Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New product for a little security - Jump Starter/Air Compressor combo

I took advantage of the Amazon Days and had my daughter order me a jump starter, air compressor combo. It also has a light, strobe light, and charging ports. It is a little larger than I thought, but still not bad (about 9"x6"x5" container). It was about 67% off, costing about $87. Considering my battery is getting about 7 years old in my 2016 F3L, I thought it would be a good idea to have a way to jump start it if needed. The air compressor and light is just a good bonus. I don't want to use it anytime soon, but I am interested in how it works. Supposed to charge it up and then recharge it every 3 months or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Good thing to have, but I'm wondering why you don't just replace a 7 year old battery? If you do have to jump it, once you shut the bike off, you will most likely have to jump it again. If you are on the road, that can become annoying pretty quickly. Batteries are not all that expensive, nor are they hard to install. I got one at Batteries Plus Bulbs for $121.00. Cheap insurance.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Personally, I'd just replace the battery and not worry about it. Who gets 7 years out of a motorcycle battery?
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slhanks004 View Post
    Who gets 7 years out of a motorcycle battery?
    I did.
    If I was going on a long trip, yes I would replace it. And if I am out and it fails to crank, I will be buying a new one as soon as I get home. But as of now, I will not be buying a new battery just because of age. The one in my 2002 ford lightning lasted 11 years. And this is after not using a battery tender on any of them.

Spyder Garage

I have a similar unit for my car and jumper only for Spyder b/c I also have a single unit compressor. Finding someone willing to use jumper cables isn't always easy. This can help you or another rider/driver. Hopefully, you won't need it though
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I took advantage of the Amazon Days and had my daughter order me a jump starter, air compressor combo. It also has a light, strobe light, and charging ports. It is a little larger than I thought, but still not bad (about 9"x6"x5" container). It was about 67% off, costing about $87. Considering my battery is getting about 7 years old in my 2016 F3L, I thought it would be a good idea to have a way to jump start it if needed. The air compressor and light is just a good bonus. I don't want to use it anytime soon, but I am interested in how it works. Supposed to charge it up and then recharge it every 3 months or so.
    Interested got a brand name or link?? TIA

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I did.
    If I was going on a long trip, yes I would replace it. And if I am out and it fails to crank, I will be buying a new one as soon as I get home. But as of now, I will not be buying a new battery just because of age. The one in my 2002 ford lightning lasted 11 years. And this is after not using a battery tender on any of them.
    So, you will spend $87 on a battery jump starter but not pay $120 on a new battery? Makes sense.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Who gets 7yrs out of a battery?
    I just traded in my 11yr old Goldwing with 93k on the clock and it had the original battery in it.
    It will be interesting to see how many years I get out of battery of my new 2022 RTL
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TroubledJuan View Post
    Who gets 7yrs out of a battery?
    I just traded in my 11yr old Goldwing with 93k on the clock and it had the original battery in it.
    It will be interesting to see how many years I get out of battery of my new 2022 RTL
    I used to have to replace the battery on my GW every year, even though I pulled the battery and stored it on a wooden shelf in my basement (hoping that just maybe I’d get a second year out of it). My ‘14 RTS original battery lasted 5 years. Have to wait and see how long the second one lasts.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2023 at 10:37 PM. Reason: lomg ... ;-)

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

There is a lot of factors in the life of a battery, how much you ride, how much you have on the battery that draws power, weather, ect,ect, but for sure in my world the first time it stumbles to start, it's time to go! It happen to me this year, I don't mess around with being stuck beside the road with a dead bike. I keep the connections clean and tight, charged and if it stumbles on start up it out the door it go's. These bikes don't like weak battery's and they will give you a suttle slap on the head to wake up and feed me before it leaves you stranded! But if you have the room for these type of tools in your bike why not have them. Heck, you may be able to help someone like me out there!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Are AGM style batteries available in the Spyder size/format? Just like Diesel trucks, the vibration will cause std batteries to fail fairly quickly.

When I replaced the battery on my 2019 RTL last year during my DESS issues, I did not see any rubber or silicone padding in the area where the battery actually sits. Perhaps if it did have that, it may help. It would be an inexpensive mod too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-14-2023 at 05:03 PM. Reason: RTLAre; 2019When; ... ;-)
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    Are AGM style batteries available in the Spyder size/format? Just like Diesel trucks, the vibration will cause std batteries to fail fairly quickly. ......
    I don't know that you'll even find 'standard wet cell' batteries in the Spyder size/format - certainly here in Oz, pretty much everything in that size/format these days is either an AGM battery or a Lithium battery.

Can you still get wet cell batteries in that style that're that small over there??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I used to have to replace the battery on my GW every year, even though I pulled the battery and stored it on a wooden shelf in my basement (hoping that just maybe I’d get a second year out of it). My ‘14 RTS original battery lasted 5 years. Have to wait and see how long the second one lasts.
    That sounds frustrating. I had a '98 GW for 6 years and only put a new battery in on the 2nd year I had her. After that I had a Harley for 4 years and never replaced the battery. Battery on my Spyder seems strong. Not sure how old it is as I was gifted the trike from my father just before he passed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2023 at 06:38 AM. Reason: form ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I did.
    With all the problems documented on this site regarding a low battery, why would you take a chance on getting stranded, even if you are not on a long trip? I had no problems with my battery on my 2014 RTL but changed it at 6 years old just for peace of mind.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2023 at 11:06 PM. Reason: RTLbut + ... ;-)
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

The OEM Chinese battery that everyone criticizes is 1.5yrs old on my F3 and cranking strong. Weird thing is that its resting voltage always has been 13.2 for around 3 days, then will take weeks to get at 12.8. If I hook the Noco2 maintainer, it can't recognize the battery's status and it just starts charging like crazy and never goes into maintenance mode. I have been thinking about replacing the battery for months but I'm curious about how long it will last. Let's see.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2023 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Backlighting: looks good and you'll find it handy to have with so many features.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I see so many people say that you are "taking a chance" and "spending money on a jump starter, when you could just buy a new battery". I don't think they get the point. This is just an additional bit of security, like having a spare tire in a car. If i have a battery that is doing well, I am not going to change it out just because of age. If it starts slow and is in danger of failure, yes, I will be replacing it. But to spend the funds on a new battery when I don't need to is not in my way of thinking. I have been driving various vehicles for many years and have needed a jump before. Not due to an old battery, but maybe due to other reasons. But having a battery jump and air compressor combo is just that added security blanket that makes me feel better. I could say the same thing about people buying battery maintainers. The best way to maintain a battery is to simply ride the bike. I have 3 maintainers, and never use them. In 17 years of riding a bike, I have never used them. You know why, because I ride!

Spyder Garage

I have kept a jump starter, an air compressor, and an electric jack in every vehicle we have owned for 20 years and have used all three on numerous occasions for our cars and for others as well. The latest versions of jump starters are about the size of a smartphone and work great. Ours also include cellphone chargers and a flashlight. The cordless air pumps also have a flashlight and adapters for inflating balls and air mattresses, boats, etc. which have proven to be handy. I put a scissor jack and a tire repair kit, along with the mini jump starter and compressor into my frunk and augmented my tool kit by including tire plugs and an electrical repair kit. Both the jump starter and compressor work well, but the compressor is considerably slower than a good, corded compressor. But it is easier to use. I get most of my tools on eBay very reasonably after a good long patient search (Jump starter and compressor combo $25 US). I intend to get a mini cordless impact wrench eventually to replace the lug nut wrench and jack crank. I believe it's better to have and not need, than it is to need and not have. I think you made a wise decision. You may not need it for yourself, but you will probably use it for someone somewhere sometime. In the 60s and 70s I usually carried spare bulbs, points, and plugs on my bikes. And in my cars, I usually carried spare starters, alternators, points, and fuel pumps. I had a couple of Chrysler products that often needed those replaced (a 340 Duster and two 440 Dodge Chargers). I once had to connect my windshield washer with gasoline in it to the carburetor to get into town to a parts store (don't do this at home without adult supervision). I twice had to leave my car on the side of the freeway, only to find them stripped when I got back to them with repair parts. This was before cellphones. Now days, I usually carry a gun with me outside town as well (Better safe than sorry). An old man on oxygen stranded on the side of the road is a tempting target for far too many these days. Vast areas in the west outside of population centers don't have cell coverage. And probably never will. Sincerely William
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wtmjr View Post
    I have kept a jump starter, an air compressor, and an electric jack in every vehicle we have owned for 20 years and have used all three on numerous occasions for our cars and for others as well. The latest versions of jump starters are about the size of a smartphone and work great. Ours also include cellphone chargers and a flashlight. The cordless air pumps also have a flashlight and adapters for inflating balls and air mattresses, boats, etc. which have proven to be handy. I put a scissor jack and a tire repair kit, along with the mini jump starter and compressor into my frunk and augmented my tool kit by including tire plugs and an electrical repair kit. Both the jump starter and compressor work well, but the compressor is considerably slower than a good, corded compressor. But it is easier to use. I get most of my tools on eBay very reasonably after a good long patient search (Jump starter and compressor combo $25 US). I intend to get a mini cordless impact wrench eventually to replace the lug nut wrench and jack crank. I believe it's better to have and not need, than it is to need and not have. I think you made a wise decision. You may not need it for yourself, but you will probably use it for someone somewhere sometime. In the 60s and 70s I usually carried spare bulbs, points, and plugs on my bikes. And in my cars, I usually carried spare starters, alternators, points, and fuel pumps. I had a couple of Chrysler products that often needed those replaced (a 340 Duster and two 440 Dodge Chargers). I once had to connect my windshield washer with gasoline in it to the carburetor to get into town to a parts store (don't do this at home without adult supervision). I twice had to leave my car on the side of the freeway, only to find them stripped when I got back to them with repair parts. This was before cellphones. Now days, I usually carry a gun with me outside town as well (Better safe than sorry). An old man on oxygen stranded on the side of the road is a tempting target for far too many these days. Vast areas in the west outside of population centers don't have cell coverage. And probably never will. Sincerely William
    Now you sir, are definitely a man who seems prepared for anything. I try to be ready for the unexpected, but as you said, it is better to have and not need than to not have and be in need. And yes, I have been fortunate enough to have the tools on hand to help those that I travel with who are less prepared. And as they say in church, it is better to give than to receive. I would much rather be able to help someone else who has a misfortune than to have to deal with the stress myself.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I would much rather be able to help someone else who has a misfortune than to have to deal with the stress myself.
    One of the happiest ladies I've ever met was a young woman in a Dollar Tree store parking lot with a dead battery when I pulled in on my Spyder. She had the hood open but hadn't the foggiest idea what to look for and showed me what wouldn't happen when she turned the ignition key. I pulled out the jump pack and the engine fired up immediately. When she asked for my name, I told her my name wasn't important, just remember, I'm a Marine. She replied, "Oh, I was in the Navy; I know Marines!"
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 06:02 PM. Reason: .
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Semper Fi. And my God bless all you good Samaritans. We should all be thankful for people like you. Thank you. Sincerly William
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 06:03 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)