Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default KewlMetal performance air kit installed

I just finished the installation of the KewlMetal performance air kit. The kit is of very high quality and easy to install. I really don't know yet about the performance gain since I have only ridden in town for a few miles; but I can tell you from stoplight to stoplight it really seems strong. It is noiser than the stock box but I think I can live with it. The noise isn't so much air noise but engine noise coming through the intake, but only at certain RPM's. I did bump the fuel up with the JB so when I can get it out on the open road I'll see what she will do. I am impressed with the kit quality and the fact that it really cleans up the engine area. Very good product.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review. Keep us posted as you get a few more miles on it, and take it on the open road.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default Performance air kit

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Thanks for the review. Keep us posted as you get a few more miles on it, and take it on the open road.
    Well I had a chance this morning to take the Spyder out on the road to evaluate the KewlMetal air system. It does seem to pull harder in 5th gear from about 4000 RPM's up until it gets scary. The noise is certainly noticeable but at the same time cool (if you know what I mean). The noise doesn't sound like the "Bawl" sound that you would notice on a auto with a less restrictive air filter but more like engine sound from a very high performance engine. So far so good.

Michael
    Last edited by BLACK WIDOW; 11-21-2009 at 05:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    Well I had a chance this morning to take the Spyder out on the road to evaluate the KewlMetal air system. It does seem to pull harder in 5th gear from about 4000 RPM's up until it gets scarry. The noise is certainly noticeable but at the same time cool (if you know what I mean). The noise doesn't sound like the "Bawl" sound that you would notice on a auto with a less restrictive air filter but more like engine sound from a very high performance engine. So far so good.

Michael
    Received mine a few days ago and installing today. Impressed by the quality and looking forward to some throttle noise to drown out the mechanical noise.

Spyder Garage

Default Air Intake

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    Received mine a few days ago and installing today. Impressed by the quality and looking forward to some throttle noise to drown out the mechanical noise.
    I think you'll like it--The more I ride mine the better I like it.

Michael

Spyder Garage

That sounds great. It would be cool if one of you could post a video show we could hear the noise. It probably isn't necessary though, as I am definitely adding one of these to my future upgrades wish list.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Michael
    I know you are liking more just because....

I think it should get better because of the adaptive fuel strategy of the computer that should help the performance improve as time goes on. Even with a JB installed.

Keep us posted.
    Premeir Edition #59

SoCal

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I had a chance this morning to take the Spyder out on the road to evaluate the KewlMetal air system. It does seem to pull harder in 5th gear from about 4000 RPM's up until it gets scarry. The noise is certainly noticeable but at the same time cool (if you know what I mean). The noise doesn't sound like the "Bawl" sound that you would notice on a auto with a less restrictive air filter but more like engine sound from a very high performance engine. So far so good.

Michael
    Thanks for the review and test run.

Do you think this would also work well on a stock Spyder or does one need to add JB to balance air/fuel????
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Michael
    Sweet!! This is the setup that BRP should have used. Now theirs a lot more air circulation around the engine and looks like it was made for it. I found the throttle noise minimal but enough to mask the mechanical noise,could easily have handled more. A little at idle, some more on acceleration, none after 50, can't hear past the wind noise.

Spyder Garage

Default Air intake

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I know you are liking more just because....

I think it should get better because of the adaptive fuel strategy of the computer that should help the performance improve as time goes on. Even with a JB installed.

Keep us posted.
    I think you may be right

Michael

Spyder Garage

Default air intake

[QUOTE=BeRight;161136]Thanks for the review and test run.

Do you think this would also work well on a stock Spyder or does one need to add JB to balance air/fuel????[/QUOTE]

I think in order to realize the full potential of the KewlMetal set-up you would need to add more fuel as well as relieve exhaust back pressure. I am not saying that a stock spyder would not benefit with a high flow air system (the ECU will make some adjustments) but with a JB and different exhaust you would realize more of a difference in performance.

Michael

Spyder Garage

Default nos

I'M THINKING THAT PORT IN THE BASE PLATE WOULD WORK GREAT FOR A NITROUS FOGGER JET.

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor Mad Matt's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Black Widow,

Glad you like it. I could not stand the stock air box mainly because it cluttered up my engine compartment, and next because it tended to get sand in it and the air filter seal was questionable. Now I know I have no sand getting past my filter. It's very dusty here in AZ and I am on a gravel driveway so I am going to add a foam wrap to mine.

Matt

Spyder Garage

Default KewlMetal

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    Black Widow,

Glad you like it. I could not stand the stock air box mainly because it cluttered up my engine compartment, and next because it tended to get sand in it and the air filter seal was questionable. Now I know I have no sand getting past my filter. It's very dusty here in AZ and I am on a gravel driveway so I am going to add a foam wrap to mine.

Matt
    A very good product. The fit and finish Quality is outstanding.

