Spyder Garage

Default Why buy an F3 rather than an RT?

When I bought my Spyder in 2021 I was brand new to 3 wheelers, having just decided that after 40 years on 2 wheels a change was needed. At the dealership I sat down on an F3, and then on an RT and based upon that momentary impression, decided to go with the RT. I have been more than happy with my RT, and do not regret not going for the RTL since I have not missed having a top box, and never liked the feel of heated seats so I was glad I saved $4K with the basic RT (and an added passenger backrest). But other than the slightly different seating position, I really don't know what differentiates the F3 from the RT. Especially looking at the F3 Limited, it seems almost idential to the RTL. I'm curious as to what motivated others to go the f3 direction.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    When I bought my Spyder in 2021 I was brand new to 3 wheelers, having just decided that after 40 years on 2 wheels a change was needed. At the dealership I sat down on an F3, and then on an RT and based upon that momentary impression, decided to go with the RT. I have been more than happy with my RT, and do not regret not going for the RTL since I have not missed having a top box, and never liked the feel of heated seats so I was glad I saved $4K with the basic RT (and an added passenger backrest). But other than the slightly different seating position, I really don't know what differentiates the F3 from the RT. Especially looking at the F3 Limited, it seems almost idential to the RTL. I'm curious as to what motivated others to go the f3 direction.
    If storage volume ( and or passenger comfort ) are not a consideration ..... then it comes down to " how it feels " to the opr. .... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The F3 is a totally different ride, in my opinion. The difference between a Cadillac and a Cobra GT. Well, maybe not that drastic. But definitely in that direction. I'm an F3 guy. I also prefer the manual to the SE. Though that is no longer an option. But I've got a 2015 F3. The best year (again, in my opinion).

Some things make your decision for you. If you're going to ride any distance 2-up. Then you are going to want an RT. If you are a single rider, like myself. Or an occasional 2-up for no more than day rides. An F3 could be in your ballpark. Then again, some ride 2-up long distance on a Ryker. Rare, but it happens. Now those people, I do not understand. But if it lights your fire, then grab your matches and have fun!

As always, it boils down to what you want most. Everything is a tradeoff. You have to give something up to get something else. The trick is to give up something you didn't want anyway.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-27-2023 at 11:09 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I am one of those that switched from the RT to the F3. We went with the Limited versions, since we were accustomed to the side luggage and the top box in the rear.

My first impressions of the F3 were similar to yours. I did not like the ergo's. Of course it was not set up in the proper position for me to ride comfortable. My adjustments were "short reach" bars (the longer ones), brake position #2, and the oversize brake pedal.

I got "good" deals on both my 2019 and the 2020's. I bought them sight unseen, and not test driven from i-Motorsports. Back then...the deals were good. They took my trades, both times, and delivered the brand new F3L's right to my home.

Now that I have been driving F3's since 2020, I am very happy with them. Compared to the Spyder RT's (I have had three), I like the lower center of gravity, and great control in the twisties. I have used the following comparison. You sit ON an RT and you sit IN the F3. The RT ride is like a Cadillac, and sitting on a comfortable sofa. The F3 ride is more like a Jaguar and we feel a "part of the ride."

The prices are not that far apart these days, and that is not surprising. The F3 is not LESS of a Spyder than the RT. It is a "different" feel and a different ride. For me and Linda, we have liked our F3's better.

Sadly, my health has stepped in and we have since sold the 2019. The 2020 is still up for sale.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...020-F3-Limited

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree with BajaRon. From the first time I saw an F3 I was in love. Low-slung, feet-forward, basically it just looks cool. Recently I sat on an RT in the showroom and loved the comfort, but I rode my F3 home.
    My riding is mostly 1-up with regular 2-up for a few hours, so the comfort level suits me fine. If I ever decide to do long distance, that'll be different. That said, once a year we do a longer ride with our group and the F3 is fine for that.
    I usually liken my decision to the woman I married. From the first time I saw her I knew she was "the one" (she still is). Same with Miss Scarlett, first time I saw her for sale I wanted to take her home (and I did). Its a guy thing.
    2016 S6E , Red

Spyder Garage

I'm just the opposite. I bought my 2019 F3S new and just recently bought a new RT S2S. After 900 miles on the RT, I'm still not used to sitting on the RT versus in the F3S. That said, like Baja Ron stated, I am liking the cush of the RT more/more for when I travel. Boils down to what you want out of it most..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is all up to the individuals personal taste. I have a F3 and a 2021 RTL. I do not need the rear trunk for luggage, but it is great for when the wife rides. Keep in mind that the ride and level of comfort is very different on the 2010-2019 RT vs the 2020+ RT.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I went from an 2014 RTS-SE 6 to a 2023 F3 LTD Special Series.

The reason I went to the 2023 F3 LTD Special Series was the price( I traded my 2014 RTS-SE6 because it needed the belt which had cogs missing and it was not driveable and the PIN replaced and my old was 9 years old) at the time. Plus my current spyder was on the sales floor at the dealership.

The F3 has the U-fit System, the ride is between the F3 LTD and the RTL is about the same. My 2023 F3 LTD Special Series handles the corners better then the RTL. My 2023 F3 LTD Special Series ,I sit lower and I am in a more relaxed position. I am also stretched out more. I am also 5 ft. 7 inches tall. I could have gone with an RT, but decided not to, because I am retired.

My first spyder was a 2012 RTS-SE5, traded/upgraded to a 2014 RTS-SE6 SOLD. My current is a 2023 F3 LTD Special Series Mineral Blue.

Also, my current spyder( 2023 F3 LTD Special Series ) has an automatic air ride system, short reach handlebars, fog lights, comfort seat.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 09-27-2023 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added to post 9/27/2023 @ 8:00 pm

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

The major spec differences between the RT-L and F3-L are longer rear shock travel, electric adjustable windshield, LED lights (although I haven’t checked the ‘23 F3 model for lighting), longer stock floorboards, better element protection. I’m a taller, larger rider, and I have to say I prefer the RT-L over the F3-L, which I owned previously, for touring…….but we are all different, with different drivers .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

My first Spyder was a 2020 RT Limited. First impression was that now I am sitting on top of a bike and not down in it. Always had the feeling that bike wanted to throw me off due to that sensation. the handlebar was such that my riding position was like sitting straight up. I now have a 2022 F3L Special. I now feel like I am part of the bike and taking turns much more comfortable. The handlebars are more rearward and I feel like I am riding my previous Harleys. The comfort seat that is standard on the Special is nice and comfortable on rides lasting up to 14 hours- 7775 mile stretches. I given up some stowage space up front but do not miss the twin radiators that acted like road vacuums collecting all the junk on the roads. F3L is the one for me.

Spyder Garage

It is an interesting study in the human psyche that most people think they are riding the best option. Many don't understand how others can enjoy something else. But that just means the machine you have checks most, if not all, of your boxes. We just have different sets of boxes to check. And that's the same story for everyone.

Ride to Live & Live to Ride!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Cost is an option for me so I got the base F3 and added a windshield and back seat over time. I had the option of buying a used RT and decided to pass since I preferred the sit in style of the F3 more.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    The major spec differences between the RT-L and F3-L are longer rear shock travel, electric adjustable windshield, LED lights (although I haven’t checked the ‘23 F3 model for lighting), longer stock floorboards, better element protection. I’m a taller, larger rider, and I have to say I prefer the RT-L over the F3-L, which I owned previously, for touring…….but we are all different, with different drivers .

Pete
    Pete,

The 2023 LTD Special Series has fog lights, heated handgrips( driver/passenger) short windshield, comfort seat, headlights, takes the corners very well.

My current is the 2023 F3 LTD Special Series Mineral Blue Matte.

