Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What Forms are needed - Obtaining a Replacement/Lost title?

I purchased a Can Am Trailer from a lady that currently lives in NC. The trailer was registered in California (where she used to live) to her late husband. She has lost the title and therefore must apply for a lost title. I have been having a hard time helping her go about doing this in NC. Does anyone here know what forms must be filled out and possibly a link to those forms? Or if you have a number where someone can be reached that can actually help with this process.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2023 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Call your local DMV. They can guide you in the right direction.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    .... get the best correct info from your DMV, their opinion is the ONLY one that matters .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Contact Calif. DMV and they should be able to supply you with a copy of a lost title. I wish you luck.

Try this.
    https://www.etags.com/title-replacem...SAAEgL0kfD_BwE
    Last edited by 2dogs; 10-13-2023 at 09:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

since it was registered and titled in California you will need to contact them. Also as her husband has passed you may need a probate document that shows her as the legal heir.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I already tried my local DMV. They are pretty much useless. They say that since it was last registered in California, they would have to issue the replacement title. I have contacted some online, but most have a $120-$200 fee, and I am not 100% sure they would be able to get me what we need. I did find some info online from the Ca DMV. I will sit down with the previous owner, the computer, her documents, and give them a call on Tuesday and see exactly what we need to have filled out and try to get it going.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I already tried my local DMV. They are pretty much useless. They say that since it was last registered in California, they would have to issue the replacement title. I have contacted some online, but most have a $120-$200 fee, and I am not 100% sure they would be able to get me what we need. I did find some info online from the Ca DMV. I will sit down with the previous owner, the computer, her documents, and give them a call on Tuesday and see exactly what we need to have filled out and try to get it going.
    Just a suggestion here from my experiences with Calif. DMV. DON'T contact one of the large offices! Call one of the smaller remote out-of-the-way offices that only have a small number of employees. 3 or 4 at the most. I live approximately 30 miles from a large office and it's a circus every time I've been in there. You never deal with the same person twice. Employee turnover is horrendous. Now we travel 50 miles to a small remote office in a very rural area and receive quick, accurate and curious service and it requires only one visit. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

You could always move to South Carolina. A tag is not required for the smaller trailers. It would be a lot less complicated than dealing with California.

Spyder Garage

Not required in Utah either, so come on over.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    You could always move to South Carolina. A tag is not required for the smaller trailers. It would be a lot less complicated than dealing with California.
    I found out that there is no tag required here in NC as well. But I want to get the title just in case I decide to sell the trailer at a later date. Since picking up the trailer, I am really trying to decide exactly how much and how often i would need it. I missed the one oportunity to use it when I went to the spyder rally in Maggie Valley. Wife had the spyder filled to the brim, but I was able to make it work. Just as I was about to hook to the trailer and take it along, my buddy pulled up to ride with us and had his trailer. So there was no need for both of us to pull.
    But, yesterday I did get the paperwork sent in for my title. Had to go through a 3rd party just to assure that I had all the paperwork together and not deal with going back and forth. Should have the title in 2-3 weeks. Thanks everyone for the input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    So there was no need for both of us to pull.
    There's always a need to pull your own trailer.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk