Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Check that tire pressure!

Gave my 2021 RTL a good once over before getting ready for the spyder rally in Maggie Valley next week. Checking the tire pressure can be a chore, but it is worth it. My fronts had 12 and 13 pounds in each. The rear only had around 18. Got that corrected and now I am ready to ride. Hope to see some of you next week.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Leaving tomorrow from Wisconsin…..
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Guess just how many times you rode on low pressure tires. Get some tire pressure sensors. You'll know all the time what your tire pressures are.

Spyder Garage

I'll be there Wednesday morning early. Going to give mine the once over tomorrow.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Be there Wednesday after lunch.
    2019 Rt limited chrome , Phoenix orange

Spyder Garage

Good reminder with the temps getting cooler on the top of the world.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

FOBO can be your friend.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

i just ordered FOBO2. now can check pressure with just smartphone. WOW - all in that small cap is pressure sensor, circuit board, and a bluetooth antenna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is MICRO machining!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    i just ordered FOBO2. now can check pressure with just smartphone. WOW - all in that small cap is pressure sensor, circuit board, and a bluetooth antenna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is MICRO machining!!!
    Where did you get it?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Where did you get it?
    Amazon....seems to be all sellers are $148. Also Lamonster sells them too. Take your pick
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Filled mine up yesterday. Fronts were down to 14 and the back was at 24. Added air and now she rides like a cadillac.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Checking the pressure in the rear tire is one of the few things I really dislike about my RT. While some may have the dexterity to do it while on their feet, I find that I have to lay flat on my back, and despite my damaged shoulders, reach the valve stem and use a tire pressure gauge. I bought the FOBO2 system not long after getting my RT, and prior to screwing on the transmitter caps of the system, I got the air pressure up to 30 in back and 20 in front. For the most part this allows me to go through the laying on my back process only once each riding season. For this year, I got the tires to the 20/30 level in April, and now here in Oct I am at 19/29 and likely fine until it is time to put the bike away for the winter. And by the way, when I have to go through the process of removing the caps and adding air each Spring, I also change the battery in each of the caps. The battery likely would last at least two years but I'd rather spend the few bucks for new batteries than risk having to again lay down on the ground midway through the riding season. I check the pressures, on my smart phone, before every ride.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Unless I got a faulty FOBO2 set, be aware your known pressure and what shows on your smartphone may not be the same..after making sure all tire pressures are where you want them (I do 18/28 and also replace batteries yearly) take a screen shot of the smartphone reading..this is my baseline, not the 18/28 I know them to be..
    2021 RTL Chalk White (a paler shade of grey, of which there are 50)
    Name: GreyGhost

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Unless I got a faulty FOBO2 set, be aware your known pressure and what shows on your smartphone may not be the same..after making sure all tire pressures are where you want them (I do 18/28 and also replace batteries yearly) take a screen shot of the smartphone reading..this is my baseline, not the 18/28 I know them to be..
    Where do you get your “known pressure” from, GreyGhost? Removing your inflator or pressure gauge from the tyre and then reinstalling FOBO will always let some air escape, so what you perceive as your “known pressure” probably isn’t any more, anyway.
    Hmmmmmmm…..after reading that, I don’t know that it makes any sense ….oh well.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The first few times I went back to verify when the FOBO was showing significantly less..the pressure was still within 1 psi of where it started..
    2021 RTL Chalk White (a paler shade of grey, of which there are 50)
    Name: GreyGhost

Spyder Garage

I bought one of these tire inflators off Amazon.com, It was $59 US.

"AVID POWER Tire Inflator Portable Air Compressor, 12V DC / 120V AC Car Tire Pump, Air Mattress Pump with Inflation and Deflation Modes, Dual Powerful Motors, Digital Pressure Gauge"

(Model ACAP322).

I measured against a calibrated gauge and it was within 0.25 PSI under 50 psi. It does all the four normal measurement units.

What I do is set the unit to 20 PSI and then inflate both fronts until it hits the limit and automatically shuts off. I checked the tires with a digital gauge and it was right on.

This way I can preset the pressure and just run the thing until it matches what I did to the other side front tire. It makes balancing pressures much easier.

I bought this one as it is 110 Volt (runs off 12 volt vehicle power too) which makes it so I don't have to worry about draining a motorcycle or Spyder battery.

I wasn't sure about this kind of unit, but I took a plunge at that price and it seems to work really well. The inbuilt light is really useful for locating the rear wheel Schrader valve as well.

Not something I would carry around as it is not the smallest kind of inflator available, but it works well in the garage. Inflates mattresses and sports balls as well, but I've not tried those.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I would guess you are viewing the pressure as compared to ambient temps and relative air pressure. You can turn that off in the app and it should read what the actual air pressure in the tire is.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

The first few times I went back to verify when the FOBO was showing significantly less..the pressure was still within 1 psi of where it started..

Interesting, GreyGhost. After I remove my inflator and reinstall Fobo, it never differs by more than .5 psi, so my two devices must be roughly “in sync”.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red