Deanna

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

My first 3-wheeler was a Ryker Rally which I really enjoyed. At some point, my wife decided that she enjoyed riding with me (she would never get on the 2-wheeler) and it became clear that we needed something more comfortable for longer rides. We looked at the F3L and the RT and settled on a gently used F3L. Like others have stated, I felt more comfortable with the lower center of gravity on the F3L and the sportier look was more appealing to me. I didn’t spend enough time on the RT to compare overall comfort, but coming off the Ryker made the F3L feel like heaven. We’ve done several full day trips with no complaints. They’re both beautiful machines…
    2018 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how the 2020 F3 rides but I can tell you I do like the way the RT rides. After putting a Corbin seat on it, I like it even better. Once I swap out the rear shock with an Elka, I'm sure I'll like it even more. I don't like the air shock and definitely hate that I have to keep taking the seat off to make sure the air pressure is correct. BRP could have dont a better job there.

Sure it's big and with the wife loving her Ryker, I probably won't be doing much 2-up riding, but I don't care. With my back the way it is, comfort is the way for me, so I'm happy with my purchase. As others have stated, it's personal preference and what works for your situation.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It is all about what you want. You can pack just as much on an F3 as you can one of the models set up as touring machines. I have all kinds of woven nylon, heavy duty bags, that will strap on. I have always liked the fast, stripped down models. When I rode Harleys, I never owned a bagger. I put large saddle bags on one of my Sportsters, and then took them back off, because I did not like them on there. They were in the way of checking the tire, keeping an eye on the belt, and just didn't feel right. I did go touring on Sportsters, and without saddle bags. Run up 10,000 to 15,000 miles some summers. I pack light and carry the minimum with me. When I was younger, I rode the light, fast sport bikes, and never wanted to ride a full dresser. It is good that there is a choice. Everybody can ride what they like. I am 74 years old now, and I ride an F3-S Special Series, without windshield, only the gauge spoiler on it. It has no permanent bags. Got a small tank bag and nylon bag that straps to the pax seat. It is what I like. Fast, noisy, and simple........ if any modern bike, could ever be considered simple.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

when the new model came out i likened it to they put the f3 and the old rt in a blender and out came the best of both in the new rtl

Spyder Garage

My wife (passenger) wanted to be able to see forward over top of my helmet and the F3L allowed this. Riding is an activity shared by both of us and her requirements are as important as mine. We ride two up quite often and she didn’t want to spend much of her time leaning to the side to see forward. I also appreciate that I have another set of eyes scanning forward. In fact, her seeing forward was probably a deal breaker and if the F3 didn’t allow this I would still be riding my old bike or found one that allowed this.

The F3 seating position is more cruiser like which is what I was coming from and preferred. I also do a reasonable amount of work on my bikes and the F3 has less tupperware making it easier to access.

As stated above I transitioned from a cruiser to an F3 and am very happy. A buddy of mine transitioned from a Goldwing to an RT and he is also happy.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Pete,
    The 2023 LTD Special Series has fog lights, heated handgrips( driver/passenger) short windshield, comfort seat, headlights, takes the corners very well.
    Deanna
    It’s great to hear that your F3 has headlights, Deanna……..otherwise it would make night riding tricky, to say the least

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Only things that matter are the things that matter to you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    It’s great to hear that your F3 has headlights, Deanna……..otherwise it would make night riding tricky, to say the least

Pete
    Peteoz,

Thanks! Yes, it would

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

My first Can Am was a 2017 F3 LTD. I like the look and sound of the F3, but the seat was not comfortable. I could only ride about 400 miles and the seat felt like I was sitting on a rock. I sold it and later bought a 2021 RT Base. I feel if I need to heat the seat it is too cold to ride for me. The RT seat was like riding on a couch and I was able to ride over 900 miles in a day. I bought it June 2022 and as of today I have done 9400 miles.
    Whatever you have, enjoy it! We only are on this earth for a short time!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2023 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

In my case, two reasons in order of importance:

1. Riding the RT was painful due to my bad hips and knees.

2. I prefer "sitting in" and the lower CG of the F3 to "sitting on" the RT - there's less body roll in turns.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This just shows you that we are all different. For me, the F3 seating position is all wrong. Sitting IN it slows my accessing the brake much SLOWER. Sitting ON the RT allows me quick access to the brake, sooooo..... MUCH SAFER. This all on the pre-20’s, can’t speak on the post 20’s.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper