Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    My blind spot detector sits on top of my shoulders. It works together with my forward visual detector to make sure I'm keeping a safe distance from upcoming obstacles. It has the unique ability to keep me safe and out of danger if I pay attention and follow its recommendations.
    Some of us have very limited neck movement and cannot look over the shoulder so easily. I use a 2 inch round blind spot mirror stuck to the upper outside corner of each mirror. Not sure if I would trust a proximity detector.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    Some of us have very limited neck movement and cannot look over the shoulder so easily. I use a 2 inch round blind spot mirror stuck to the upper outside corner of each mirror. Not sure if I would trust a proximity detector.
    I have done the same thing, but I added my BSM's to the bottom inside corner of each regular mirror and then angled them wide.... I find this gives me great ability to scan both near and far at a glance, although I am still able to turn my head for passing etc. I try to scan behind me every 10 seconds or so on the highway given how fast people fly up behind me!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

You can easily cover the blind spot on a trike A LOT easier than if you were driving a car.
    I have a 2020 Ford Transit Connect with a visibility range similar to most passenger vehicles. My 2014 RT-S with TricLED Wide-Vu BSMs has better side blind spot range but worse rear blind spot range than the TC.

Again, BSDs are for CUEing not for SEEing.

Later this month I will be installing the already-delivered Innovv ThirdEYE on the TC and, when I receive it, the newly-discovered OYI MT-04 on the RT-S.

Let me explain.

The TC has the usual short-range ultrasonic-based BLIS sensors on the rear bumper with indicators on the outside mirrors. The ThirdEYE provides an extended range (150+ feet) 77GHz radar sensor on the rear liftgate with indicators directly in front of me on the dashboard. Originally I hadn't planned on a supplemental BSD for the TC but the ThirdEYE was already delivered so I'm kinda making lemonade.

The MT-04 on the RT-S provides an extended range (150+ feet) 77GHZ radar sensor on the license plate bracket with indicators directly in front of me on the dashboard.

The ThirdEYE has an ambiguity when concurrent left and right lane LCA steadily illuminates both indicators as does RCW. In the TC a quick glance (0.25 seconds) at the central inside mirror disambiguates the RCW alert from the concurrent LCA alerts.

The MT-04 does not have this ambiguity. An RCW alert is flashing indicators while concurrent LCA alerts are steady indicators (RCW takes precedence). Seeing behind me requires shifting my body as well as my eyes to assess if there is a dangerous (less than 3 seconds time-to-collision) vehicle approaching in my lane. In heavy traffic situations this shifting is a significant time and attention commitment (about 0.5 seconds). The RCW alert cues me to make this commitment, especially since it provides a more accurate TTC than I could calculate in real-time.

For this reason I recommend the MT-04 over the ThirdEYE and a BSD on your Spyder for CUEing rather than no BSD even though I haven't installed either of them.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Blind spot mirror

This is by far the very best mirror on the world market

SAENG #1.jpg Goldwing Saeng.jpg

Motorcycledave LOGO #1.jpg

Spyder Garage

I check my mirrors first then turn my head to confirm.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

A lot to digest in this thread. I always (and I mean ALWAYS) do this sequence when changing lanes on my Motorcycle:

*Blinker on
    *Mirror check
    *Head check

I'm also getting older, can no longer turn my head as far as I use to, I wear full gear that can limit movement and have had a back surgery that limits my flexibility. I am at times apprehensive about missing a vehicle in my blind spot.

Nothing can replace taking responsibility for your own safety, but there is nothing wrong with having some help either. So many new cars have BSD these days, why shouldn't a motorcycle or Trike?

I was not aware of cheaper alternatives to the INNOVV ThirdEYE prior to buying mine. (my delivery is scheduled for this Wednesday ) I still may still pick up the cheaper one from the eBay listing, unless someone knows its junk.

I'll admit I was uneducated on what these are. I thought they were just BSD devices and that was my expectation. If some one is near me in my blind spot - it lights up. I was not thinking of LCA or RCW so my expectation for any device is much less than others. I just want a simple and reliable device.

Its a fine line at times to leverage technology vs. rely on it.

2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    So many new cars have BSD these days, why shouldn't a motorcycle or Trike?
    My van has BSD, but I only notice it when I turn my head to look into my mirror.

When I do that, I might see the icon in the mirror lit up if someone is actually there. I certainly don't rely on the icon, I just happen to notice it on occasion.

Fortunately, it is silent. There have been discussions on the van forums where members are commenting that it should beep when it lights up, but most of the replies say that the constant beeping on the freeway would be even more annoying.

Fortunately, even though I am aging and getting a bit less-agile, I am still able to move my head enough to check my mirrors and even turn far enough to actually verify whether it's safe to change positions. Not sure I would want to monitor another flashing light in front of me, when the same amount of time that it takes to check the light could be spent in a head-turning visual check.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    My van has BSD, but I only notice it when I turn my head to look into my mirror.

When I do that, I might see the icon in the mirror lit up if someone is actually there. I certainly don't rely on the icon, I just happen to notice it on occasion.

Fortunately, it is silent. There have been discussions on the van forums where members are commenting that it should beep when it lights up, but most of the replies say that the constant beeping on the freeway would be even more annoying.

Fortunately, even though I am aging and getting a bit less-agile, I am still able to move my head enough to check my mirrors and even turn far enough to actually verify whether it's safe to change positions. Not sure I would want to monitor another flashing light in front of me, when the same amount of time that it takes to check the light could be spent in a head-turning visual check.

Great points. Seeing the monitor LED when looking at the mirror would be optimal IMO. When looking at the mirror, and not able to see the blind spot, it will trigger you to be more careful when moving on to visual scanning. To me it would just say "better double check".

I agree with the beeping, but would welcome a system that would beep and alert if a collision was possible. I don't own a car with this tech in it but my daughters CRV I believe does. Aside from turning on the mirror icon as cars passed, once it beeped while her turn signal was on warning her to not switch lanes. THAT would be nice integration for a bike and fairly easy to add if the device had the ability to trigger the beep based off a turn signal.
    Last edited by broderp; 12-04-2023 at 12:43 PM.
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    A lot to digest in this thread. I always (and I mean ALWAYS) do this sequence when changing lanes on my Motorcycle:
    *Blinker on
    *Mirror check
    *Head check
    Great!! But I do it in a different order. Very simple and safe, Mirror check, Head check then Blinker on. Whichever way you want but all together is the safest way to stay healthy. Then sometimes I do it all again just to make doubly sure. You can never be too careful.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-04-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This BSD https://www.ebay.com/itm/225722972751 claims to provide the two-stage LCA you want. Steady LCA on approach with beeping when you engage your turn signal for that lane. However the documentation is conflicted about the RCW function. It's complicated but I believe this is the MT-05 which is derived from the automotive version which doesn't have RCW.

Regarding placement of the indicators, while the manufacturers highlight putting on the mirrors a UK ThirdEYE reviewer moved them into his normal field-of-view. Which is exactly what I intend to do.

Again I distinguish between Seeing (blind spot mirrors) and Cueing (blind spot detectors).
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Hi Bert, have you received your MT-04 yet and been able to install it? I am looking forward to your review of this BSD. And how did the installation go?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze