Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What Rear Axle Nut Wrench are you using?

So the dealership I've been using for warranty work and most recently a new rear tire, is having a tough time aligning the drive belt. Seems to me they want to rush it through and get to the paying jobs. (can't blame them I guess) Anyway... I have been doing some research and am going to adjust it myself. What has/is anyone using for a wrench on the axle nut? I have been to all the usual suspects, and no one has a 36mm wrench that "I liked the look of".

Thanks

2018 F3 Limited
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2023 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

We bought a socket and wrench from Amazon (socket) and Northern Tool (wrench open end and box end) which could be cut in half and make two wrenches.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2023 at 05:39 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    Ms Jetson
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Chaulk/Dark
    Farkles:
    Drivers Backrest, K.O.T.T. Grills, Lamonster Handlebar riser

Past rides; 2007 Lehman Jackal, 2014 Spyder RTS

Flatlands of South Dakota
    Lennox,SD

2014 RT , Congac

Spyder Garage

Shallow socket off Amazon and just a cheap import wrench from Northern Tool. Don't overthink it - you'll only use it a few times and it's plenty strong enough even if it looks like crap.

Spyder Garage

Lamonster Garage sells the 36mm socket used for the oil filter and rear axle nut along with the hex and Allen sockets used on the oil plugs. I believe they are $37 sold together. You should be able to get a 36mm wrench at Harbor freight.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Alignment

I bought a socket and wrench from Amazon. Socket & Combination (open end and box end wrench) which I cut in half and make two wrenches.
    Also use my 1/2" drive torque wrench to finish the job.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't have to torque back on at 300lbs. 100+ is plenty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a 1 7/16" american size socket & wrench...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    You don't have to torque back on at 300lbs. 100+ is plenty.
    So if 100 is OK, why does the workshop manual say 150 +/- 10 for the 2013+ models, 2 dogs?

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 10-04-2023 at 02:31 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MS JETSON View Post
    We bought a socket and wrench from Amazon (socket) and Northern Tool (wrench open end and box end) which could be cut in half and make two wrenches.
    You must be a strong bugger, MS JETSON. I needed a 2’ breaker bar to release the 150lbs torqued nut……and I’m not a lightweight. I assume you use a bar of some kind on the end of the half wrench?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

You can get a 36 mm wrench most any place that sells tools. They kind of big if you looking for one to carry around in the tool pouch.

You can also get 36 mm sockets to fit 3/4 inch torque wrench and/or crowfoot wrench for the tool pouch. To carry in the tool pouch,

get the socket and crowfoot wrench. Carry a sawed off breaker bar and couple of pieces of pipe for cheater bars.

You could just cut the combination wrench in half and make cheater bars for it on the road.

You still need the socket for the torque wrench, at least in your shop.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This works great!
    https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Torque-...s%2C271&sr=8-2

Using a 1/2" 150 or 120 lb-ft torque wrench you can easily reach the required torque of 166 lb-ft on the axle nut. Here's how to calculate the torque wrench reading needed. https://www.norbarusa.com/Support/Ca...ension-Formula

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I browse lawn sales and flea markets, and have bought some very old tools like adjustable wrenches ( for little money ) some of which are of the " Stillson " variety .... they are like pipe wrenches without the teeth .... some are also quite thin, like open-end wrench. ... they work great on the disk side nut .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-05-2023 at 01:01 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's not to like about the looks of a wrench? And we're talking about a $25/$30k machine here and we can't afford a wrench? Check out your local pawn shop.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 10-05-2023 at 12:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Found what I was looking for at Northern Tool. I may have grunted like "Tim The Toolman Taylor" while I was browsing...
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I browse lawn sales and flea markets, and have bought some very old tools like adjustable wrenches ( for little money ) some of which are of the " Stillson " variety .... they are like pipe wrenches without the teeth .... some are also quite thin, like open-end wrench. ... they work great on the disk side nut .... Mike

They are not flea market finds, they are my family heirlooms.

If you can't find the 36 mm tools, then a 1 7/16 SAE is about 1/2 mm larger. On a nut that large the 1/2 mm would make very little difference. It sure would not slip or round the corners. So little difference in 36 and a 36.5 you would be OK with that on the very large nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gwolf; 10-05-2023 at 05:49 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Harbor Freight!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

NAPA , no problem getting it in stock or overnight to the store

Spyder Garage

Speaking of Napa and Advanced, depending on the store and if you have an account with them, sometimes if you are only going to use the tool one time you can rent/ borrow the tool needed. It costs like $1.50 total. You put the tool value deposit down and receive it back once it’s returned. I’m guessing a 36mm socket would be on their list. I know the huge wrenches are on the list for rent. I’ve needed to adjust and remove that axle nut 3 times since 2017. I bought an extra long wrench off amazon for $30 as recommended above and cut it in half. I also bought a filter socket from HF. I am a tool lover. I have easy $35K easily if not more in snapon and Mac tools but some things are just dumb to have high quality when it is only used once or twice. If it was every year for maintenance then I’d think different and look for the high quality stuff but for removing the axle nut the amazon and Harbor Freight are just fine.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I can do 2 ways, axle wrench to get loose and oil filter socket with rachet to speed up, or can use the socket to get loose or torque but is 3/8 so need a an adapter for torque wrench and will be to close at muffler need to pull to side on some bikes.PXL_20231005_131349380.jpgfPXL_20231005_131443745.jpg

Spyder Garage

Bye the way this is the right angle to torque it.PXL_20231005_140801275.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjr00 View Post
    So the dealership I've been using for warranty work and most recently a new rear tire, is having a tough time aligning the drive belt. Seems to me they want to rush it through and get to the paying jobs. (can't blame them I guess) Anyway... I have been doing some research and am going to adjust it myself. What has/is anyone using for a wrench on the axle nut? I have been to all the usual suspects, and no one has a 36mm wrench that "I liked the look of".

Thanks

2018 F3 Limited
    Read this thread to see the problem I have had in getting the alignment just right. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...belt+alignment. Maybe your dealer was dealing with the same issue, i.e., the axle moving while torquing the nut.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Smile

I found that my axel also moved when trying to tighten down the axel nut. I solved the problem by running a ratcheting tiedown strap from the right front floorboard around the back tire and making it as tight as possible. This has kept my wheel from walking while tightening the axel nut.
    I got my 36mm socket years ago from MAC, but back in those days I was making my living with the tools. I would not spend that kind of money today. NAPA, Advance, the internet, Harbor Freight are all good enough for as often as most of us will be using them. I think my combination wrench came from Walmart trailer hitch aisle and was for sure made in China and cheap, but it works.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 10-05-2023 at 12:02 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Snapon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I found that my axel also moved when trying to tighten down the axel nut.
    You have to torque each side toward the adjusters or that will happen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    You have to torque each side toward the adjusters or that will happen.
    Just exactly what do you mean? Since the nut has to turn clockwise to tighten, if the bottom section of it has more friction against the swing arm than does the top section that friction will tend to make the nut and axle move forward. There really isn't enough room to point the wrench any way but toward the back. And since torquing is rotational I don't see how you can make it directional.

2014 Copper RTS