Spyder Garage

Default Clunks shifting into Reverse fm Neutral on S2S - I don't like it!

I have found that when shifting into Reverse from Neutral I get a clunk. Started shifting to Reverse from 1st gear and slips right into gear very easy. Was told the clunk is normal but I still don't like it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-01-2023 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread... & expanded title to briefly state the reason for the thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

I get those clunks on my RTS also, but they vary in "loudness". Sometimes it shifts real smooth, but that is more seldom than the normal clunks.
    I have learned to ignore it and just ride without concern due to all the people here saying it is normal for the Spyders.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-01-2023 at 08:34 PM. Reason: loudnes; & ' 's ;-)
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Let oil warm up more b4 going to gear. Will still be there just not as loud

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Nature of the beast. You must have never owned a constant mesh transmission vehicle before. No one likes it. But it doesn't hurt anything and the clunk from neutral will never go away.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MCole View Post
    I have found that when shifting into Reverse from Neutral I get a clunk. Started shifting to Reverse from 1st gear and slips right into gear very easy. Was told the clunk is normal but I still don't like it.
    You might not 'like it', but truly, it really is 'Normal'; it's due to basic physics - I think it was Newton who came up with the First Law of Motion, which IIRC goes something like this: An object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion without variation of speed or direction, unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.... So really, it's something you might want to get used to if you like riding motorbikes with Constant Mesh Transmissions...

There's a few things you can do to minimise the clunk as mentioned above, but since basic physics (see above) basically tells us that 'All objects resist changes in their state of motion unless acted upon by an unbalanced force' then that 'clunk' is simply a feature of engaging the 'already in motion' engine side of your Spyder's Constant Mesh Transmission with the 'at rest' part of the driveline because it's in Neutral. But once you've selected & gone into a gear, any gear (the application/action of an unbalanced force ) and thereby made both sides of that 'constant mesh' gearbox spin at effectively the same speed, producing a 'clunk' as the whole thing resists the change in motion, it won't/shouldn't clunk again while ever you are moving &/or just shifting up & down thru the gears; at least not until you select Neutral once again (which will eventually stop the output side of the trans from turning any more), &/or stop the motor (which will stop the input side of this equation from turning!)

But due to all that ^^, there's really NOTHING you can do to get rid of the clunk completely - in fact, if you did, you really should be concerned about what had gone wrong with your gearbox?!

Hang on, thinking about it a bit more, there IS something you can do to 'get rid of that clunk completely' - but since it's selling the Spyder, and never buying another NOR ever buying any other motorbike &/or other vehicle with a constant mesh gearbox like those that so many of these things have, I reckon that if you're anything like the rest of us who enjoy Spyder riding, then that's probably not on the cards!!

Sorry, but them's the breaks! That's just the way the cookie crumbles and the way selecting First or Reverse gear from Neutral clunks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-01-2023 at 08:49 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...archid=4214199

Mod Edit: Sorry, but copying & pasting links to Search Results pages won't work; you need to tell people the search criteria you entered.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-02-2023 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Edit re Search Results.... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Let oil warm up more b4 going to gear. Will still be there just not as loud
    In my experience it's not the oil Temperature that reduces the " clunk " ..... it's the REV's ....When I start my 14 Spyder RT from / at ambient temp., if I wait till the rev's drop to 800 rpm's ( about 45 seconds of waiting ) , I put it in First, ( even if I'm eventually going to back up ) , this reduces the CLUNK considerably. .....Then I hit reverse, and there is NO CLUNK at all .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...archid=4214199

Mod Edit: Sorry, but copying & pasting links to Search Results pages won't work; you need to tell people the search criteria you entered.
    OOPs sorry. I just searched the word "clunk" in the top right corner of the forum page.

Spyder Garage

Clunks are normal on most motorcycles. I have owned bikes that you could be sitting at idle on dirt, clutch pulled all the way, and the rear tire would spin half a rotation when you dropped it in first. The idle RPM was set correctly too. The Spider clunk is a huge improvement over the clunks of some 60s and 70s sport bikes.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver