Spyder Garage

Default Anyone had problems with their Left Headlight Assy? Ideas?

Anyone ever had problems with a headlight assembly? Was on a 5 day ride last week as I was pulling into garage wife noted my left headlight out. Since I have been wanting to upgrade to LED I waited till I got some. Replaced fogs and headlights, left headlight still out. Replace with three different bulbs still out. Everything else is still working fine. Not checked the plug yet just wondering if it could be in the circuit board of the assembly. If left and right plugs are same I can pull right side again and plug into left that will eliminate or point me in right direction I hope. not sure if the circuit board is replaceable. (Just brainstorming and searching for help). Doug
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2023 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try plugging the right side harness into the left light as you propose. It's the same with the exception that the left plug has a jumper that keeps the filaments powered when the headlight is in lo beam mode. The circuit board could have crapped out but this would be the first such instance reported here, I believe. The headlight assemblies have no replaceable parts, it's the whole thing or nothing.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Is there power to bulb or is the shutter not working? Bulb testing: do NOT touch glass of bulb , Can attempt swapping with other side, can add some bulb grease at connections. See if have damaged or terminals not making good connections.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Fixed it. After removing headlight assy again I saw that the aftermarket LED had a + - on its plug and a locking tang on both sides, flipped it, plugged it in then plugged the assy back in and it came on. Live and learn. The lights I am installing are the T2 Series conversion from Slingmods just in case anyone wants to know. Doug

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ddub View Post
    Fixed it. After removing headlight assy again I saw that the aftermarket LED had a + - on its plug and a locking tang on both sides, flipped it, plugged it in then plugged the assy back in and it came on. Live and learn. The lights I am installing are the T2 Series conversion from Slingmods just in case anyone wants to know. Doug
    I should have mentioned that has been noted as a problem, but always with LED bulbs. When you said you tried three different bulbs I assumed the other bulbs were incandescent so polarity would not be a problem. But with the circuit board involved I guess it could. And you know what happens when you assume, right?

Lesson learned - polarity matters, even with the incandescent bulbs.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)