Michael

Spyder Garage

I might get one this winter and see if that will be easier to incorporate my cold-air intakes to that setup. My setup is working okay now--- but I want a more refined looking setup.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default performance air set

I just got through adding some sound deadening material to the back side of the yoke pannel (the one that sets just above the air cleaner) to see if that would reduce the intake sounds from the KewlMetal air kit. The noise (which was never to loud) was substantially reduced and changed to a more mellow sound when accelerating. The material is a thin (approx. 1/8 inch thick) foil covered rubber like material that is sold for acoustical speaker cabinets and is self adhesive with a peel off back. Easy to apply and thin enough that it doesn't compromise the panel fit. Works good and easy to apply.

Michael

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've been reading the post & replies about the KM air box repacement. I've beem a engine builder & tuner,for some years now. My concern is the removeing of the velocity stacks from intake. After doing much testing on dynoes, one thing we have learned is, 1, just cause it sounds louder dose'nt mean its making better performance, 2, seat of the pants rarely feels 4-5 hp changes. I have found that changing the length of the inlet runner length. V.E. calculation will change more then what a juice box or a stock ecu will be able to correct. It's might be possible to cut out the stock stacks an modify to fit the KM system, but might be restriced the total air mass that is now not surrounding the stacks. I hope to be able to shine some lite on this as soon as I can talk the bh, in to putting her spyder on the dyno. Her exact words " dyno your bikes, just leave my spyder alone" Gene

Spyder Garage

I have heard the does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and tops out over 110 MPH Stock???

Does this JB and filter system affect your warranty if the engine grenades??
    I s the Noise and perceived increase in performance worth +or- $500???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Air Intake

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I have heard the does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and tops out over 110 MPH Stock???

Does this JB and filter system affect your warranty if the engine grenades??
    I s the Noise and perceived increase in performance worth +or- $500???
    1) NO.
    2) perception is reality.

Michael

Spyder Garage

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    I've been reading the post & replies about the KM air box repacement. I've beem a engine builder & tuner,for some years now. My concern is the removeing of the velocity stacks from intake. After doing much testing on dynoes, one thing we have learned is, 1, just cause it sounds louder dose'nt mean its making better performance, 2, seat of the pants rarely feels 4-5 hp changes. I have found that changing the length of the inlet runner length. V.E. calculation will change more then what a juice box or a stock ecu will be able to correct. It's might be possible to cut out the stock stacks an modify to fit the KM system, but might be restriced the total air mass that is now not surrounding the stacks. I hope to be able to shine some lite on this as soon as I can talk the bh, in to putting her spyder on the dyno. Her exact words " dyno your bikes, just leave my spyder alone" Gene
    What is a V.E. calculation, and how does that calculation correlate with the capabilities of the JB and the ECU?

Just some questions that went through my mind as I was reading your post.

Michael

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry there Black Widow for the delay in this reply. I had to leave for a couple days to, help a buddy retrieve a huge bull elk, he shot. I don't want to hijack the topic of this thread so I will start a new one for those that might have a intrest, thanks Gene

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    I have made only two performance enhancements to my Spyder and thats the Hindle exhaust and this K&n intake. After the Hindle install the ecu only compensated so far and I still experienced some backfires and sputters until I installed this intake and now it runs beautifully.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just installed the KewlMetal air cleaner last weekend and I do not find the intake noise offensive. It reminds me of my younger days on my Super Sport when I'd flip the air cleaner cover to get the intake sound from the QuadraJet carb. I do like being able to see and work on the motor on the right side. That massive original air box made it difficult to work on. It seems to pull stronger but I think it is more the placebo effect.

Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redcarbon View Post
    I'M THINKING THAT PORT IN THE BASE PLATE WOULD WORK GREAT FOR A NITROUS FOGGER JET.
    Now you got my attention!!!!!
    Matt,
    I think when Daniels new RT hits the garage we fog what will be your Spyder!!!!!!
    Big Joe.

Spyder Garage

Default performance

Quote Originally Posted by SLO RYDER View Post
    I just installed the KewlMetal air cleaner last weekend and I do not find the intake noise offensive. It reminds me of my younger days on my Super Sport when I'd flip the air cleaner cover to get the intake sound from the QuadraJet carb. I do like being able to see and work on the motor on the right side. That massive original air box made it difficult to work on. It seems to pull stronger but I think it is more the placebo effect.

Mike
    After I added the Hindle, JB, and now the KewlMetal system I have always said that the performance was enhanced but that was only a seat of the pants evaluation. Today I talked my buddy, who owns a bone stock 09 SM5, to try a few trial runs with me in order to evaluate my performance against his. Reluctantly, he finally agreed, so we set up three trials one from a standing start to not over 70 mph. The second from 40 mph starting in 3rd gear to not over 80 mph. The third from 70 mph in 5th gear to as fast as you feel comfortable. I could easily take the stock Spyder in every attempt. The most noticeable was the 70 mph start in 5th gear; just literaly left him in the distance. So unless there is something wrong with his Spyder the performance mods do work and it is not just a false perception. BTW: We are within 5 lbs. of the same weight.