Spyder Garage

Default Maintenance questions for a 2015 Spyder RT Limited

I have some Maintenance Questions. I would appreciate your input. My 2015 RT just turned 35,000 miles. I'm going to take it in for Maintenance and do more than the regular than my mechanic does each year. I know its time for Air Filter, and Transmission Filter. My Mechanic told me the fuel filter does not need changed because it is attached to the fuel pump, but my manual says it is past time. I was going to let spark plugs go another year because I am getting mixed advise on that, some are telling me to wait until I have about 45,000 miles, the manual says it is past the time, and it is a riding a little rougher, so I am thinking of replacing the spark plugs. Also the coolant and brake fluid, would you advise that to be changed, I been getting mixed opinions, and my mechanic tells me those don't go bad, but others tell me after so long those fluids can cause corrosion. Also I am sure it is original battery, have not had any problem with it, but thinking of changing it before I do, I do keep it on a battery tender, but don't want to be on a long ride and then it goes.
    my thoughts are I am going to keep this trike a few more years before I go newer. So I am thinking of getting all fluids changed, all filters changed, the plugs and battery if I should. I like my mechanic he has been good to me, but I also think he likes to stay away from long hard jobs if he is real busy. Please give me your thoughts on the fuel filter, plugs, brake fluid, and coolant and the battery and any other advise you can give me for maintenace at 35k miles. I have had the trike 4 riding years, had 15k miles on it when I bought it, has the 1330 CC engine Rotax. Thanks Ron from Northeastern Ohio

Spyder Garage

Look up 28000 mile maintenance recommendations. Sounds like it was never done. Spark plugs recommended at 28k but I’ll be honest most do around 40K. Read the list of the 28000 maintenance and do that for sure. Your front tires should probably getting close if they are OEM. Brake pads should be replaced between 35K-40K if OEM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I am detecting an amount of "the mechanic does not want to do the difficult stuff."

I was told the same thing about plugs when one of my machines was in the 40K range. I let them go, but traded off the machine within a year. When the manual recommends certain things, I would vote with the manuals recommendations. Others of course, may disagree.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Brake fluid certainly does go bad slowly. It picks up moisture from the air. Changing the fluid after several years is easier than rebuilding calipers.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

You say you have a manual, i.e., Operator's Guide, for your Spyder. If so, pages 119-121 are the bible for maintaining the roadster with one exception. In 2016, BRP extended the mileage for the fuel filter replacement from 19,000 to 28,000 miles. The fuel filter part numbers for MYs 2014 to 2016 inclusive are exactly the same, therefore, you change it at 28K mile intervals. Your mechanic is full of crap regarding the location of the fuel filter. It is reference number 27 at this link, https://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=...1503/14Y1503/y, and is not attached to the fuel pump. FWIW, the Fuel Filter Assembly, which includes the fuel filter and two correctly sized Oetiker clamps, is lower cost than purchasing the three components individually. Regarding the mixed opinions you are receiving, if the purveyors of those opinions are Rotax engineers who designed the 1330 ACE engine, all well and good. If not, it's your Spyder and your money, do as you choose, but remember, opinions are like backside orifices, everyone has at least one. Brake fluid should be changed every two years because it's hygroscopic (absorbs water). The minimum brake pad thickness is 1 mm, which your mechanic can easily check.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My 2015 F3 has 25,000 miles and I did the brake flush and clutch flush, BUT the coolant was clear and still brought All five balls up to the top, so I said coolant next summer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-10-2023 at 11:13 PM. Reason: ,'s ;-)

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I have 50K on my 2015 and my coolant and spark plugs are fine. I would change the brake fluid as it is past due and brake fluid does draw moisture which can lead to corrosion. I have done the air filter and the trans filter as recommended. It looks like you have a pretty good idea about what needs to be done and peace of mind is priceless. By the way none of these maintenance chores are hard to do if you like that sort of thing, but if you have a decent mechanic that does well for then let him/her have at it. Batteries have a way of going without warning so once again peace of mind.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

It has an inline fuel filter not that hard to change.

Spyder Garage

Agree & ya new fluids - brake & coolant 2yr intervals & as needed. Oil 1yr minimal or 3500mi whatever first (full synthetic can be longer miles -not sure time extends) -oil/transmission filters -1330 not sure, 998 oil every change, trans every other oil change) battery avg 3-5yr- maintainer helps, does not guarantee longer life. Plugs & wires require inspection. Fuel filters sorry don’t have mileages, believe safe guess at 3yr unless known contamination.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

A couple of things. On my 2014RT, I changed the plugs at the recommended interval, and they were toast. There is no way it would have lasted until 40k miles. So, there is some variance in the spark plug's longevity. Since your bike is running rough, you may be in the same boat I was in.

As to the fuel filter, as was stated it is located outside of the fuel tank and is easily changed once you're there. I would recommend the BRP replacement, but if you wish you can remove it and take it to your local auto parts store and find and exact replacement and then just use fuel injector type replacement clamps. The filter is nothing unique or special, it's just a standard automotive type fuel filter. Which is not a bad thing.

Lastly, I would definitely recommend replacing the brake fluid. No question about it. The design of the reservoir is such that moisture and dust does intrude. Since your bike is older, it's easily and should be done.
    Last edited by KX5062; 10-20-2023 at 04:03 PM.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6