Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation If you want a cat delete, Monster tune, etc better buy it now

This is going to affect many specialty sellers https://www.thedrive.com/news/us-sue...defeat-devices

For example, Amazon already geo-limits sales of certain items (eg incandescent bulbs, air filters).
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I think you would have had to be living under a rock not to know this was coming.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

SOMEONE gotta choke on SOMETHING

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

You're not going to stop people from trying to reinvent the wheel, and try to make their VW bug go faster, or at least make it sound like it is!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-01-2023 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Removed political comment...
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

This isn't going to stop anything. It just drives it underground. The EPA has recently cracked down hard on diesel truck mods, fining several of the major players. Business moved out of the USA, and now it's more word of mouth, but I can promise you that if i wanted to delete the emissions on my new SuperDuty, and tune it for more power (and efficiency), I could have it done in a couple days. The latest trend is full on emissions tuning, and several major players are successful at it, the famous Gale Banks being just one. Both Ford and RAM offer HO diesels in addition to the standard lines. Both are, for all practical purposes, tweaked tunes from the factory. Shoot, my Ford has over 900 foot pounds of torque, and can idle my 16,400 fifth wheel out of it's storage bunker. I don't need more power, I need cheaper fuel!
    The greater majority of motorcycles don't have full on emission choking devices. I don't know of any state (except maybe California) that sniffs bikes, so removing a cat, or installing a free flow exhaust will continue on bikes.
    2022 RT-L "Charlotte"
    When my child says "I want Mom" that's the equivalent of "Can I talk to your Supervisor?"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It just drives it underground. ... Business moved out of the USA, and now it's more word of mouth
    Yep that was my point. Easy access is over and most vendors will drop out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Prior to owning my spyder I had a Harley that I had remapped. Being a bit concerned about passing emissions out here on the left coast, I spoke to the guy who smogs our vehicles. He laughed and said that the state legislature passes laws/regulations so fast that the real world can't stay up to speed fast enough to implement them. So, rather than going after the little guys, they go after the high profile bigger guys to make the biggest impact possible. He told me the state is so far backed up with rules and regs that they had to extend emission testing timelines just to keep their heads above water. In short, they're not likely to be testing motorcycles on this side of the continent in our lifetime. So, don't sell your take offs. Store them away in the attic just in case.

Spyder Garage

I think it's more Chicken Little. Back in the early 70's we were all afraid that we'd never be able to work on our cars again, what with the new-fangled computers and fuel injection instead of carbs. Where there's a will, there's a way.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The issue I was addressing is marketplace. Amazon is already geo-limiting as well as eliminating categories of items for sale. With this massive fine I expect eBay will become more like Amazon in restricting items offered for sale. Will this carry down to specialty vendors? Likely over time depending on the offending nature of the item and size of market. Will it reach the Spyder market? Watch what happens at eBay.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is actually a "stop sale" order on some of the BMW motorcycles. This is said to be due to emission issues. They bikes are fine, but someone is starting stuff. Surprisingly the BMW that I own (K1600B) is one of the cleanest and smoothest running motorcycles that I have ever owned.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    I don't know of any state (except maybe California) that sniffs bikes, so removing a cat, or installing a free flow exhaust will continue on bikes.
    Outside of requirements on models coming into the state from the factory, there are no annual smog checks on motorcycles nor trikes in California. There are restrictions on bringing motorcycles/trikes bought out of state into California but that's usually a matter of ensuring it has high enough mileage or is old enough to not cannibalize sales of new units in the state. There are a lot of owners who remove cats and replace exhausts here in California. As with most things, it's just illegal if you get caught by the PoPo. Of course, you won't be able to get a licensed shop to delete cats nor install non-EPA approved exhausts so any mods like that have to be done by the owner or a reliable "friend". As long as it's not obnoxiously loud or you're pissing off the police in some other fashion, I don't think most care too much. I can't recall the last time any rider I've known received a ticket for an illegal exhaust. Even then, it's usually what we call a fix-it ticket. You remedy the violation, then get it inspected and signed off on. There may be a small fine but the last I heard it was low double digits decades ago. I don't know what the fine (if any) is now.