Quote Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
So if you had a dual axle aluminum trailer and a choice of electric brakes or hydraulic brakes, which would you prefer?
Overall, I prefer electric brakes, but there are times when hydraulic surge brakes make more sense.

Electric brakes require a controller. Usually, it is in the tow vehicle, but as Jdr00ejr noted, there are some models that can be mounted on the trailer. There is also a difference in models that are mounted in the vehicle. Some are time-based, meaning that when you press on the brake pedal, there is some braking power sent to the trailer, and then it increases up to a maximum that you have set. Proportional controllers have inertia sensors that will apply braking power to the trailer that matches what you are applying to the tow vehicle. Personally, I don't like the time-based units, as when I step on the brakes, I usually want them NOW.

Hydraulic brakes on the trailer are almost a no-brainer system. Assuming they have been set up properly by the manufacturer, they do not need any adjustment for additional load on the trailer. If you stop harder, the trailer will 'bump' into you harder, which applies the brakes harder. All self-compensating. The biggest drawback of a hydraulic system is when backing up. Since you are pushing backward into the coupler, it will tend to apply the brakes. There is usually a pin that can be inserted to prevent that. Some pins can be activated electrically, when the reverse lights are lit.

If you are pulling with only one vehicle (and don't loan out your trailer), I would recommend an electric controller. If you have more than one tow vehicle, look into either a hydraulic system or a trailer-mounted electric system. The trailer-mounted systems (electric and hydraulic) are also good if someone borrows your trailer that does not have an electric controller.