Spyder Garage

Default New back tire. Short valve stem. Do extenders exist that work?

So like I said, new back tire, but the valve stem is really short, and I struggled to get the PSI down from 30-18 because it took some finangling to get something on it due to where it is at.

So 15 minutes to get the pressure where I wanted it. So do these kind of things exist? Or not?
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

You can purchase extenders at any parts store.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    So like I said, new back tire, but the valve stem is really short, and I struggled to get the PSI down from 30-18 because it took some finangling to get something on it due to where it is at.

So 15 minutes to get the pressure where I wanted it. So do these kind of things exist? Or not?
    Whoever did the tire swap should have put on one that was a little longer ..... JMHO .... Glad you using 18 PSI .... Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try a search on Amazon (tire valve extender)
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Try a search on Amazon (tire valve extender)
    I should have done that. But I look for your guys guidance. You all always get me going in the right direction.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Go to your nearest Harley store, It's fun anyway just to see all the pretty new Harleys. Ask for a rear tire valve extender. They use them on Ultras to check the rear tire. Last time I checked they were about $11. You can screw it on when you want to check the rear tire pressure.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Get a trigger type hookup for the compressor hose with a gauge on it, so you can clip it to the valve stem and adjust the pressure with the air still hooked up. Get it where you want it, just un-clip the hose and ride. 5 minute job and don't need 4 hands to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This has been posted many times before. Here is the correct tool with the correct angle to air up your spyder's rear tire.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/extend...iABEgKq3PD_BwE
    And here's a tire pressure gauge that's also compatible with the correct angle needed.
    https://jacosuperiorproducts.com/pro...yABEgJeAvD_BwE

Spyder Garage

This is great for adjusting tire pressure up or down. Easily adds air and bleeds air. It clips on to the valve stem so you don't have to remove it until you are done. No need for a valve extender or angled air chuck. I find that if I get my valve stem right at 5 o'clock, I can easily attach it and remove it. Also useful for tires on your cage. One of my best investments.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C25C4CQ...&sprefix=jaco+
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Short of installing an accessible valve stem on the other side of the rim, you just have to overcome the struggle of airing up that rear tire the way it is by becoming creative and resourceful. Lord knows if I can do it you can do it. If I can no longer air up my tires then's the time to give up riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    This is great for adjusting tire pressure up or down. Easily adds air and bleeds air. It clips on to the valve stem so you don't have to remove it until you are done. No need for a valve extender or angled air chuck. I find that if I get my valve stem right at 5 o'clock, I can easily attach it and remove it. Also useful for tires on your cage. One of my best investments.

This is a great tool.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Short of installing an accessible valve stem on the other side of the rim, you just have to overcome the struggle of airing up that rear tire the way it is by becoming creative and resourceful. Lord knows if I can do it you can do it. If I can no longer air up my tires then's the time to give up riding.
    I was the first one here to move the Schrader valve to the disk side of the wheel .... The first time I did it, after the mechanic removed the rear tire from the wheel I took it home and did the drilling and adding the new angle valve .... for my other two, I just brought a battery drill & bit and did it while there in the shop. ... it took all of five minutes .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Whoever did the tire swap should have put on one that was a little longer ..... JMHO .... Glad you using 18 PSI .... Mike
    and balanced the wheel with the extender on
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    and balanced the wheel with the extender on
    From what others have reported here MOST tire shops can't balance the Rear wheel ..... However in my experience ( and others here ) the Rear wheel and tire don't NEED to balanced .... Mike

Spyder Garage

That's the one I use. I like the digital readout verse the kind with the needle type gauge.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what others have reported here MOST tire shops can't balance the Rear wheel ..... However in my experience ( and others here ) the Rear wheel and tire don't NEED to balanced .... Mike
    Right on Mike, the belt vibration masks the tire vibration if there is any.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just bought one of those from Amazon, received it yesterday and wow it works great , no need for an extender, a piece of cake to use for this 80 year old.

Thanks for the suggestion, I can do all 3 tires in no time at all. A definite 'Must Have'.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Just bought one of those from Amazon, received it yesterday and wow it works great , no need for an extender, a piece of cake to use for this 80 year old.

Thanks for the suggestion, I can do all 3 tires in no time at all. A definite 'Must Have'.
    Probably wont work for me since I do not have an air compressor. I might need to get one, I guess
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Probably wont work for me since I do not have an air compressor. I might need to get one, I guess
    Yep. If ya have room for it its worth its weight in the gold stuff. I dont run mine until I am doing some work requiring some air. Check the pressures and adjust if ya have to before you leave home and all sorts of other uses.

Those snap on gauges, trigger type hookup. Yes they are great but the pressure dials are off the clock. I have one but swapped the dial out for an 0 - 60 p.s.i. Much easier to set to the lower pressures of these Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, you gotta have air compressor for that, but if you look around on the web or tool stores, you can find some nice, dependable, small, air compressors. They are very light weight, tankless, and run on household current. Easy to move around, very convenient, and you can get top of the line small portables for less than $100. I have 2 big shop compressors, but just for airing up a couple vehicle tires, I don't bother with dragging out all the heavy duty, stiff air hose. I just grab the small tankless and use an extension cord. For the small tires, you might want a small 12 volt that runs on the battery, to carry with you, but I am working mostly around the shop and have a small portable that plugs in 110 volt outlet, because airing up trucks, trailers, or loader tires takes a little more than the small 12 volts can handle.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 10-14-2023 at 07:52 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

From what I have run into and I actually have one of the harley guys from the local harley shop to thank for this suggestion is to use a local shop that works on ATV's and side by sides and they have the equipment to balance the tires with. The shop he referred me to works on can-am side by sides so they had everything they needed to do the balance.

But I think on the next go round I am going to give the balance bead bags a try so I can remove the weights off of the wheels. Even though the shop mounts them good the clearance between the brakes is very close (on the front) and I don't want to risk a strike on the brake if the adhesive becomes loose on the weight.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You definitely need an Air Compressor
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

If your not swapping tyres out on bikes you may get by with a small electric one, or an old school hand pump style for maintenance pressures.

hand pump s.jpg

Spyder Garage
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey