Spyder Garage

Default What's the trick for 2010 Brake pad Replacement?

Hi everybody, I am in the process of changing the brake pads of my 2010 RTS Limited. The old pads snapped off easily and the new pads went on just as easily. I am not sure how to adjust the calipers to allow them to fit back around the rotor. I would appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2023 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread... & expanded title to briefly state the reason for the thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

You have to squeeze the pucks in first. I use one of the old pads as a cushion. You can use a "C" clamp. Use an eye dropper to remove a little brake fluid first so it doesn't overflow and look how your caps are on as you want them to back the same way. Also put some anti squeal paste on the backs of the pads, bevel the leading edges. These will help keep the pads from squealing like little piggys.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 10-09-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thank you.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    You have to squeeze the pucks in first. I use one of the old pads as a cushion. You can use a "C" clamp. Use an eye dropper to remove a little brake fluid first so it doesn't overflow and look how your caps are on as you want them to back the same way. Also put some anti squeal paste on the backs of the pads, bevel the leading edges. These will help keep the pads from squealing like little piggys.
    ....the OP said He removed the old and put in the new ...... IMHO - He needs to apply the brakes ( pump them up ) BEFORE He starts the Spyder. ....Or am I missing something ????? ...........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-09-2023 at 05:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again. The front brakes went on perfectly. Is there anything that I should be aware of before I start on the rear brakes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....the OP said He removed the old and put in the new ...... IMHO - He needs to apply the brakes ( pump them up ) after He starts the Spyder. ....Or am I missing something ????? ...........Mike
    Yes, he needs to pump them up. But do it BEFRORE you start your Spyder or you're liable to get an error code and possibly a 'Limp' mode issue.

It is a good idea not to turn the ignition on at all during any brake service regardless of what year or model you have. You don't want to wake up the All Seeing Computer until everything is done and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by timpani View Post
    Thanks again. The front brakes went on perfectly. Is there anything that I should be aware of before I start on the rear brakes.
    Rears go on in a similar way to the fronts on the 2008-2012 Chinese brake system. However, you will probably need to back off the parking brake adjustment to get the piston to retract fully.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Yes, he needs to pump them up. But do it BEFRORE you start your Spyder or you're liable to get an error code and possibly a 'Limp' mode issue.

It is a good idea not to turn the ignition on at all during any brake service regardless of what year or model you have. You don't want to wake up the All Seeing Computer until everything is done and ready to go.

Rears go on in a similar way to the fronts on the 2008-2012 Chinese brake system. However, you will probably need to back off the parking brake adjustment to get the piston to retract fully.
    My bad .... thanks for clearing that up ..... I corrected my post ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2023 at 06:04 PM. Reason: [

Spyder Garage

Thanks everybody!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....the OP said He removed the old and put in the new ...... IMHO - He needs to apply the brakes ( pump them up ) BEFORE He starts the Spyder. ....Or am I missing something ????? ...........Mike
    So I went back and re read the OP and he says he can't get the calipers over the rotors. To me that says he didn't retract the pucks before putting on the new pads hence the compress the pucks first.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze