Spyder Garage

Default Ride feel - should I set-up for 2-up now or get used to solo first?

I am new to riding and this is true of three wheels also. I have a new 2023 S2S. I am 5’ 7” and 174 lbs. My wife is considerable bigger then me. We will be riding two up. Question is, should I set up the bike with new sway bar and shocks now and get used to driving this way from the start. I will be getting Ron’s sway bar soon.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2023 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

My standard answer is to put at least 1,000 miles on your Spyder before doing anything to it. This will help you get used to the machine and will also cement ideas as to what you like and what you don't like. Then you can target aftermarket products to address what you want to improve with realistic expectations and an understanding of what you are doing. It will also give you a very good understanding of exactly what each modification is doing (or not doing) for you.

While this approach is not ideal for everyone (some want a sway bar or whatever right away for good reasons like they are going on a 4,000 mile trip and don't want to suffer that long). The only (and rare) customers that tell me they didn't notice much difference with a sway bar upgrade were those who only had a few miles on their Spyder before doing it. They didn't really have a baseline to compare the before and after. I prefer thrilled customers. Not 'Oh Well' customers. And I'm sure the customer feels the same.

If you need any information. You can always call the shop at 423-609-7588 and speak with myself or Daniel. Our primary goal is to help, not to sell. Selling you something that won't make you happy isn't doing anyone any good. But you are on the right track. Asking before buying makes for a better experience.

You're going to LOVE your Spyder!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-27-2023 at 02:57 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It is a new bike. Quite well from the factory. Ride it.

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much. I will take your advice to heart. I have drove the bike solo a little and it feels fine. I was more concerned while riding with my wife. I will hold off on the sway arm for now. at so time I will be getting one. Thank you again.

Spyder Garage

Baxter, it does ride very nice with just me. Not having any trouble with bike not tracking straight. I use a light touch and it works well. Really like the bike so far.

Spyder Garage

I would not add anything unless it was a phone or cup holder. Ron, says ride a 1,000 miles before doing anything, I say 2,500. Just because someone says you need something does not mean you do. It will take a while to come to grips with riding, then it will take a while longer to decide any changes you want to make.

Unless you just happen to have unlimited funds...then all bets are off, go for it. But then you will never know what did what.

BTW, to answer the original question, ALWAYS get used to and comfortable with the machine before adding a passenger. Two or three wheeled.
    Last edited by EdMat; 09-27-2023 at 08:08 PM.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Hi Ed. oh I know that. My wife says she will not ride with me until NEXT year. As in Spring at the earliest. I agree, I trust myself with my ability to ride by myself now, but do not trust my ability just yet with her. The real fun will start next spring.

Spyder Garage

The bike will feel different with the extra weight on it, it will feel heavy in the corners and going up hills. You will find yourself having to learn how to drive it all over again. The biggest thing from now, till then when you finally get to take your bride out for a ride, is RELAX, and go your speed, don't let traffic behind you set your comfort speed. If cars come up on your butt and they start piling up behind you, pull over and let them by, it's your ride, do it the way you want to. And keep your head on a swivel, people in cars and trucks some time seem like they look right over you and do stupid stuff, act like they are all out to get you, and be safe.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Don't ever put a passenger on a bike if you are not completely comfortable with riding it solo. Passenger changes the way it handles, and some passengers that are unfamiliar with riding may seem to fight you when you are cornering.

If you been riding all your life, and can jump from one bike to another without any hesitation, then go for it. If you don't feel completely comfortable and in control, then wait until you do to add a passenger.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Don't ever put a passenger on a bike if you are not completely comfortable with riding it solo. Passenger changes the way it handles, and some passengers that are unfamiliar with riding may seem to fight you when you are cornering.

If you been riding all your life, and can jump from one bike to another without any hesitation, then go for it. If you don't feel completely comfortable and in control, then wait until you do to add a passenger.
    I agree that adding a passenger, especially one that outweighs you or is much taller than you, will change the way the bike handles. I gave a guy a ride many years ago on my Kawasaki Mach III. He was not all that heavy but 6'6" tall. He almost crashed us in a turn because he leaned against me. It was all I could do to compensate on that narrow mountain road. Very bad!

But the skill set to ride 2 wheels (especially with a rider) is light years greater than doing the same thing on a Spyder. Where there is almost zero need to compensate for what the rider is doing. Yes, it changes things and you need to go slow and steady until you are sure you can work together around turns. But it is much less critical.

I will say that lean and dive will increase noticeably. And the rider will feel it much more than the driver. It may scare the rider and I've had customers tell me that their wife will no longer ride because of it. This is not always the case, of course. But excessive lean, while not really dangerous, can be quite disconcerting. It feels like the bike is trying to throw you off or tip over. It won't. But just the feeling that it will is enough to end the game for some.

Our customers have run the gambit. From those who drive right from the dealership (about 3 miles away) and get a bar kit installed. One who, during the chip/parts shortage, had his new RT which was waiting to be released, driven down to have a bar kit installed. That thing had thrown dozens of codes having been ridden that way with the dash cluster (among other things) missing.

To customers with 50k or more and several years of riding come in for a bar kit saying they never felt the need for one, but decided to give it a try. They come back saying, 'I never knew what I was missing! I should have done this years ago!'

In the end, these are nothing more than suggestions. The final decision is always yours, and really, the only one that counts.

Have fun. Enjoy the progression as your abilities and understanding of the machine steadily improve.

Happy riders. That's what it's all about!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-28-2023 at 08:46 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Go solo first and get comfortable. Your wife will probably need a few instructions along the way. Be patient, go slow.
    I have always been a solo driver on all my motorcycles/trike/Spyder... until one day this past spring a passenger lady in the group said she could not stand to ride her husband's back seat for the rest of the ride - it was so hard and uncomfortable. You guessed it... my back seat was open... so... she was twice+ larger than I am.. I weigh 138 usually... that woman had me so pushed up against the handlebars I could barely operate the vehicle... was hard to get elbow room to steer and getting to the brake pedal was sketchy at best... we were in heavy twisties and the rest of the group was ahead of me. I drove slow a lot. Plus, as they have said, the bike just felt and handled differently with the passenger onboard. It was a surprise to me that this experience was so uncomfortable for me. In the future, a passenger on my Spyder will be told first and foremost how to sit back there like a proper passenger so that I can handle the vehicle.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I am confused by riders that are new to riding and especially to Spyders, that think that they need to start messing with suspension, shocks and tires before they really have enough seat time in. Can't speak about older versions but the newer ones(2020 and newer) are pretty good from factory for average rider.

Spyder Garage

All the above is good advice. Another card on the pile from me for riding 500 to 1000 miles before doing any add ons. I usually do windshield, seat, and lights. Never did any performance add ons. We did not replace the windshields on our F3's. Low yes, no problems from the wind though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Solo first minimal learn consoles & the feel of spyder in curves & turns. How to support yourself, Passenger will be different no handlebar feedback or control. Just the grab rails & food pegs & plenty of helmet bumping. Will have pull herself down while pushing on whatever peg (opposite the turn)& not hold onto you. Others please chime in as am mostly solo ryder.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights