Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

There is a service bulletin for 2020+ RT's for hard start issues. Requires an update to the ECM. If your battery is a little weak and barley turning the motor over enough to start this could cause the VSS warning. Check with your dealer about the Hard Start ECM update that my be all you need.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all. It sounds like I may have a issue with hot starting which is causing the momentary showing of the "VSS FAULT". That is the only times I have seen the issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    Thanks all. It sounds like I may have a issue with hot starting which is causing the momentary showing of the "VSS FAULT". That is the only times I have seen the issue.
    Does it still do that hesitation thing and display the fault if you've been riding for more than 1/2 an hour - saayyy, for at least an hour?? Do you put your battery on a battery tender between rides; or does it ever sit for longer than about a week without running at Hwy speeds for more than about 30 mins?? It generally takes at least bout 30 mins of reasonable revs/riding just to replace the charge drained by the first start after sitting for a few days, so maybe you're just not getting enough charge back into the battery before hitting it with the starting load again??

There's that ^^ and also what you describe with that slight hesitation &/or a fault light staying on can sometimes be an early sign of a weak &/or dying battery, and they can die at any time; some do so even at just days old! So don't think it's impossible for that to be the cause of all this just cos your Spyder's relatively new - there's even been a few 2023 Spyders with less milage than yours have battery failures already; and many more new owners are finding that both the new &/or replacement OEM batteries installed in the last few year/models of Spyders are nowhere near as good as they used to be, with a growing number of early battery failures being reported here and elsewhere! So maybe you should get yours tested?? Most auto elec or battery outlets will do it for you for free, and they'll check that the alternator's doing the right thing too!

Just a thoughty or two!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!