Spyder Garage

Question Anyone know how to add a strobe/flasher to RT Brake Lights?

Anyone know how to add a strobe or flash element to the brake lights on my 2023 RT?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-20-2023 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread... & expanded title to briefly state the reason for the thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I use a Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher (I not recall where I purchased it)
    I have had it for quite a while and like it.

One issue is that if you ride with a group then you might want to a pattern that might not irritate fellow riders.
    Unless you are the sweep!!!

I found my document. I bought mine from https://www.customdynamics.com/unive...-light-flasher, back in 2015. I see that the price decreased from $79.95 to $59.95.
    Last edited by seaweed; 10-20-2023 at 11:03 AM.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

The custom dynamics page referenced claims that flasher doesn't work with CanBus. I thought the Spyder was a CanBus. Are you using it on a Spyder?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Custom Dynamics did have a pattern-selectable plug and play brake flasher that I purchased in May '18 and really works great. In response to a question like the one from the OP about a year after my purchase, I looked at the CD website and could not find the Spyder flashing system so I called the company and was told they ceased offering it because it was being far outsold by the plug and play third brake light that RT owners could put the on the trunk lid. The price on the Sling Mods device is about half what I paid for the CD flasher but the SM device is just a straight flasher that is not pattern-selectable.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The custom dynamics page referenced claims that flasher doesn't work with CanBus. I thought the Spyder was a CanBus. Are you using it on a Spyder?
    Back in 2015 there was no disclaimer on their web site. Yes I put it on my 2015 RTS6. No problems with it interfering with CamBus.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Agree with JayBros. We have these on our cycle and they work fine.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The lighting system on the Spyder is not CanBus, only the various processors like TCM, ECM, cluster, etc.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The lighting system on the Spyder is not CanBus, only the various processors like TCM, ECM, cluster, etc.
    Now, that's good information to have right there! Thanks.

I, too, have the Slingmods brake flasher and like it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2023 at 04:37 AM.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Here is what I use on my '22. Works a treat. Very simple install. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I installed one of these but only for the trunk, I left the others stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Alert-Fa...21&sr=8-3&th=1
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I installed one of these but only for the trunk, I left the others stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Alert-Fa...21&sr=8-3&th=1
    I've been wanting to do this.. Do You have a picture or instructions of the way you wired it up? Thanks in advance!
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiderDuke View Post
    I've been wanting to do this.. Do You have a picture or instructions of the way you wired it up? Thanks in advance!
    No picture but, I removed the brake light from the trunk and with a voltage tester found the "hot" wire for the brake light when the brake pedal was applied. I cut the "hot" wire into here, I hooked the "hot" in from the switch here and the "hot" out the to brake light. I did run a ground wire from a known good ground under the passenger seat, I fitted a connector onto it where the wire harness connector is, at the front of the trunk so that it could be unplugged if I removed the trunk, then I ran it to the ground terminals of the switch (one on each side of the flasher) then on to the light. I added the ground wire as others had reported issues with the switch without doing this.

There is room for the flasher to be left at the brake light, I attached it with velcro. Once everything is installed it is completely out of sight. I made up a diagram of what I did to mine.
    Flasher.jpg

EDIT: Instead of removing the brake light, you remove the lower trunk latch and just unplug the brake light.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 10-22-2023 at 01:36 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    No picture but, I removed the brake light from the trunk and with a voltage tester found the "hot" wire for the brake light when the brake pedal was applied. I cut the "hot" wire into here, I hooked the "hot" in from the switch here and the "hot" out the to brake light. I did run a ground wire from a known good ground under the passenger seat, I fitted a connector onto it where the wire harness connector is, at the front of the trunk so that it could be unplugged if I removed the trunk, then I ran it to the ground terminals of the switch (one on each side of the flasher) then on to the light. I added the ground wire as others had reported issues with the switch without doing this.

There is room for the flasher to be left at the brake light, I attached it with velcro. Once everything is installed it is completely out of sight. I made up a diagram of what I did to mine.
    Flasher.jpg

EDIT: Instead of removing the brake light, you remove the lower trunk latch and just unplug the brake light.
    Thanks for the help....
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T