cycle through the gears 6-5-4-3-4-5-6 at least times.

If the symptoms mostly improve repeat the oil and filters change and thank your lucky stars.

If they don't you may have CANBUS problems, TCM firmware problems, TCM short/long term trim problems, dirty or worn HCM solenoids, or failing/disconnected HCM temperature and pressure sensors.

Hopefully someone can provide a better and cheaper diagnosis than mine.

Best wishes.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

It has right at 22k on it now and close enough for its next oil change. I didn’t have any idea about the transmission filter so I’ll take care of that as well.

Anything outside of that I guess I’ll be finding a dealer.

Spyder Garage

This is strictly from memory and I can't find the video. Possible obstruction under a solenoid valve seat and BUDS was used to fully open the solenoid and flush it out. Don't remember if it threw a code but they used BUDS to check the pressure points in the system and found the problem.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks! I’ll add that and see if I can find anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gjordon View Post
    .... I’ve also noticed sitting at a light you have to apply the brake pretty hard to stay stopped because it wants to go. The idle RPM has not changed since this started and stays at 800-900. It has also died a couple times at a stop but does start right back up....
    I had that exact problem. Posted about it last year. The clutch basket central nut came loose over time. Dealer took it apart and fixed it in one day. It's been perfect ever since.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t-idle-problem
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2023 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display; added link ;-)

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    I had that exact problem. Posted about it last year. The clutch basket central nut came loose over time. Dealer took it apart and fixed it in one day. It's been perfect ever since.

Well I guess you made it home safely ........Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2023 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post

That sounds just like the issue and makes sense but you didn’t mention any issues with the auto downshift. I guess I could have two unrelated issues other than they both started at the same time.

I guess it’s time to find a reputable dealer who accepts my warranty.

Thanks for the tip!