Spyder Garage

Default Suspension air noise - does my '22 S2S have ACS? Or is this a fault?

Hi.

new to spyders.

2022 S2S - have about 400 miles on it.

Wife and I were on it today and when we pulled into the garage, and she got off to run inside to get something, i heard a loud air leak coming from the back area and the bike dropped in the rear.

This happened about 4 times. I shut the bike down, restarted and it didnt happen again.

We went back out and as we were riding, she and i both heard and felt it again.

I tried to find whats up and i read about the rear suspension.

I read about ACS, Nanny and manual pump it uup.

I thought the sea to sky was the top of the line model and comes with everything, but i cant find anything about an auto air suspension anywhere.

Please, enlighten me if i have such a thing and if i need to be alarmed with the adjustments it is making. Or, do i have a faulty machine and need to take it back to the shop.

Also, do i not have a sport mode? i have no icon and an econ icon. nothing else.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Kordin; 09-30-2023 at 10:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi .... I have the same model with about 800 kms on it. Whilst I haven't experienced your problem, I took mine back for service last week due to a suspension fault warning. The problem, according to the tech, was a loose bolt on the suspension actuator. Seems OK now.
    Page 56 of my manual has a short paragraph about the Limited Models rear suspension. It basically says that the suspension adjusts automatically using an integrated compressor. It doesn't sound like your bike is operating the way it should, perhaps an air leak, bad valve or just a loose bolt like mine. I think I'd have it checked out.
    Also, I can only find either Eco or Standard mode on my bike.... no sport mode as far as I can tell. Page 51 of the manual suggests 3 modes are available.
    There are a lot of threads on this site relating to the rear suspension. It's worth having a read of them.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by Kordin; 09-30-2023 at 11:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

there is NO sport mode on S2S. your auto leveling on the bike will let out air if the actuator arm senses a too high of height. It will also pump up if too low, you will hear a compressor sound. But if your arm is not attached to swing arm, you'll get more action from compressor.
    what could be happening is, might have a leak somewhere in lines, fittings. Common in your occurrence, you stop, let a passenger off, it will sense that suspension go up, and lets out air.

S2S does NOT have manual fill availability.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

If I was you, I would get it back to the shop and let them look at it, 0r find someone that knows what there are looking at to check it out. By what you first said, your wife got off and the bike was making adjustments, that is normal, but it should be like a onetime thing once it hits it's happy place it should stop. and when your wife gets back on it should level the bike again. It shouldn't be that loud of a noise really, and you will feel it rise and lower. But it shouldn't sit in one place and pogo up and down with no weight changes. There's a control on your left side of your bike that has a little dog bone shaped arm that is hooked to your swing arm, there have been a lot of people get their bikes from the dealer and they have not hooked that arm up, it's part of the prep the dealers supposed to do when they take it out of the box! You may have a leak in the system, that would make it act funny, and would lead to a burnt-out pump if you let it go to long! So, if I was you, I would get someone to look at it for you! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

As I understand it the purpose of the air ride suspension is to level out the bike under loads such as two riders vs one rider, or fully loaded with luggage or whatever.
    I believe the bike must be in gear for the system to work.
    Under heavy load it will add air to raise the rear end by running the air compressor.
    When you change from two riders to a single rider it should vent air to bring the rear end down.

When we come back from a two up ride and my wife gets off the bike the system does nothing. When I get back on the bike and start it up to put it away the bike vents air to lower the rear end. It generally vents only once, sometimes twice.

Venting three or more times in quick succession sounds like a sensor HI/LOW calibration problem to me.
    Last edited by Lee0123; 10-01-2023 at 05:32 AM.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

It can be!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I had to take my 2022 RTL back to the dealer twice before they finally found an air leak at the top of the air bag. Had to replace the bag. Several other places where you can get leaks: at one of the several hoses, compressor check valve and the solenoid valve.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Spyder RTL- dark trim
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S Fastback
    1969 Barracuda, 6.1 Hemi restomod, convertible
    1970 Plymouth Superbird, 440-6bbl

Spyder Garage

This is the diagram of the ACS system. Top is the compressor, lower left is the solenoid valve and lower right is the connection to the top of the air bag. The ACS position sensor is shown in the 2nd photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RealWing; 10-01-2023 at 06:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all replies.

I was wondering... if perhaps maybe... hoping... that, because the weather had actually changed pretty drastically in one day and I know my car tires change a lot with the outside temp, I was just thinking perhaps that has something to do with it?

I am going to go down and look for the dog bone arm thing. Not sure what I'm looking for but I'm after it.

Again... thanks for replies.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-01-2023 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kordin View Post

I am going to go down and look for the dog bone arm thing. Not sure what I'm looking for but I'm after it.

If you look at the Second thumbnail in RealWings Post #9 above, 'the dog bone arm thing' is the little vertical component below the Red Height Sensor Index arm. It connects that Red thing to the Swing Arm, and often whoever does the dealer assembly doesn't bother to connect it or only loosely does the nut up so that it eventually comes off and the bolt drops out. It's USUALLY the lower bolt, the one connecting it to the swing arm, at least here in Oz, so I suspect also over there in NV...

But you should also check the Red thing in that thumbnail, the Height Sensor Index Arm, and the bracket that holds the box assy it comes out of onto the frame - if your Spyder has been lifted with the rear shock disconnected at any time (saaay, to lift it off the pallet when it was being assembled? ) and that dog-bone WAS already connected, the bracket can be bent outta shape &/or the index arm pulled off the sensor box, resulting in odd ACS behaviour.... Do you really need to ask me how I know this occurs?!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Picked up the Spyder today. The dealer had a hard time finding the leak. Finally used the fiberscope and soap solution and found the leak on top of the air bag. In addition to replacing the air bag (2198000175) they also replaced the check valve( 706000831)