Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The frequent lament of "they said my Spyder was not a real motorcycle!"

This seems to come up pretty often. For the most part I really do not care what other people think about what I am riding, unless they want to compliment me and my ride. I certainly do not get upset if someone tells me that they think the Spyder is not a real motorcycle, because frankly, it isn't. Most people think of a real motorcycle as a two wheel vehicle that leans through curves, not a three wheel vehicle that steers through curves just like a car or truck. But there is no hard and fast rule about what is a "real" motorcycle, regardless of the status given to a vehicle by some states (where I live in Illinois, my Spyder is a motorcycle, but the license to ride one is limited to vehicles with 3 wheels). Some states call it an "autocycle" and some recognize that the skills needed to safely operate a Spyder are essentially the same as that for a car, and thus allow anyone with a driver's license to legally operate the 3 wheeler.

The truth is that riding a regular 2 wheel, manual transmission motorcycle requires a great deal more skill than it takes to ride a Spyder (or Ryker, or other 3 wheeler). Anyone who has learned to ride a motorcycle knows that it takes learning to develop muscle memory to operate both hands and both feet simultaneously when coming to a rapid or emergency stop, all while maintaining an upright position of the bike so that it does not topple over as it is stopping or when it comes to a complete stop. And while long time motorcyclists have a learning curve when switching to a 3 wheeler, it truly is a far simpler process on 3 wheels. So riders of 3 wheelers, whether a Spyder or Ryker or Slingshot should not take offense at being teased that their ride is not a real motorcycle, because in common language it is not.

Nothing that I have said above should be taken to mean that I intend to put down Spyders or their riders. I love my Spyder. Giving up leaning through curves was an easy compromise for me for getting the stability, comfort and safety of my RT. I have not regretted trading in the Goldwing for the RT for even a second. But I will admit that when I feel a certain need, I leave the RT in the garage and take my little motorcycle out for a spin, instantly riding in a different manner than with the RT. Not necessarily better, by any means, but certainly different.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

You are not alone here.

When it comes to complaints about YOUR motorcycle not being a real one...who cares ??? Actually it is none of their business. Who are they to complain about YOUR motorcycle ??? Consider the source. IMO, CASE CLOSED!

These days, it is probably best to ignore them, or say nothing back. The slightest provocation can lead to someone pulling a gun or a knife these days.

We who own Spyders know why we bought them. My first was for the uniqness of the product. I bought the first one sold to a customer in Alaska in 2008. For the next two years I answered a lot of questions about the Spyders. A year later, I would have one for the spouse also. We had something that most others don't. A couple years later, it was difficult for me to ride two wheels. I had over 20 two wheeled motorcycles. Everything from 80cc to the Kawi 2000cc. I can honestly say, been there, done that. After laying down my last Kawi 900 a couple times (lost balance at a stop sign due to a bad leg), I knew it was time to part company.

I still have the skills to ride three wheels, but now feel it is time to give up the Spyders also. Both of them are now sold.

For me, it has been a long ride. Now that part is over, no regrets either.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-12-2023 at 04:55 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I rode many Harleys for many years. The last one being a TriGlide. Never had anyone tell me it wasn't a motorcycle. When my shoulders got real bad I switched to a F3 Limited. Have been to Sturgis rally multiple times. Never had anyone tell me it wasn't a motorcycle, and if they had, so what. It works for me, and that is all that matters.
    Last edited by rjinaz86323; 10-13-2023 at 11:23 PM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I refer to my RT as a sports car with handlebars.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Being a Goldwing rider for over 30yrs, Now Spyder rider, I have heard all the loudmouth jerks
    who feel the need to share their opinions about them "Jap Bikes" and "Rice Burner" comments..
    A few I fired back at their comments and challenged there riding distances and how many miles did they do last year?
    That shut them.
    These days I just laugh them and walk away.. opinions are like belly buttons, everybodys got one.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

WHO is doing the RIDING agree with others & few other best not said comments. primary response: ENJOY THE RIDE. & (cautiously )if wanna see them squirm can relate the “real bike” vs metric or any other bike to racist mentality.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I just laugh. I already know I have ridden longer and farther then most of them on 2 wheels, and most of them wouldn't know a real motorcycle if it walked up kicked them in the **s.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I just look at it for what it is. That persons opinion. And an opinion is nothing more then a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Or in other words an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement that is not conclusive, rather than facts, which are true statements. For example, in Washington (the state not the swamp) a motorcycle is legally defined as a motor vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels. The motorcyclist rides on a seat or saddle and steers it with a handlebar. There are other, similar types of vehicles that don't fall under the definition of a motorcycle, a Slingshot would be one example.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

No-one ever says "That's not a motorcycle" to me about my Spyder after I've blown them into the weeds thru the twisties & short straights of the Adelaide Hills or on any of the nearby tracks!

The comments are usually much more complimentary and astounded at how well my 'rocket-sled on rails' so comprehensively out-corners & out-brakes their clunkers on 2-wheels in the tight stuff; especially at how far in I can push it into, and how fast I can keep it going through the corners; and if I do need to slow any &/or brake hard part way through, at how stable doing that is and at how early/fast I can get it going again heading out of the corners!

Mind you, it's only some of them who ever get a chance to say anything when/if they do eventually catch up and pull over for a break where/when I'm usually finishing my break!! All the others are so far behind that they never catch up &/or get a chance to say anything to me!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2023 at 12:36 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

In my first period as a Spyder owner I got many a remark about "the thing" I was sitting on, but I replied with explaining them why I ended up on one. Like why should I have to take expensive courses to get a mc license for bikes above 125cc when I can use my car license and ride straight from the shop?
    Besides, my better half would not have been riding with me if we had a two-wheeler, but the Spyder she really likes for the comfort and safe feeling, so that is a win win for me.
    Who knows, when some of the "what's that thing" guys get older and their knees can't hold up the two-wheeler anymore, they might be happy to know there are Spyders to keep them from giving up the mc life!?

Safe rides everyone!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2023 at 03:30 AM. Reason: straigh; realy; ... ;-)
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't see why anyone would care one bit about what someone says about your Spyder.

An interesting point however, is that I have had more complements riding my F3 L than any other of the multiple dozens of 2 wheeler's that I have owned and still even own and ride a few.

Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Came from many years of two wheelers, consider the Spyder as the reason we're still riding together now. Could care less what others think, we're enjoying ourselves and still out there.

Spyder Garage

With the exception of lane splitting, I can’t think of a single advantage a two wheeled bike has over a Spyder. On the other hand I can think of several advantages a Spyder has over a two wheeled bike.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Bout a month ago I had a bloke pass me as I was just pooteling along on a straight bit of road.
    I was at about the posted limit. Hardly any traffic.

We were just short of 1/2 a dozen quite challenging corners that keep on keeping on just short of my planned stop.
    I know them and have ridden them for decades.....

He was solo on a big V twin with an enormously wide back tyre that sounded like it was rapid firing potatoes every where. I dont mind getting passed but as he came past he sorta cut in early...
    No reason for it as there was no other traffic at the time.

So whats a bloke to do? Himm... I thought wow no need for that at all. Then ...Stuff it..OK ass hat I will play......

We will see how ya go with this set of corners Bucko. I dropped down 2 cogs to 4th and sped up and trailed him at a close distance and a bit closer to the center line. Like riding mates do.

We began to approach the 1st corner. I could see him begin to get uncomfortable and he was looking from mirror to mirror. I know he wanted to slow down, but suspected he didn't want to. I was ready to give him all the room he desired. He got around the first ok. Not much lean. The 2nd he just stayed in the lane and was wobbling at what seemed his lean limit. The 3rd he couldn't manage and swung wide into the other lane. I sped up and went through the inside. Saw him in my mirror way back for the 2nd last, and nowhere for the last.

I think that was the hardest I had ridden my F3. I was really leaning in and powering up gently in the turns. Dont ride like that usually at all. Mostly pootle and but dont slow for the corners so much.

I did feel a bit bad when he swung wide and almost ran off the opposite side of the road as I went through still in my lane.
    Thinking back I should not have pushed him there. Imagine if Mum and the kids were coming the other way.

Long story short I was parked and helmet off when he rode by. He was attempting to give me the evil eye until I gave him the biggest friendly Forrest Gump wave. Didn't stop for a chat and a coffee.... but looked the other way.

I do miss the effortless counter-steering of 2 wheels. But apart from that im enjoying riding my F3 very much.

Spyder Garage

It takes a thick skin to be a motorcyclist. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes a doubly-thick skin to be a Spyder Ryder. I would put up with it happily if that skin was just VISIBLE to cagers.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Riding ski-doo sleds from 1969 and two wheel motor cycles . I just bought a 2023 RTL It's a snowmobile on the road. The most fun ever!

Spyder Garage

Good to see you here Terry. Hope you are enjoying your new Spyder.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I don't care what anyone thinks about my Spyder. My wife and I enjoy it. It's more fun than a convertible car and we're sharing the same risks that 2-wheel riders take.

I have a coworker who insists on badgering me about the Spyder not being a motorcycle. It's really strange. I usually just tell him, "The state of IL disagrees with you" now and leave it at that. He doesn't even own a bike but he used to ride a long time ago, he said. I don't understand why he cares.
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Spyder Garage

In the 2 1/2 years I have owned a Spyder no one has mentioned or hinted it isn't a motorcycle. But if they did I would recall this quote I heard years ago. "What someone else thinks is None of my business." I get way to many smiles per mile to even care what someone else wants to describe my spyder.

2023 Spyder RT limited

Spyder Garage

Who cares what any of them say? If you notice such things, most of the people who walk up and comment on what you are riding, just got out of an economy car parked in front of the dog walking area. Only one that ever really said anything about the Spyder after I bought it was a guy I rode with for several decades at toy runs and benefit rides when I rode the Harley. Not many Spyders in this area, and he didn't know anything about about them. He just asked me where my Harley was. I told him I gave it to my son. He asked a few questions about the Spyder and seemed to be impressed by the stats on it. The people who just walk up and try to put whatever you are riding down, most likely don't even ride, or have a garage queen. If they want to ask questions or learn about the Spyder, fine. If they just come up to start some crap, give them the one finger salute and go on about your business.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I don't care either I just say "You're right, it's a different animal. It's safer and still a lot of fun!"

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Never experienced negative comments - most are interested in knowing more about my F3S. Always acknowledged by other bikers when passing each other (very rarely will a motorcyclist not respond - and I would bet its not because of a spyder).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't got many "that's not a motorcycle" comments. What I do get is people asking about my Spyder when I stop for gas on longer trips. Have to add an extra 5 or 10 minutes for the curious, or the people who just really like my tryke!

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

I too have never received any negative comments.
    People usually want to know if it is hard to steer and are shocked to know it has power steering.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I have had many Seniors ask me about the RT. The most asked "Hey do you think I can ride that kind of bike " And "How much did that cost?" and a few "Man I got to get me one of those.

Some want to cross it off on their bucket list.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.