Spyder Garage

Default Is this rattling noise when pulling the throttle a problem?

I'm driving a Can-Am Spyder RT. When I pull the throttle all the way from a stop, I began hearing a rattle momentarily coming from my RT.

When I use the pedal commander, there is also a rattling noise.

There is noise only at the beginning, but there is no noise while running.

Is this a big problem?
    help..me... T_T

https://www.facebook.com/10000193627...71504989045431
    https://www.facebook.com/10000193627...47197727852238
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2023 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

It may just be the recordings, or maybe my 'no longer the greatest' hearing, but I really can't hear anything to worry about!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It may just be the recordings, or maybe my 'no longer the greatest' hearing, but I really can't hear anything to worry about!
    If I pull the throttle slowly, there is no noise, but if I pull the throttle momentarily, there is a rattling sound. Maybe my ears are too sensitive. Thank you Peter...

Spyder Garage

I hear it but can't tell you what it may be! Guessing maybe something loose, say on your exhaust, it sounds like metal to metal. Get someone to stand beside the bike and put their ears to it while you work the gas.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post
    If I pull the throttle slowly, there is no noise, but if I pull the throttle momentarily, there is a rattling sound. Maybe my ears are too sensitive. Thank you Peter...
    What octane fuel do you run, & does it have any ethanol in it? There's a really slight possibility that you might get a little momentary 'engine knock' if you are running a lower octane fuel than recommended, but I really doubt that you'd hear/notice it even if it did happen, cos the computers generally pick that up pretty quickly and compensate for it even faster!

Or maybe you're getting a moment of 'clutch chatter' as you open the throttle quickly when in gear/starting to ride off - but as I said earlier, I really don't hear anything like either of those in your recordings...

Do remember that these 1330 motors tend to sound just a little 'rattly' anyway, and that's especially so on the 2020+ models like your 2022 RT, cos they have less tupperware than the earlier models had around the engine to deaden the noise & dampen out the rattles.... So even if it is making some slight noise beyond what sounds like a momentary spurt of induction noise to me, something more that I just can't hear for whatever reason, I'd still reckon you're fairly safe in riding it as is without too much worry, at least for now.

Go On....

Ryde More, Worry Less! You KNOW you want to!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2023 at 08:11 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I hear it but can't tell you what it may be! Guessing maybe something loose, say on your exhaust, it sounds like metal to metal. Get someone to stand beside the bike and put their ears to it while you work the gas.
    It was strange to hear it all of a sudden when there was usually no sound...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    What octane fuel do you run, & does it have any ethanol in it? There's a really slight possibility that you might get a little momentary 'engine knock' if you are running a lower octane fuel than recommended, but I really doubt that you'd hear/notice it even if it did happen, cos the computers generally pick that up pretty quickly and compensate for it even faster!

Or maybe you're getting a moment of 'clutch chatter' as you open the throttle quickly when in gear/starting to ride off - but as I said earlier, I really don't hear anything like either of those in your recordings...

Do remember that these 1330 motors tend to sound just a little 'rattly' anyway, and that's especially so on the 2020+ models like your 2022 RT, cos they have less tupperware than the earlier models had around the engine to deaden the noise & dampen out the rattles.... So even if it is making some slight noise beyond what sounds like a momentary spurt of induction noise to me, something more that I just can't hear for whatever reason, I'd still reckon you're fairly safe in riding it as is without too much worry, at least for now.

Go On....

Ryde More, Worry Less! You KNOW you want to!
    I usually use premium gasoline with an octane rating of 97 to 98.
    As Peter said, it feels like a “clutch noise” when I open the throttle quickly.

I feel at ease knowing that there is no major problem.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2023 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I think I heard it briefly. Just as it came off the idle. Surprised if you open the throttle R E A L L l Y S L O W LY you cant replicate it.

Sounds like something is loose.

If it were mine I would put the front wheels up on ramps. Walk away for a while and let the exhaust pipe cool so you can grab and wobble it. Then investigate by tapping wobbling everything I could get to while its cool. No joy. Then start it and get someone to only just move the throttle , then release. You may hear it and locate it.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like clutch engagement on an SE to me. How many miles on what engine oil?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Sounds like clutch engagement on an SE to me. How many miles on what engine oil?
    I replaced it with a genuine 5w-40 Can-Am at 1800 miles. Current Can-Am mileage is 4350 miles. I haven't changed the oil yet.
    Last edited by kongdoly; 09-27-2023 at 01:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I think I heard it briefly. Just as it came off the idle. Surprised if you open the throttle R E A L L l Y S L O W LY you cant replicate it.

Sounds like something is loose.

If it were mine I would put the front wheels up on ramps. Walk away for a while and let the exhaust pipe cool so you can grab and wobble it. Then investigate by tapping wobbling everything I could get to while its cool. No joy. Then start it and get someone to only just move the throttle , then release. You may hear it and locate it.
    thank you.!

Spyder Garage

My new 2023 RT STS has a similar issue. When I start it cold it makes this chirping sound and also when I rev the engine slightly I get this chatter sort of noise in the engine area. When going though the gears on the road I get the chatter as well. The noise seems to go away or smooth out at speed. Shifting gears is seems to be smooth. When down shifting I get the chirping/chatter as well. I have it at the dealer now so they can look into it. I'm thinking it might be a clutch issue, but not sure. At first I thought it was vibration from the panels, but everything there looks fine, muffler shields and hardware are tight. This is my 4th Spyder and none of my previous models had this issue. Needless to say I am a little concerned at this time. I plan to do an oil change to see if anything changes.

Spyder Garage

I wonder if the chirp you are hearing is the torque limiting drive shaft to the alternator. It is designed to slip in case of overload in which case it can make some strange noises.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I am just putting this out there , would be something to do with the shifting gear box! Or the transmission!!!!

The above are just thoughts.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue