Spyder Garage

Default Front suspension upgrade - Hr springs from Martin live up to the hype!

Hello. Many of you have answered numerous questions about shocks and springs. Well, after doing a bit of research, I bought the Hr springs from Martin. I am here to tell you these springs live up to the hype! They really do work well and with no jittery feeling over rough roads and very light input. I own a 21 RTL With the first gen after-market swaybar by BajaRon. The rear is stock for now. After installing the springs, the bike does not squat more than 1 inch when mounting; it corners are flat and stable. I'll say it's a very solid alternative to the more expensive shocks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-06-2023 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for the thread... + Caps; sp; ' 's ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Will you be doing the rear as well at some point? Also how much was this and how was the shipping from Martin?
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

WRC, the shipping cost was $39.00 and dealing with Martin was a breeze. I took the bike out for another shake down run and I am more than pleased with this setup. I am going to address the rear, but I want to do more research and get more feedback from those who have gone with different brands of shocks. And I also want to know how car tires affect this setup...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2023 at 01:22 AM. Reason: then = a time past; than = introduction of 2nd element/comparison; now = this time, the present time; know = understand! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Myself, there's more to shocks than the spring. Yes, it will make a difference for a while, but after time and if you ride a lot and put miles on, it will be sooner than later that the shock itself will lose its damping feature and you have crap! The shocks they put on these things are junk in my book and you're putting lipstick on a pig. You can't have them rebuilt or recharged, and some of them have crappy adjustments; what the heck, a ramp/ click adjuster, what is that??? Just my two cents on that!! Your bike, your money!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2023 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Caps, your, & ' 's ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Have to say that the OEM shocks are not crap, just a price point that is beneficial to the OEM and owner. The shocks on the Spyder are a compromise in performance, ride quality. Cars are the same, we just don't pay much attention to cars the same way. Car shocks are good for some 100K Kms, then should be changed. Tires the same, but who pays this much attention to this.

If it weren't for us particular old farts, the aftermarket segment of this industry would not be there.

The best upgrade in my opinion is an aftermarket set of front shocks, with a spring rate that is specific to your riding profile and with shocks that are tuned to be used with this spring rate. Most aftermarket shocks will provide a rebound adjustment. Don't need to go to a shock/spring assembly that has anything else. Combine this with an upgraded sway bar and you should have a decent front end suspension. The rear shock on an RT can be left alone if you have the air ride system, or ride primarily solo.

The snowmobiling fraternity is the closest you can get to information regarding suspension for us laypersons. These riders are very particular and spend a lot of money to get their sleds to perform, and with a riding season that is quite short. ATV riders the same.

Have a look at some of the snowmobile suspension web sites. Accelerated Technologies is one: https://acceleratedtechnologies.ca

Check out its videos on suspension such as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIU0hqb8MA

Good luck. Cheers
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest