Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I am definitely interested in hearing your journey. Many Thanks !!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Calimusjohn View Post
    I'm an 84-year-old ADV relic and just completed a 9,391-mile ride on my 2022 Sea to Sky that touched all 48 states. If readers are curious, I will submit a day-to-day ride report. I cover routes, weather, costs, and observations. Is anyone interested?
    John
    I'm keeping up with, and enjoying, your posts and want to tell you that you're an inspiration to me. I'm 80, and you make me think there are a few more years of keeping my "knees in the breeze". Oh, and I like your style of succinct, efficient writing. jb
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you so much for doing this. I am a bit younger (57), but I am planning a similar trip that should take 6-8 weeks. My goal is to do this before age 60. As of right now I am looking at doing this in 2025. I will definitely be tagging along on your ride and ride report. Thanks again.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Garland417 & Bamajohn,
    Thanks for the feedback. I can see that folks have peeked at this thread, but wasn't sure anyone cared for its content.
    With that out of the way, here is another episode of "Spyder Tour."

SPYDER TOUR
    Day 6
    No fog! 59 to 80 degrees, sunny day.
    The motel clerk in Elyria, Ohio, promised they had a great internet connection. I’m sure they do – when it operates. At least the TV had more than one channel. The motel offered yogurt and a bagel for breakfast.
    Forests disappeared as I crossed Ohio from east to west. Agricultural fields or huge industrial complexes replaced the trees.
    I deviated from the Ohio Turnpike and snuck into Michigan. Six miles later, the town of Sturgis appeared. It’s unlike Sturgis, South Dakota. No 600,000 motorcyclists jammed the streets. Women wore clothing. T-shirt hucksters hid their products inside stores. Police officers smiled as I rode by.
    Indiana greeted me with bands of trees and large fields of corn. If you dislike large motorhomes driven by old geezers lacking driving skills, blame Elkhart, Indiana. Thousands of motorhomes are built there.
    I can now say with complete accuracy that, “When I was younger, I studied at Notre Dame in South Bend.” I’ll leave out the part where I sat in a parking lot and studied a roadmap, plotting my next course of action.
    At noon, I arrived at my cousin’s home in Valparaiso, Indiana. I’d called ahead. No one was home. Doors locked. Shades drawn. They’d escaped. I peed on a backyard tree.
    My relatives returned as I studied their home’s security system. They let me in and assigned a bedroom for my exclusive use. Bruce said, “You can stay as long as you like.” I changed my mailing address. It’s fall. Winter is coming. Free is good!
    Expenses:
    Breakfast: $ 8.14 Supplemental Subway sandwich to the motel’s yogurt.
    Lunch: $ 0.00 Bruce (cousin) treated me to a free lunch.
    Dinner: $ 0.00 Brent (cousin) bought pizza and huge salad.
    Misc: $ 17.80 Toll Road fees.
    Gas: $ 40.58
    Motel: $ 0.00
    Day’s total: $ 66.02 Trip Total: $1,084.64
    Day’s miles: 260 Trip Total: 1,305
    Completed SCMC Four Corners Tour
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000
    Unicycled at South Pole, Antarctica
    Coldfoot, Alaska, to Cabo San Lucas
    4,000 mile Mexican tour to Yucatan Peninsula

Spyder Garage

Blacklightning,
    Hi, you snuck in a comment while I was typing! Planning ahead is good, but don't let the trip slip away while planning. Time passes too quickly.
    I planned on participating in the 2022 Tennessee River 600 tour. I missed the deadline for signing up and had to wait until 2023. For anyone that likes riding jetskis, I highly recommend the TN600. The tour has a website that gives all the information.
    (Tennesseeriver600.com)
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000

Spyder Garage

I really like your writting style. Thank you so much for putting this together. When we are done here I think I would like to read about a 600 mile Jetski trip.If you feel so inclined.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

SPYDER TOUR
    Day 7
    A day of rest.
    The family attended church services.
    I brought my records up to date and studied maps to determine the best route.

Expenses:
    Day’s total: $ 0.00 Trip Total: $1,084.64
    Day’s miles: 0 Trip Total: 1,305
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000

Spyder Garage

SPYDER TOUR
    Day 8
    Morning led to a reluctant departure from my cousin’s home, its camaraderie and (chuckle) free amenities.
    Five miles after leaving, it began to rain. Nickle-sized blobs of water splatted me for five miles. Then the sun popped out from behind the clouds. I unclenched my teeth. Three piddling sprinkles pitter-patted me during the day.
    Transiting the Chicago urban area has always been difficult. Today was different. Heavy traffic moved quickly. No crazies created chaos in their wake. No drivers weaved around cars and semi-trucks attempting to reach a crash-site faster than anyone else. A pleasant ride was a pleasant surprise.
    Rural northwestern Illinois holds a series of rolling hills, mile-square corn fields, and large farmhouses. Areas seen from strategic lookout spots deserve photographs to be placed on expensive calendars or shared on 1,000-piece picture puzzles.
    Note: Illinois toll roads have no attendants at toll booths. No instructions are posted on where to acquire an EZ Pass, or how to “Pay Online.”
    At the Iowa state line, there is no toll booth. Apparently, if you don’t exit the toll road in Illinois, a driver need not pay. It’s weird. I found myself in mid-Iowa, free. Free at last.
    Expenses:
    Breakfast: $ 0.00
    Lunch: $ 11.19 Atlantic cod sandwich at Culver’s.
    Dinner: $ 16.71 Pasta
    Misc: $ 1.70 Indiana toll road fee.
    Gas: $ 35.05
    Motel: $ 84.67
    Day’s Total: $149.31 Trip Total: $1,233.95
    Day’s miles: 230 Trip Total: 1,535
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000

Spyder Garage

Pegasus1300,
    I just started a thread in "Off Topic" - Titled: "I did the 2023 Tennessee River 600 Jetski Tour!" It will tell my version of the ride. The ride is a hoot.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...00-Jetski-Tour!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2023 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added link... ;-)
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000

Spyder Garage

Great read!! Excellent writing. The math, though, not so much. Methinks your miles after day 8 should be 2,445 ...

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

SPYDER TOUR
    Day 9
    The motel clerk informed me that I was in Dyersville, Iowa. It’s always nice to learn where I’ve slept. The day’s ride consisted of rain, fog, rain, fog, more rain, and cold winds. It was not the greatest of conditions.
    I visited the Spam Museum in Austin. Checked it off the Bucket List.
    And THEN!
    I approached Minneapolis at 70 mph in lane two of six. Traffic in lanes five and six had stopped awaiting clearance to exit. A black car passed me on the left traveling at 85 mph. A white car passed me on the right at 85 mph. The two drivers decided to switch into lane number two―simultaneously.
    They slammed into one another 100 feet in front of me. I started maximum braking.
    The black car ricocheted and spun left into the highway’s cement divider wall. The rear bumper assembly, a fender and the rear window broke loose and scattered across the roadway. The car continued to spin in the safety lane, lane number one, and finally stopped in lane two.
    The white car bounced and spun into the line of cars stopped in lane five, continued to spin and crash into five vehicles before coming to a stop lying on its side in lane three. Automobile parts flew everywhere. Cars struck in lane five slid sideways into other vehicles in lane six.
    Meanwhile, I zigzagged through the debris field. I avoided striking anything. I can’t imagine a more exciting ten seconds.
    I escaped Minneapolis and stopped in St. Cloud, Minnesota.
    Expenses:
    Breakfast: $ 5.02
    Lunch: $ 17.97
    Dinner: $ 28.08
    Misc: $ 0.00
    Gas: $ 56.40
    Motel: $118.00
    Day’s Cost: $225.47 Trip Total: $1,459.42
    Day’s miles: 380 Trip Total: 1,915
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000

Spyder Garage

Enjoying this read.
    Crikey...two drivers decided to switch into lane number two―simultaneously. ....
    Ye Ha! Talk about yum yum..whew moments. Onya.

Spyder Garage

SPYDER TOUR
    Day 9
    Meanwhile, I zigzagged through the debris field. I avoided striking anything. I can’t imagine a more exciting ten seconds.
    That's where front and rear dash cams are worth way more than you pay for them. Nice job navigating the debris field.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Please keep posting. I am savoring every word as I haven't even been on a Spyder yet. I am looking forward to taking the safety class in December before we purchase one and start our next adventures.

Spyder Garage

After that incident, I would think that one of the expenses for Day 9 would be for clean shorts!
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

SPYDER TOUR
    Day 9
    The motel clerk informed me that I was in Dyersville, Iowa. It’s always nice to learn where I’ve slept. The day’s ride consisted of rain, fog, rain, fog, more rain, and cold winds. It was not the greatest of conditions.
    I visited the Spam Museum in Austin. Checked it off the Bucket List.
    And THEN!
    I approached Minneapolis at 70 mph in lane two of six. Traffic in lanes five and six had stopped awaiting clearance to exit. A black car passed me on the left traveling at 85 mph. A white car passed me on the right at 85 mph. The two drivers decided to switch into lane number two―simultaneously.
    They slammed into one another 100 feet in front of me. I started maximum braking.
    The black car ricocheted and spun left into the highway’s cement divider wall. The rear bumper assembly, a fender and the rear window broke loose and scattered across the roadway. The car continued to spin in the safety lane, lane number one, and finally stopped in lane two.
    The white car bounced and spun into the line of cars stopped in lane five, continued to spin and crash into five vehicles before coming to a stop lying on its side in lane three. Automobile parts flew everywhere. Cars struck in lane five slid sideways into other vehicles in lane six.
    I escaped Minneapolis and stopped in St. Cloud, Minnesota.
    Expenses:
    Breakfast: $ 5.02
    Lunch: $ 17.97
    Dinner: $ 28.08
    Gas: $ 56.40
    Motel: $118.00
    Day’s Cost: $225.47 Trip Total: $1,459.42
    Day’s miles: 380 Trip Total: 1,915
    Holy Cow Batman! Glad you made it unscathed....physically!
    John B.

Spyder Garage

Day number 9 seems to be the most exciting so far. Glad you made it out unharmed. This is awesome! Keep it coming.
    PS, if this entire trip is a prank and you are making it all up, please don't tell us, just write a novel and we will buy it. Lol!

Spyder Garage

I assure you that this ride report is as close to the truth as I am capable of. The traffic incident is the closest I've ever come to being killed. Car parts literally flew over my head. I would have gone down on a two-wheeler - wet pavement - hard braking - swerving - ABS and stability systems help but there is a point where physics take over. Okay, enough of the "what-ifs" and concentrating on one single incident. Here is another installment.

SPYDER TOUR
    Day 10
    I began the day in St. Cloud, Minnesota. The thermometer read 64 degrees. Dry. Breezy.
    Western Minnesota looks like the eastern part. Rolling hills with huge shorn fields have lines of trees acting as windbreaks.
    North Dakota struck me as being flat. I know there are hills and valleys, but it’s mostly flat. The air was restless and moved rapidly from one location to another―at right angles to my path westward. I ate lunch in Fargo.
    I turned southbound and discovered South Dakota. It looks like North Dakota but has more hills. Sunflowers filled fields larger than huge. The fields stretch from horizon to horizon. Gas stations are not found on every corner. Stretches of highway without cell coverage, no houses, and no people abound.
    The wind in Minnesota was stiff. It grew from irritating and mean to downright brutal in the Dakotas. A crosswind of 25 - 30 mph gusting to 50 mph requires constant adjustment to the handlebars. When an 18-wheeler passes in the other direction, the bike shudders and bounces sideways. At day’s end, in Mobridge, South Dakota, my arms are noodles.
    Expenses:
    Breakfast: $ 0.00 Motel waffle and yogurt
    Lunch: $ 11.50 Apple pie, ice cream, coffee
    Dinner: $ 25.00 Chicken fried steak.
    Gas: $ 57.55
    Motel: $ 81.75
    Day’s Cost: $175.80 Trip Total: $1,716.97
    Day’s miles: 457 Trip Total: 3,372
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000

Spyder Garage

SPYDER TOUR
    Day 11
    The motel in Mobridge, South Dakota, had the greatest shower. It pulsed hot water at about 50 psi. The water massage eased aching muscles.
    A police officer at a gas station told me where to get the best breakfast. He was correct.
    The road west rolled past fields of sunflowers, hay, and thousands of cattle. Mother Nature had a bag of wind left over from yesterday. She loosened the drawstring, and the angry contents came out fighting. Trucks, autos, and my motorcycle weaved in our traffic lanes as we battled the blustery wind.
    At the Wyoming state line, the wind gave up the battle. Calm prevailed. I-90 allows speeds of eighty mph. At 80, I skirted the town of Sundance. The terrain has the appearance of a golf course for giants. Sand bunkers and water ponds as hazards nestle in verdant valleys abutted by miniature mountains covered by fir trees. Dogleg canyons might lead to hidden greens.
    A few miles later, the trees thinned, and antelopes pranced across grass-covered hillsides. Oil well arms saluted as I passed. Hills became foothills as snow-capped mountains came into view.
    A side note about yesterday: My dad always watched The Lawrence Welk Show on TV. In his honor, I uttered, “A one anna two.” as I passed Larry’s birthplace.
    A note about Iowa: It’s no wonder that Iowans love politicians and their rhetoric. Most of the time they are surrounded by corn, corn, and more corn. Listening to the corn grow gets boring.
    Expenses:
    Breakfast: $ 15.00 Ham, eggs, hash browns, toast, coffee
    Lunch: $ 0.00 Skipped it
    Dinner: $ 22.00 Cod & French fries - - - again
    Gas: $ 68.25
    Motel: $101.00
    Day’s Cost: $206.25 Trip Total: $1,923.22
    Day’s miles: 420 Trip Total: 3,792
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000

Spyder Garage

Yeah .. I can vouch for the South Dakota winds. With Sturgis being an annual event for me, traveling almost the full I90 length at 80mph can be quite challenging, especially west of Chamberlain.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

+1 on the corn comment......

still loving your narratives!
    John B.

Spyder Garage

Here I thought I was the only one that stopped at the Spam museum. Will vouch for the wind in South Dakota, last time there winds were gusting to 50+ and were cross winds . Not fun riding in.

Spyder Garage

Wonderful write up! Keep it coming. I do have one question (I might have missed the comment earlier). For the hotels, did you have reservations in advance, or did you just make a seat of the pants decision on where to stop and found a hotel in that town? That is the one things I would be concerned about.

Spyder Garage

In all my bike travels and you can tell by my traveled state maps, I did not have reservations but when I rode to Northern Canada, Alaska, and Newfoundland due to little lodging availability. One can find a suitable place to stay especially if you get in by early evening. Gets a little hairy when certain events are going on in the area that you are traveling and in a remote area than a larger city.

Spyder Garage

Enjoying the read … looking forward to day 12 and beyond from here.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue