Spyder Garage

Default How do I clear a VSS fault without a reader/scanner?

I have a can am Ryker rally 900ACE 2021. My traction symbol is on and engine light flashes. Is there any way to clear this without the scanner?

Spyder Garage

Firstly, very few BRP/Can Am faults can be sorted with just any reader &/or scanner, almost all faults that are significant will require the BRP proprietary BUDS/BUDS2 system to resolve.

Buuut, do you know what triggered either/both? Have you tried carefully riding it a couple of hundred metres?

Often, the VSS can be triggered by a momentary (or maybe a bit longer) difference in rotational speed differences between the wheels; and the Check Engine light can be a 'catch all' warning for things that don't have their own warning light... And if there's a fault that occurs and then goes away (saaayyy, when that wheel you lifted drops back onto the ground and starts spinning at the same speed as the rest of them. ) then the warnings can be momentary warnings triggered by that but then clear themselves after short ride without the triggering issues recurring. However, if those triggers recur &/or go on for long enough, those warnings may be logged cos they're telling you that the trigger/fault needs to be resolved before they'll clear themselves or can otherwise be cleared by connecting the BUDS/BUDS2 & resolving that way - so do you know or have any idea about what happened to trigger those warnings??

You might want to check things like the speed sensors & index discs on each wheel - if there's a sensor unplugged or maybe mud caught in a few teeth on one or more of those index discs, the wheel speed sensor signal sent to the computer can be somewhat confusing about wheel speed and so trigger a VSS fault because the computer gets that dodgy reading and thinks that you're spinning/sliding madly all over the road... or maybe you've just got one really flat tire that's turning slower than the rest?

Still, you need to try and identify then fix the problem/s that've triggered those warnings so that they can (might??) clear themselves, or if it's a more significant/ongoing thing, you just might be stuck with needing BUDS/BUDS2 Sorry!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you. The codes are C0064 and C006C on my OBD scanner and in bike settings. I know I need BUDS 2. I’ve rode it and VSS doesn’t stay on the screen the whole time it come on and off, but the engine like and traction light are always on.

Spyder Garage

Not that I can help all that much with Rykers (for some reason, I don't see too many of them over here?? ) but if you do a search here on those codes, only C006C comes up, but every time it does, it's related to brakes & comms faults of some sort... eg.

C006C - Comms intermittent/erratic &/or Check Sum Error - May be triggered by ECM or any VCM blown fuse. Check for comms fault;
    I couldn't see anything on the first code you put up during a thorough cursory glance at the Forum, but you might want to try entering C006C in the Search box up toward the Top Right Corner of the screen, ticking the 'Show Results as Posts' box, & submitting the search - then have a read thru what's produced in the results. None of it might be exactly specific, but it should give you some ideas on what to look for. The first few results may not be applicable at all, but working down the page it started to get interesting & sounding more like it could help you. It's always worth doing a Search.

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Katerob00 View Post
    Thank you. The codes are C0064 and C006C on my OBD scanner and in bike settings. I know I need BUDS 2. I’ve rode it and VSS doesn’t stay on the screen the whole time it come on and off, but the engine like and traction light are always on.
    From a Google search C0064 appears to be related to the roll rate sensor and the comment is that the sensor is not within factory settings.
    Last edited by Lee0123; 09-28-2023 at 06:25 PM.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT