Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Update - Installed three different, new batteries to verify it's not a battery issue.

Same situation exists. Turn ignition on, screen lights up, press mode, depress brake and hit start and --- nothing. No fuel pump coming on, no engine turning whatsoever.

Not sure if it is the left side housing itself where the mode and parking brake buttons are is dead, though the horn works.

All fuses are ok. Almost seems to be a loose or broken wire. Not sure where to proceed from here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

No fuel pump coming on,
    This conflicts with your post #24
    Yes to all three
    the third item being
    (3) is the fuel pump going through its usual priming sequence?
    The fuel pump priming sequence is a fundamental part of the Spyder initialization process (which includes CANBUS actions to determine your specific Spyder configuration eg radio CB etc). Failure to prime the pump means failure to initialize the "computers" in the console, ECM, TCM, VCM, etc.

The good news is the problem might be something simple like a switch failure, wiring damage, fuse open or relay malfunctioning. The bad news is somehow you fried your ECM. I give 50-50 odds for each scenario.

Time to find a friend who can help you troubleshoot your wiring system using a DVOM, needle-style probes and of course a service manual with schematic. Or with a BUDS2 diagnostic system.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Based on my update for further knowledge, I misspoke thinking the fuel pump activated during the start process. It did not.

After trying three different batteries, it was determined that ain't the program. The dealer did a preliminary disgnostic test and it's not the ECM. Whether it's a simple wire damage or fuse issue is yet to be determined.

I checked all of the fuses and they looked fine but did not actually exchange new fuses. What specific fuse and/or relay should I zero in on to replace to check that out?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Repeat my post #9 and report back.

Then read my post #27. In simpler language, your ECM has to be working for the fuel pump to prime and I'm not convinced it is.

WRT swapping relays and fuses, when your wife isn't looking swap them with her F3L.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Was told by the dealership, the problem is the left side handlebar control housing. Ordering the complete housing to be installed next week.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanY View Post
    Was told by the dealership, the problem is the left side handlebar control housing. Ordering the complete housing to be installed next week.
    Thanks for update sorry to hear.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Got the bike back home after 1 month at the dealer. Sat there for 3.5 weeks, diagnosed and fixed in 2 days.

The LH Multifunction Switch housing (Part#710008091) was the ultimate culprit. Fortunately, I had B.E.S.T. Extended Warranty and the part and labor was covered under warranty. I only had to pay the deductible of $50.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Was there anything (warning signs) I should have realized ahead of time this was a possibility? I was lucky in the fact I was only 1.5 hours from my house and was able leave the bike, get my trailer and load the bike that day.

It wouldn't have been pretty for this to happen thousands of miles from the house. No limp mode, it just died.

Spyder Garage

Got the bike back home after 1 month at the dealer. Sat there for 3.5 weeks, diagnosed and fixed in 2 days.

The LH Multifunction Switch housing (Part#710008091) was the ultimate culprit. Fortunately, I had B.E.S.T. Extended Warranty and the part and labor was covered under warranty. I only had to pay the deductible of $50.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Was there anything (warning signs) I should have realized ahead of time this was a possibility? I was lucky in the fact I was only 1.5 hours from my house and was able leave the bike, get my trailer and load the bike that day.

It wouldn't have been pretty for this to happen thousands of miles from the house. No limp mode, it just died.

Yeah Dan, if you do a bit of searching & maybe a lot of reading, there's a HEAP of fairly recent problems like this with that LH Control.... Altho looking back a bit further, it seems the problems may have started to trickle in after the 2014 upgrade, increasing gradually until about 2018/19, then becoming somewhat more common and frustrating!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-15-2023 at 12:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Wow.....that's so reassuring

Spyder Garage

It's man made and you got to roll with the punches even when they hit you in the gut! I some cases I am glad I am riding OLD Iron. It is starting to get hard finding parts, but it still runs down the road well.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

From my 'thorough cursory reading' of the earlier threads, there seems to be few if any advanced warnings of these failures; a LOT of difficulty in diagnosing the problem; quite some difficulty in getting dealers to even consider it as a cause of the problems; further difficulties in getting BRP to recognise that it IS the cause of the range of problems; and then some delays in actually GETTING the Handset in order to fit it up to remedy all the problems!!

But the good news is that few seem to have had any further issues once the LH Control Module is replaced, so it seems that you were quite lucky in being close to home & having a way to get your Spyder to the dealer; and now that you've got the new Handset/Control Module fitted, you've most likely done the hard yards with this particular issue!

Here's Hoping!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!