Spyder Garage

Default Is there a Warranty Transfer Fee?

A question came up in a discussion the other day about whether or not BRP charges a fee to transfer a warranty from one owner to the next. Some said only if it's an extended warranty, others said it makes no difference. What's the consensus here?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-18-2023 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

In both skidoo and can -am (SXS and wheelers) both are directly transferable ( factory and BEST) most factory are 2 years and BEST can be done up to 5 years total ( 2+3). BEST can only be purchased 1 time. It travels with the vin number so if new owner goes to a different dealer all that dealer does is pull up the vin number and the computer will say when it ends. The owner is not registered with the vin the actual machine is registered with the vin. I have not tried with spyder but know sleds and SXS are done this way for sure. Have done it and sold it several times. There is no fee for transfer. The machine is the transfer not the person.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 10-18-2023 at 09:04 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Here are 2 specific examples. I sold a 2019 skidoo freeride. The skidoo had 2 years factory warranty and also had the 3 year BEST. I sold the sled in 2021 before the factory warranty ended. The new owner needed warranty work done last season and he lives in Wisconsin. He simply took the skidoo freeride to his dealer and the dealer said he had warranty till December of 2024 under the BEST that i had purchased originally. Here is another example. I purchased a SXS demo version maverick from a guy in NY that couldn’t make payments in 2019 when covid hit. I needed work done on it. I took it to the dealer and he pulled up the warranty. I still had 3 months of factory warranty on it. I purchased BEST for and extended 3 years for it. I was not the original owner but since BEST was never purchased on that machine and vin I was able to. I sold a 2015 mountain sled skidoo that also had BEST left on it and the next owner was able to use it.

Spyder Garage

That's what I thought. I was pretty sure the warranty was connected to the vehicle and not the person. The question came up when someone in my group mentioned they had seen a For Sale item on a Spyder and the seller was asking for a forty dollar warranty transfer fee. I took the position the seller was just trying to recoup some money spent on the extended warranty but they would have been better served to just roll that extra cost into the over all sale price rather then make it a separate fee.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

In the skidoo realm it is not uncommon for a person to raise the price or sell the sled at a higher price because of the 3 extra years to recoop the cost and or use it as a selling point. Our price for the spyder 3 year BEST is half the cost of sleds and SXS BEST if bought at Imotorsports. I’ll be honest, most guys will add $500 more to the expected cost and let the buyer knock them back down a bit and still get what they originally wanted if the BEST is active especially on mountain sleds and Freerides. These sled types get beat up quite a bit. Thats what they are made for! I agree with you gkamer. They should have just included in overall selling price not making it sound like a dishonest fee. I find that all the times on facebook marketplace and laugh. There’s all kinds of tactics they try to get a buck. Shop wisely and research before buying anything. Now this only deal with factory and BEST. If the previous owner bought a different extended warranty, dealer warranty or something different than BEST, that might be different. There might be a fee but that company would have to deal with that. BEST and factory go with the vin numbers.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 10-18-2023 at 10:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have not heard of anyone having to pay a warranty "transfer fee" from BRP on the BEST warranty.

They did something right on this one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

OK, I got some clarification on this. Seems this extended warrant is from a third party outfit so I guess it makes sense they would charge a transfer fee.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired