Thread: pillion comfort

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default pillion comfort

I am looking for some feedback from pillion riders of the GS Spyder.
    This bike we have is running standard suspension at the minute with front shocks set on the lower soft setting because of the uneven roads we have around here. The rear is set on the high setting.The bike does have a full set of panniers and a topbox and a classic chassis towbar.
    My pillion ,she is saying that as the bike goes into corners she starts to slide across the seat and tends to get a twist in the lower back.
    We are seasoned riders and do about 20,000 klms a year.
    It seems we need to find what others have done and make some bike adjustments.
    Looking forward to some helpful feedback.
    Thanks
    Eric

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aussie venturer View Post
    This bike we have is running standard suspension at the minute with front shocks set on the lower soft setting because of the uneven roads we have around here. The rear is set on the high setting.The bike does have a full set of panniers and a topbox and a classic chassis towbar.
    My pillion ,she is saying that as the bike goes into corners she starts to slide across the seat and tends to get a twist in the lower back.
    Thanks
    Eric
    Eric, sounds like you have the same sort of setup as me (without the towbar). My wife is as happy as a pig in the proverbial on the back of mine, and I have got a sheepskin cover on my seat, and they are not very grippy. Just make sure she is holding on to the hand rails, and is following your body movements leaning into the corners. Can't stress enough that the pillion HAS to hold on.
    The photo below hasn't got the sheepskin fitted.
    Bob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You bring up an interesting point about a "twist in the lower back".
    You mention that you are seasoned riders- I am guessing you mean motorcycle seasoned...?

As a long time motorcycle rider, new to 3-wheels-no-leaning rider I find I am getting a "Twist in the lower back" from the different physical actions taken when riding the Spyder. My hope, my assumption, is that after 6 months or so I will gain the flexibility and the different muscle conditioning so that the problem is normalized and I don't notice it anymore - don't get feeling twisted.

My wife loves the Spyder more than all the motorcycles we've had but at this point I am guessing she hasn't been on it enough have the different leaning motions bother her, she likes them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aussie venturer View Post
    Thanks
    Eric
    Hi Eric.

I've taken a few pillions out on the back of my Spyder. Their reactions varied, but two of them (one a rider, one not) mentioned how physical it was. Having to use their arms and legs to stay seated and balanced made them sore.

I guess a bit of it will be in the position of the pegs. Some here have had good value from moving the rear pegs forward and down so that the pillion can straighten their legs.

I found that the rear shock was too soft, and have fitted an Ikon shock. It has adjustable damping as well as a wide pre-load range. While I'm still testing it, I find it much better with a pillion on than the standard shock, and much easier to adjust.

You could benefit from fitting an after market sway bar to keep the Spyder from leaning so much in the corners. Try a run on some smooth roads with the front shocks set to a higher preload, and see if it makes your pillion happier. If so, you know which way to go.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default pillion comfort

Thanks to the ones that replied to this thread.It seems as though I am going to have to fit a stabiliser bar to the front end to limit the lean
    I are happy with the bike in general,just a little bit of fine tuning to please the other half.
    Eric.