Spyder Garage

Default What should I be doing for maintenance on my '16 RTL?

I have decided to try and find my issue with poor fuel mileage and lack of power. Bike hasn't run well since I bought it. It is a '16 RTL that had 2500 miles on it, so it set a lot. I have torn into it, changed plugs, cleaned injectors, and checked fuel lines. Two of the plugs weren't firing good, one I don't think was firing at all. Going to ultrasonic clean the injectors. What else should I check out before putting it back together? There are no rat nests in the air cleaner and all the wiring looks good. Do the coil packs give any trouble on these bikes? Thanks.
    Last edited by helton61; 10-19-2023 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Get the BUDs program and use it help diagnose your machine. Otherwise you're shooting in the fog.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I don't know if those coil packs on the 1330's have a replacement wire inside like some car coils with the coil packs where you take the little spring inside that makes contact with the plug on one end and hook into the pack on the other end, if they do I would change that when you change the plugs.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"What should I be doing for maintenance on my '16 RTL?"

Everything called for in the manual.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tell us more about the history of this vehicle.

Perform the usual inspection/correction poorly maintained vehicles:

(1) degraded fuel residue in fuel flow path from fuel pump to fuel pressure regulator (both in the fuel tank).
    (2) degraded pressure and vacuum hoses (the inside of fuel line can separate from the braid and block flow).
    (3) degraded fuel residue in the throttle body (the Spyder is throttle-by-wire).

You have two problems: misfire and performance.

You must fix the misfire first. Until the engine is running smoothly on all three cylinders, you're pretty much wasting your time tracking down the performance problem. Of course fixing misfire may also fix performance but sequence is important.

If you change spark plugs you must use BajaRon's kit. Anything else is inadequate. Follow instructions. It's unlikely the coil packs have failed.

If you don't immediately change ALL fluids and install a new fully-charged battery you will be facing expensive problems in the future. Your tires are dangerously old -- replace them. Do not use a pressure washer to clean your Spyder unless you enjoy chasing electrical gremlins.

And I concur with Idaho.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Tell us more about the history of this vehicle.

Perform the usual inspection/correction poorly maintained vehicles:

(1) degraded fuel residue in fuel flow path from fuel pump to fuel pressure regulator (both in the fuel tank).
    (2) degraded pressure and vacuum hoses (the inside of fuel line can separate from the braid and block flow).
    (3) degraded fuel residue in the throttle body (the Spyder is throttle-by-wire).

You have two problems: misfire and performance.

You must fix the misfire first. Until the engine is running smoothly on all three cylinders, you're pretty much wasting your time tracking down the performance problem. Of course fixing misfire may also fix performance but sequence is important.

If you change spark plugs you must use BajaRon's kit. Anything else is inadequate. Follow instructions. It's unlikely the coil packs have failed.

If you don't immediately change ALL fluids and install a new fully-charged battery you will be facing expensive problems in the future. Your tires are dangerously old -- replace them. Do not use a pressure washer to clean your Spyder unless you enjoy chasing electrical gremlins.

And I concur with Idaho.
    I bought BajaRon's kit. Battery and tires have been changed. I don't think it had anything done until I got it. It had 2500 miles. I changed fuel filter lines looked ok. Put 3 cans of fuel injector cleaner through it. It started running some better but not great. I pulled the plugs 1 was good the other 2 not so good wet.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-25-2023 at 05:27 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see you were comfortable changing the fuel filter. Can you check fuel pressure? Tap into the return line that comes out of the Y fitting in front of the fuel filter. Should be at least 40psi.

Another source of misfire is uncooperative sensors. Camshaft position, crankshaft position, manifold atmospheric pressure.

Is the misfiring occurring at idle or only when you open the throttle?

Do you know anything about the previous rider? And where/how was it stored?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I review your symptoms, I keep coming back to fuel: too little, too much, wrong time.

Too little: fuel pump clogged, fuel pressure regulator stuck open, fuel injectors clogged, TPS sensor

Too much: fuel pressure regulator stuck closed, fuel injectors stuck open, TPS sensor

Wrong time: camshaft position sensor is popular

Gotta go, beer cat time

Spyder Garage

Non fuel related but if has sat long time or not: brake fluid & coolant flush every 2yr

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Spark plugs were the problem. It sounds like a different machine. Two plugs were bad, haven't taken it for a ride yet, but I started it, and it runs good!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-24-2023 at 04:24 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

helton61 -- thanks for reporting the misfire cause and correction. I was not expecting spark plugs, certainly at 2500 miles, as the chemical degradation of gasoline was the most likely cause. If you still have the old plugs, would you please post pictures. Thanks. Now off to research how spark plugs degrade over time.

PS I think you will still be moving on to performance.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 10-25-2023 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added PS

Spyder Garage

helton61 -- thanks for reporting the misfire cause and correction. I was not expecting spark plugs, certainly at 2500 miles, as the chemical degradation of gasoline was the most likely cause. If you still have the old plugs, would you please post pictures. Thanks. Now off to research how spark plugs degrade over time.

PS I think you will still be moving on to performance.
    Sorry, but I threw the old plugs into the trash yesterday. I looked them over and you really couldn't tell they were bad just by looking; two were wet when I took them out, one was dry. I think it was bad gas and sitting too much.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for info. Yeah with wet plugs I probably couldn't read much. Any yet ... now that your misfire is fixed ... I think we're going to be discussing fueling issues to get your full performance back.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for info. Yeah with wet plugs I probably couldn't read much. Any yet ... now that your misfire is fixed ... I think we're going to be discussing fueling issues to get your full performance back.
    Went for a 100-mile ride today, runs great and fuel mileage is a lot better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXKcv_pqvZg BLR tuning.

I had this tuner since March, didn't make difference... but with two plugs bad, how could it? After the plug change I put the tune Bill sent me on. The bike runs great now.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-27-2023 at 05:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the posts i think i have got it running good.