Spyder Garage

Default Dead battery - Thanks to all who helped; I made it Home!

Went to see the Skin Doctor yesterday. A lifetime of working and playing outdoors leaves it's mark on the the very fair skinned. I took the Spyder as it was a beautiful ride from Spring City to Provo. Afterwards I went for lunch and the Spyder battery died. I did a little praying and got it started and headed for home. I had to stop for gas and hoped it had one more start in it. It didn't. Stuck in Spanish Fork at the Walmart gas station. I called NAPA. Yes, they had the battery (miracle) No, they wouldn't deliver. Called my friend Gail Paxton. Yes, he was home, yes, he could help (miracle). Spent 3 hours changing out the battery (miracle that I could figure out how!) Put everything back together; only had one extra screw that I had left out on purpose; and the Spyder started right up (miracle). Drove home about 60 miles in the dark through the canyons and didn't see a single critter (miracle) and arrived safely home by 9:45.pm. Thank God for all the wonderful blessings on this afternoon/night when so much more could have gone wrong. There were several people (strangers) who came over to check on me and one who even offered a garage and a bed if I needed them; JT the Walmart clerk at the gas station who brought me a drink; and of course my friend, riding buddy, and fellow TRA member Gail, without whom I could not have done this. I also always felt that my Savior was nearby. At 77 I realize more and more the presence of Jesus in every part of my life, and I am grateful for both that realization and that presence. So thank you to all who helped.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-20-2023 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Sir, there still are nice people left in the world. Glad everything worked out to your advantage.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

The 2012 Spyder must have the battery that mounts on the left side. I understand it can be a bear to get out.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    ..... At 77 I realize more and more the presence of Jesus in every part of my life and I am grateful for both that realization and that presence. So thank you to all who helped.
    I am sure I speak for everyone involved here; you are so very welcome. Now, boogie on down to Harbor Freight or some other vendor and purchase a compact jump starter, and keep it stored in the bottom of your trunk. They cost less than a battery and you'll have the ability to help some other poor person who may need assistance with a dead battery. Good luck and pass it on down the line.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-20-2023 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Very, very glad it came to a good conclusion ..... To ALL others who read of your issue, having an in-expensive Lithium Battery Jumper is cheap insurance ..... plus, I wouldn't have turned off at the pump when I got gas - I know it's not a good idea, and if there is an Attendant pumping the Gas it won't be allowed, but the last time I saw an attendant was last year in New Jersey ..... just my thoughts .....good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Went to see the Skin Doctor yesterday. A lifetime of working and playing outdoors leaves it's mark on the the very fair skinned. I took the Spyder as it was a beautiful ride from Spring City to Provo. Afterwards I went for lunch and the Spyder battery died. I did a little praying and got it started and headed for home. I had to stop for gas and hoped it had one more start in it. It didn't. Stuck in Spanish Fork at the Walmart gas station. I called NAPA. Yes, they had the battery (miracle) No, they wouldn't deliver. Called my friend Gail Paxton. Yes, he was home, yes, he could help (miracle). Spent 3 hours changing out the battery (miracle that I could figure out how!) Put everything back together; only had one extra screw that I had left out on purpose; and the Spyder started right up (miracle). Drove home about 60 miles in the dark through the canyons and didn't see a single critter (miracle) and arrived safely home by 9:45.pm. Thank God for all the wonderful blessings on this afternoon/night when so much more could have gone wrong. There were several people (strangers) who came over to check on me and one who even offered a garage and a bed if I needed them; JT the Walmart clerk at the gas station who brought me a drink; and of course my friend, riding buddy, and fellow TRA member Gail, without whom I could not have done this. I also always felt that my Savior was nearby. At 77 I realize more and more the presence of Jesus in every part of my life, and I am grateful for both that realization and that presence. So thank you to all who helped.
    The Lord does work in mysterious ways sometimes. I will not try to steal your thunder here. We have had a similar October. We have been trying to sell the Spyders on and off since February. Sold both Spyders during the "off" season to two very happy people. We all got what we felt were fair deals. We also felt led to check out a new car. First dealer offered us low blue book for our trade (which we would not accept). Second dealer offered us $3K more than high blue book. We took the money and ran. Got a new 2024 for under $10K. We also have been praising the Lord for His blessings to us.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-20-2023 at 06:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

To all who suggested a jumper pack thank you, but I actually already have one. When I changed the belt, I had taken my tool pack out of the trunk and was too tired to put everything back in and reload the trunk, thus I was totally without any tools. Thankfully Gail had what I needed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-20-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I had a situation last Thursday night. My wife and I went on a dinner ride with another couple. When I arrived home I came in at a different angle than usual and had to reverse and get straight so I could get in garage. Everything was great until I tried to shift to first but after fiddling with it awhile it finally went into first and I drove into garage. After wife got off I was going to back out of the garage and road test the bike. Well it is stuck in reverse and will not move. I told my wife that instead of getting upset I am just thanking Jesus that we made it home instead of being stranded out in the middle of nowhere. I am 76 years old myself and I try to be thankful even in bad situations.

Spyder Garage

Glas it all worked out for you, Paul. Going for a ryde today and I'll now take the jump starter with me for sure.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Glas it all worked out for you, Paul. Going for a ryde today and I'll now take the jump starter with me for sure.
    Lew L
    Yes, it’s a nice easy Insurance, Lew.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red