Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Where do I connect an SWR meter on a 2014 RT-L?

I have tuned CB antennas for almost 50 years and have the procedure down just fine, but I don't have a clue where the radio is on a Spyder. Yeah the antenna is obvious, and if that is where to connect the meter, fine, but I have usually connected the meter to the output of the radio to be able to read the entire antenna cable, too.

I have done a lot of searching on this forum and Google in general just to find where the blasted radio is on the bike, with no luck. Searching Google also brings up several different forums, and a very common response to poor CB performance is "use an SWR meter to check the antenna", but they never say where to connect it.

Thanks for any help offered.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Not sure of the various year & makes. Found mine was a Radio/amp combo unit; good # of connections on either side of unit. RH Rear (sitting on bike). The antenna “cable” was in fact more of an earth ground braided loop kind of ribbon, I guess that's what you would call it. Hollow & laid flat - not crimped but at the end it had bolt a run through it with washers.

264E02AB-3015-49BD-B6BF-6E52331AF009.jpeg

Sorry pic inverted, but you can see the bolt washers in ribbon upper LH. I believe the other connections were various #pin molex types & first/last time I looked was back 2015, so that could very well be incorrect, sorry.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2023 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, "B", but I see that your bike is a 2013. I have heard (but don't know for SURE) that they changed the radio (and possibly its location) in 2014.

The flat "cable" that you mentioned is the ground cable, not the antenna, so I am still looking.

Also, your location of "RH rear" still does not mention exactly where. Do you mean the side of the trunk, where the antenna mounts, or maybe just inside the saddlebag area, or ... where? There are a LOT of body panels behind which the radio can hide, and we have to admit it's pretty well hidden.

HER ride:

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Factory CB’s come with the antenna already tuned. Grounding is an issue on motorcycles. Clean paint off frame where it’s grounded.

If you still think otherwise, The units are behind the front parts of the saddlebags. Not easy to get at. I remember when an antenna was checked and they put the meter between the mount and actual antenna.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Thanks, "B", but I see that your bike is a 2013. I have heard (but don't know for SURE) that they changed the radio (and possibly its location) in 2014.

The flat "cable" that you mentioned is the ground cable, not the antenna, so I am still looking.

Also, your location of "RH rear" still does not mention exactly where. Do you mean the side of the trunk, where the antenna mounts, or maybe just inside the saddlebag area, or ... where? There are a LOT of body panels behind which the radio can hide, and we have to admit it's pretty well hidden.

Any & all RH behind seat then. (Sitting on bike)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I have tuned CB antennas for almost 50 years and have the procedure down just fine, but I don't have a clue where the radio is on a Spyder. Yeah the antenna is obvious, and if that is where to connect the meter, fine, but I have usually connected the meter to the output of the radio to be able to read the entire antenna cable, too.

I have done a lot of searching on this forum and Google in general just to find where the blasted radio is on the bike, with no luck. Searching Google also brings up several different forums, and a very common response to poor CB performance is "use an SWR meter to check the antenna", but they never say where to connect it.

Thanks for any help offered.

I see other people have chimed in on the location of what you are looking for but why would you want to check SWR on the FM/AM radio?

A high Standing Wave Ratio will not affect reception as much as it does transmission and you would not want to use the Fm/Am Radio antenna for a cb anyway unless you are disconnecting the factory radio from the wiring and still then you would need to replace the antenna with one tuned for a CB radio frequency.

Update:Ignore my previous statement, I didn't realize that the RT's had a CB radio on the earlier model years.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 10-08-2023 at 12:28 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The CB is on the right side below the passenger seat mounted near vertical, more of less in line with the front of the saddlebag. The audio unit is behind and above it and mounted near horizontal. The antenna plugs into the CB directly at the bottom end. Here are the installation instructions: https://brp.my.salesforce-sites.com/...0000000h3EnCAI. You'll find all the BRP instructions here: https://instructions.brp.com/e-instruction.html#tab=2
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 10-08-2023 at 07:50 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post

Update:Ignore my previous statement, I didn't realize that the RT's had a CB radio on the earlier model years.
    Only as an option.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Because there is so little metal in the Spyder I changed my CB antenna to a Firestik No-Ground-Plane antenna. It helped. I don't remember what I ended up at as far a results using an SWR.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I examined the RDO (Radio) module I removed from my Spyder. The antenna cable was about 6ft long with the standard cheap coaxial plug on the antenna end and the cable directly entering the chassis on the module end. The excess cable was coiled with a tie wrap.

There were two high-density multi-pin connectors. One went to the Spyder CL (Cluster) module via CANBUS, loudspeakers, GPS (Global Position System) module, POD (IPOD Connection) module, and PRC (Passenger Radio Control) module. The other went to the XM (Satellite Radio) and CB (Citizens Band) modules. Their antenna connections are according to the information Idaho provided.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2023 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, guys, thanks for all the replies.

IMS (IdahoMtnSpyder), thanks especially for the instructions, but they were a day late. I left my sister's house on the 8th, after trying to tune the antenna on her husband's Spyder a couple of days earlier. I finally found the area where the antenna co-ax connects to the radio module. Never did actually touch it, let alone take it apart to check the SWR. Without removing ALL the plastic on the right side, I think the only way to access that connector might be to remove the muffler and go up from below.

I did access the antenna base and assured good connections there. While on a ride, his radio sounded fine, and everyone commented on how well it sounded. I guess that's the bottom line, regardless of actual SWR numbers. Just for reference, the four CBs involved in conversations on the ride were two '14 RT-Ls (my sister and her husband) with the stock Can-Am radios, my wife's '17 RT-S with a J&M CB and me on my '00 Goldwing.

Thanks for playing the game, I'll try to come up with something easier next time.

HER ride:

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G