Spyder Garage

Default Any ideas on Transferring F3 gear control fm LHS to RHS?

Hello,

In the process of selling my 2019 Ryker that I've owned since new and buying a Spyder F3. I have a left-hand disability, so operating the gear change, indicators, and horn will be difficult. Does anyone know how this can be adapted so these functions can be operated on the right side?

Initial thoughts are to fit an aftermarket switch unit and splice into the relevant wire and route this to the new switch but was wondering if anyone has done this?

This was done to my Ryker at a cost of around £1000 (horn and indicators) but don't really want to pay this again.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-11-2023 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Hi Spiderrm, Welcome to (finally ) posting on the Forum!

There are a couple of/maybe a few Spyders here in Oz where the entire Left Hand Control Module has simply been swapped over to the Right-Hand Side to do what it sounds like you want to do.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any pics. I'm pretty sure that at least one of them is just a 'moved from one side of the handlebars to the other as is' job, leaving the moved LH Control module & switches all the correct way up, but slightly harder to reach & operate; while IIRC, I reckon the others have flipped the LH Control module when they changed sides, leaving all the symbols upside down (but they are still understandable 'symbols' ) while making them a bit easier to access with the operator's Right Hand.

However, given the known 'Sensitive CanBus' constraints of these Spyders, I probably wouldn't be considering fitting any a/mkt switch units &/or splicing into the loom in the manner you're questioning above at all! I've seen too many 'odd but crippling errors' &/or 'complete & utter failures' resulting from owners trying to do things like that in a manner that you'd think SHOULD be straightforward & work fine, but due to the CanBus, the integrated switches, & the wiring system on these Spyder things, from what I've seen, doing that 'grafting in a new switch unit' thing and splicing the wires rarely seems to end up that being straightforward or even working all that well at all!

But hey, it's your bike, and if you know someone who's done it before and is confident they can do it again, have at it - and please, report on how successful that is back here so that we can share that info with others!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice. I'll see about moving the whole switch unit over to the right to avoid any canbus issues. Cheers.