Spyder Garage

Default My Handlebars are slightly turned to the right. Any easy fixes?

Good morning.
    A few weeks ago, a fellow rider told me that I had a strange position in my F3. I was curious and have discovered that the handlebars are slightly turned to the right when I ride straight forward. The Spyder does not force towards that side, and everything seems fine except for that detail. I have not had any crashes, nor do I drive on bumpy roads regularly.
    I changed the top part of the handlebar support for one from Lamonster. Could it be that during assembly and disassembly it moved? Is there an easy way to put it in place?
    Thanks for your comments.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question; +... ;-)
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They haven't been centered when the wheel alignment was done. When you go for you next alignment flag it with the dealer.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I have had this same issue on 2 recent F3T's (2017 & 2016). Both had handlebars that were tilted with the right side down...
    On both bikes the tilt became evident when I installed a 1" handlebar riser. The fix is to align the bike again, and center the bars while paying special attention to adjusting the tie rods during toe-in.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 11:16 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I've pending the 30.000 km revision and i'll say to the dealer. Thank you very much.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

double check your work on the handle bars

Spyder Garage

My bars are the same way. I agree that the dealer didn't do the best job when they aligned the bike during prep. Or maybe they didn't align the bike. Either way, I'll get it taken care of next season when I go for my inspection. It's more of an OCD thing with me.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you all. I will check the handlebar assembly before the review.
    I also thought it was OCD until my friend told me my position on the spyder was strange.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Hello!
    Thank you Fatboy, your advice reminded me that it is always better to start checking what is easy because experience tells us that in a very high percentage of cases the problem is there.
    I removed the screws from the piece that holds the handlebar with the #7 Allen key and reached the plate integral with the steering axis with the pivot so that the handlebar cannot go up or down too much. I saw that I couldn't do anything there and I started putting it back together assuming that the mechanic would have to align the steering.
    When mounting the base of the handlebar on the axle plate, I noticed a certain amount of play and I took great care to place the piece parallel to the plastic trim cause I had previously left the bike upright with the handlebars tilted. I tightened the bolts to 28 newtons with the dynamometer and went out to test and hallelujah! The handlebars are straight!
    The fault was mine because when I assembled the Lamonster GPS support I did not see that small detail. It is a difference in the base of 1 or 2 mm that when taken to the end of the handlebar becomes 1 or 1.5 cm
    Thanks everyone for your help.

pd. I have already told my colleagues that from now they see me with a strange position on the Spyder, it is not a problem with the Spyder, it is me who is “poorly finished or with manufacturing defects.”
    Last edited by mcalva; 10-21-2023 at 01:07 PM.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having read through the thread, your fix was going to be my recommendation (as I had just completed the same on our F3-L preparing it for sale). When the wheels are aligned, laser or otherwise, everyone that I know uses the handlebars for reference of center. Disassemble/reassemble the handlebars on the steering shaft could, and likely does, cause the "center" to change even though the wheel alignment hasn't been altered. Well done!
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

So, the fix is to see if the top plate that holds the bars down is out of line? My issue is the top plate is off to the right a bit, which I'm sure is also making the bars align to the right. But it all starts with the top plate no long parallel to the gauges. I'm not sure I have that much play to be able to make the adjustment to fix the issue. I'm sure it was right before I swapped out bars but not sure where the problem lies to fix it.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue